Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:17 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
to the OP, sorry sir/maam, but you cannot say that NJ's cities are not crime ridden. Name 1 that isnt. Newark, nope. Trenton, nope, JC, nope, Camden, nope. New Brunswick, nope. Paterson, nope. they all suck. and are most definitely crime ridden.
Newark, Trenton and Camden are but New Brunswick isn't and Paterson isn't bad outside of one area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 10:25 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
As I remember it during the days of the 1970's when operating CB radios in cars was quite popular the entire area of NYC, northern NJ and adjacent LI was called "DirtySide". Comparing that to a trip say to New England, one would be not too far off, but DirtySide did not include most of the exurban portions of NJ.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:09 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
to the OP, sorry sir/maam, but you cannot say that NJ's cities are not crime ridden. Name 1 that isnt. Newark, nope. Trenton, nope, JC, nope, Camden, nope. New Brunswick, nope. Paterson, nope. they all suck. and are most definitely crime ridden.
Compared to what? (check the US list of most dangerous cities and you'll see what I mean) I can think of very few cities that are clean of crime. Even NYC is having a recent spike in crime.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
Quote:
Ocean City. Clean, safe, and doesn't suck in my opinion. I know many of our cities aren't the greatest, but they aren't all crime ridden. Vineland, the city I live in, has a somewhat dangerous downtown, but beyond those one or two square miles the rest of the city (a total of 69 square miles) is safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
If you've never heard Jersey refereed to as being dirty you haven't been watching enough late night comedians. As for the origin of the phrase, I believe it is en route to the notorious history of the state's corrupt politicians.
I usually don't here this phrase from comedians, I have heard many other things, but not this statement. What bothers me is people from NJ saying "going back to the dirty". Mind you, if it comes from our politicians, it makes total sense to me.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:48 AM

614 posts, read 1,375,487 times
Ever heard of The "Sopranos" ? Hmm maybe dirty in that way.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
yea and im pretty sure that most of the stench in NJ comes from staten island!
I'm a Jersey girl - and always will be - but I have to tell you that there is no stench here on SI now that we got rid of YOUR garbage! Yup, Jersey garbage used to come here - no more.

As for Jersey being dirty - unfortunately that image is what many people get when they travel the turnpike through Elizabeth - and talk about stink! Whew!

I also still remember the Schickhouse slaughtering plant in Harrison - man, that was a smell !

But those are isolated sections of NJ. I'm still amazed at how rural the northwestern corner or the western section (where 78 hasn't caused an influx of commuters yet) of Jersey is or parts of the shore area in southern Jersey. I have a friend from NY who moved to New Brunswick - and she told me she lived in Southern Jersey.

Jersey is beautiful - as are most parts of this country - you just can't base your opinion on a small fragment of the area.

So ignore those who put it down - they are simply ignorant.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:44 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
The idea of "Dirty Jersey" came from this video:

YouTube - CHUNKY PAM DIRRRTY JERZY COMEDY (north jersey and the jersey shore)

Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
The notion of "Dirty Jersey" comes from the petulant children across the Hudson River. How can NJ possibly be more dirty than NYC?
My neighborhood does not smell like stale urine & garbage juice, yet those who live like that have the nerve to talk about others.
The piles of garbage I see stacked up on the curbs of NYC do not exist in my neck of the woods.
My New Jersey town certainly does smell........................................... Like trees.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:09 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Honestly, those towns don't have crime rates any higher than other similar cities. The more I travel, the more astounded I am by what people think NJ is. NJ is an absolutely beautiful state, and has so, so, so many advantages over the vast majority of the 50 states.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
If the ridiculous nickname really originated because of THAT, then that fat disgusting pig should be shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey