Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times

Advertisements

Yeah at least it's a "dry heat" this time.

But still, it's dang hot! And I don't like it one bit. It's only early July and this is already the hottest summer I've experienced in NJ (7 summers total) although either 06 or 07 was pretty bad too. I know a lot of people complained about the rain and cool weather we had for half of last summer, but I'd take that weather in a heartbeat over this crap. And I know a lot of people complained about the snow last winter, but I loved every minute of it. I can't wait for September!

Maybe I'm more cut out for life in Vermont than NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 12:32 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I wonder where all the "It's too hot in Florida for me to live there" backers who won't leave New Jersey are now? I've consistently maintained that summers in New Jersey are as miserable as they are in Florida, and even moreso than coastal Florida.
Had to laugh at that one, Mike. My brother emailed me yesterday, telling me it hit 106 at his office in NJ. He asked me how hot it was in Atlanta, fully expecting that it'd be hotter than in NJ, and when I replied that it hadn't broken 90, he didn't believe me.

We've been in the high 80's/low-mid 90's for the past three weeks, but with little humidity- it's 91 right now, with 44% humidity, and a 66 degree dewpoint (for a "feels like" 93), which is right about what we've been having for the past few weeks. By comparison, Branchburg, NJ is currently showing 99 degrees, 30% humidity and a 62 degree dewpoint, for a "feels like" 100. It looks like they're going to "cool down" into the mid 80's over the next few days, but only because of some storms, which will drive the humdity up into the 60-70% range, for a "feels like" of around 90. Bleh......

Old 07-07-2010, 01:09 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Had to laugh at that one, Mike. My brother emailed me yesterday, telling me it hit 106 at his office in NJ. He asked me how hot it was in Atlanta, fully expecting that it'd be hotter than in NJ, and when I replied that it hadn't broken 90, he didn't believe me.

We've been in the high 80's/low-mid 90's for the past three weeks, but with little humidity- it's 91 right now, with 44% humidity, and a 66 degree dewpoint (for a "feels like" 93), which is right about what we've been having for the past few weeks. By comparison, Branchburg, NJ is currently showing 99 degrees, 30% humidity and a 62 degree dewpoint, for a "feels like" 100. It looks like they're going to "cool down" into the mid 80's over the next few days, but only because of some storms, which will drive the humdity up into the 60-70% range, for a "feels like" of around 90. Bleh......
yet when it was colder in atlanta than here over the winter, it was an anomaly.

and the bolded kind of proves the point. you said "which is right about what we've been having for the past few weeks". we have not, or will not, have this weather for weeks. i know we're not talking about georgia (but somehow it does veer off topic), but the premise is the same.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Yeah at least it's a "dry heat" this time.

But still, it's dang hot! And I don't like it one bit. It's only early July and this is already the hottest summer I've experienced in NJ (7 summers total) although either 06 or 07 was pretty bad too. I know a lot of people complained about the rain and cool weather we had for half of last summer, but I'd take that weather in a heartbeat over this crap. And I know a lot of people complained about the snow last winter, but I loved every minute of it. I can't wait for September!

Maybe I'm more cut out for life in Vermont than NJ.
duh. don't you know these 3 days are the yardstick that is used to generalize NJ summers for ever and ever and ever? never mind that I used my air maybe 2 times last summer (and that's no exaggeration) and I can't remember the last time it hit 100, these 3 days are IT! FLORIDA SUMMERS = NJ SUMMERS DAMMIT!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
yet when it was colder in atlanta than here over the winter, it was an anomaly.

and the bolded kind of proves the point. you said "which is right about what we've been having for the past few weeks". we have not, or will not, have this weather for weeks. i know we're not talking about georgia (but somehow it does veer off topic), but the premise is the same.

Here's a question for you- Why is it that you hear about people dying from the heat in places like NJ, PA, etc. practically every year, yet you never (I know- never say never....) hear about it happening in the south?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:33 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post
I think that during heatwaves like this it's comparable, as long as we have high humidity, too, but that's the only time. In Florida, you don't just have this with heatwaves. It's just normal weather for maybe 8-9 months. Then it's just slightly cooler for a couple months. Although this year they had a very odd end to their winter, with not just cool but often cold temperatures lasting for a few weeks.

I don't even want this weather for a couple days. Moving back to it for 8-9 months out of the year isn't something I'd want to do.
It's not normal to be north of 100 degrees for 8-9 months out of the year anywhere in Florida, even in a place like Ocala or Immolakee. You will approach 92-94 degrees for maybe 3-4 months out of the year inland in Florida.

The highest recorded temperature in Florida is only higher than I think only 4 other states. It's almost impossible to get that hot because water moderates air temperatures in almost every region of the state.

In no way am I backing the Sunshine State. I have relatives there, have visited there many, many times, and have several issues with several areas of the state. However, Florida receives a bad weather rap that is often unwarranted. The current summer weather in the northeast is a perfect example.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Here's a question for you- Why is it that you hear about people dying from the heat in places like NJ, PA, etc. practically every year, yet you never (I know- never say never....) hear about it happening in the south?
edited:

http://newstandardnews.net/content/?...em&itemid=3466

http://myeldercareblog.com/sanitasol...n-to-the-heat/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...62-504083.html

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/?n=fla_weather_casualties

Old 07-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
It's not normal to be north of 100 degrees for 8-9 months out of the year anywhere in Florida, even in a place like Ocala or Immolakee. You will approach 92-94 degrees for maybe 3-4 months out of the year inland in Florida.

The highest recorded temperature in Florida is only higher than I think only 4 other states. It's almost impossible to get that hot because water moderates air temperatures in almost every region of the state.

In no way am I backing the Sunshine State. I have relatives there, have visited there many, many times, and have several issues with several areas of the state. However, Florida receives a bad weather rap that is often unwarranted. The current summer weather in the northeast is a perfect example.
100 degrees is not normal, but 90's with stifling humidity is. It's not "normal" here and you can't use 3 days of unusual weather to make a blanket statement and say NJ summers = FL summers.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
when?
Well, according to the news, there's been at least 1 death in NJ, 1 in NY, and 8 in MD attributed to the current heat wave. I'm not going to go digging back through the news archives to find past years, but it happens pretty much every time it gets hot up there.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Well, according to the news, there's been at least 1 death in NJ, 1 in NY, and 8 in MD attributed to the current heat wave. I'm not going to go digging back through the news archives to find past years, but it happens pretty much every time it gets hot up there.
see my edited post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: