Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
They don't know how....not too smart
is that the best you have? please.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Keep dreaming.. The stations in Secaucus are hardly employing on the book employees. That was made apparent when one was injured and the owner refused to even acknowledge his existence as well as cover the injury.
Any business at all that does this increases exposure. I have no idea about your anecdote about "the guy in Secaucus", but I do know several families that own gas stations throughout Bergen and Hudson counties. My brother does the taxes, payroll, and financial work for many of them. Your example of one person (which is hearsay, to boot) doesn't really back your suggestion that most gas station attendants are not "on the books". It's pure speculation on your part fueled by your bizarre anti-full-service agenda.

Quote:
And yet we still come in as being one of the best states to live in, the safest and one with the lowest in unemployment in this lousy economy. Go figure.
Your state grew government jobs since 2007 by close to 10%. Also, your state is a tiny one population- and business-wise, so it naturally will not be hurt as bad by economic downturns as bad as bigger states like NJ. And it will grow at the inversely proportionate rate when the economy turns around - while states like NJ will boom NH will show a modest increase in their economy. Unless they grow their government jobs sector even more at the same rate they've been going, then they may have problems even when the economy does better.

Quote:
You just love to pull these facts out of thin air, don't you. Cities like Newark, Jersey City, Trenton, Camden, Union City and on and on get no Federal funding. Oh, that's right. they do? Who pays all these taxes. anyone with money moved long ago.
These facts aren't out of thin air; the tax foundation shows clearly that NJ is the biggest donor state in the nation for over three decades:

Typical. Hand out for more entitlements.

http://www.rpa.org/pdf/20100311-RPA-...Debt-NJTTF.pdf[/quote]

My facts aren't out of thin air; the tax foundation shows clearly that NJ is the biggest donor state in the nation for over three decades:

The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxes Paid vs. Federal Spending Received by State, 1981-2005

Yes, we ARE entitled, after decades of subsidizing Welfare states (like those in the south) to get back at least a little more of our money that we pay to the Federal government.

Quote:
Unfortunately I do have to travel back often to oversee investment properties. I'll still pump my own gas. $2.59 a gal. this morning. Cheap NJ gas is a myth.
$2.33 at Delta in Paramus. At 26 cents a gallon less, on 15 gallons, that's about 4 bucks a fill-up that I save over your expensive NH gas. And, unlike your NH gas stations, I don't have to lug a smelly gas nozzle around, and I can pay by cash as easily as I can by credit card. Cheap gas in NJ is no myth, my friend.

Quote:
You can. It's called cooking at home. Why would anyone with half a brain go out to cook for themselves?
Why would anyone with half a brain want to pump gas instead of letting someone else do it? Besides, cooking at home is different; people can also get their own tanks installed at home and pump their own gas and save money by having it delivered in bulk, but nobody does it.

Quote:
There are several self service auto mechanic establishments that rent tools and lifts. Try looking.
Not since the '50's maybe... Where is there one? I have never found one. Never, ever, anywhere. I'd love for you to show me where one exists, especially in or near NJ.

Quote:
Self service lanes? you see an advantage to waiting an extended period to check out? Your time must be worth little.
When I go to Shoprite there are almost always a couple lanes with cashiers just standing there, and they ring me up faster than I'd do for myself at a self-check lane, where you have to take each item out, then scan, then place in the bag, then repeat, but if the sensor doesn't sense it, the machine says "please remove the last item", then "please wait for assistance", then you end up waiting for a cashier anyway, or heaven forbid you have a coupon or have to ring up produce that isn't in there, or whatever. Self-check lanes are great if you're buying no more than 3 or 4 items, beyond that forget it, it's a waste of time, and that's not even if you get caught behind other "I CAN DO IT MYSELF!!!" types who sit there screwing up and waiting for "assistance".

No, my time is worth more than that, so I prefer to let a professional do these things in a fraction of the time it would take me.

Quote:
Bet you love waiting for twenty minutes in the attended toll lanes on the GSP or NJTP instead of the self service EZPass lanes. Home Depot had the self checkout when they first opened. The area customer base robbed them blind.
I prefer the attended toll lanes to the "exact change" because usually idiots clog up the exact change lanes, fumbling for change, missing the basket, beeping the horn, etc. As for Home Depot, they still have self service lanes, and it's great to buy one item, but if you're buying a bunch of lumber or other supplies you have to go to a cashier with a scan gun to scan your junk.

You should worry more about NH than NJ, you're not a New Jerseyan.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
60+ posts on what's essentially a non-issue for 95+% of the population- too funny......

Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Yup.We stayed at a hotel on the NJ line and inadvertantly got gas in NJ. We were annoyed at first, but it wasn't any more expensive, so that was fine, and if more people had a job pumping gas it is win win.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:09 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,187 times
Quote:
Keep dreaming.. The stations in Secaucus are hardly employing on the book employees. That was made apparent when one was injured and the owner refused to even acknowledge his existence as well as cover the injury.

And yet we still come in as being one of the best states to live in, the safest and one with the lowest in unemployment in this lousy economy. Go figure.

You just love to pull these facts out of thin air, don't you. Cities like Newark, Jersey City, Trenton, Camden, Union City and on and on get no Federal funding. Oh, that's right. they do? Who pays all these taxes. anyone with money moved long ago.

Typical. Hand out for more entitlements.

http://www.rpa.org/pdf/20100311-RPA-...Debt-NJTTF.pdf

Unfortunately I do have to travel back often to oversee investment properties. I'll still pump my own gas. $2.59 a gal. this morning. Cheap NJ gas is a myth.

You can. It's called cooking at home. Why would anyone with half a brain go out to cook for themselves? There are several self service auto mechanic establishments that rent tools and lifts. Try looking. Self service lanes? you see an advantage to waiting an extended period to check out? Your time must be worth little. Bet you love waiting for twenty minutes in the attended toll lanes on the GSP or NJTP instead of the self service EZPass lanes. Home Depot had the self checkout when they first opened. The area customer base robbed them blind.

Few things.

First of all, gas here in Vineland is $2.43, so yes, that is cheaper. Also, NJ gas is usually cheaper than PA or NY, our neighboring states. That's where the "myth" comes from. Everyone from the area knows that NJ has cheaper gas, and usually waits to cross into NJ before filling up.

Including our urban ghettos, we still receive far less than we contribute from the feds.

As for your first comment, that is not the norm. Yes, like all areas there's probably a few businesses trying to do some of it off of the books, so I'm not too surprised. However, all gas stations (such as Wawa, Major, BJ's etc) are required to have their employees insured.

Also, lets be honest, if they allowed self service, all we would see is an increase in the price of full. It's a case of, it's not worth changing. I do however, understand why some people with reallllly nice cars want to pump their own, and most gas attendants in such cases understand.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:58 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
60+ posts on what's essentially a non-issue for 95+% of the population- too funny......
bob, not only that, but this is one of a bazillon and a half threads on it. the most vocal being those "oh so oppressed" by being waited on. it's absolutely comical.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:45 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
bob, not only that, but this is one of a bazillon and a half threads on it. the most vocal being those "oh so oppressed" by being waited on. it's absolutely comical.
On top of that, they are usually people who dont even live here that are complaining.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:22 AM

429 posts, read 931,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm2kaitlyne View Post
So do you just give the guy who pumps it your credit card or something?
Yes, and then he makes a copy of it and sells it on the black market. It means more income to New Jerseyans, though, including the police, the credit card company fraud investigators, etc., so that's a good thing.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:18 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
It's simply amazing to me how so many people can be so passionately pro-self-serve and anti-full-serve gas pumping. For one thing, it's simply not that big a deal, either way. But it's odd that in a world where so many gripe that things aren't done for them, when there is something that IS done for them, they complain.

I wonder if these people have the same passion against other "full-serve" services. I can hear it now...

"I can't stand to wait around for some genius food server to bring me a steak at my favorite steakhouse. Why don't they let me just get my own? I know how to cook a steak and carry it to the table. If I'm waiting too long I just walk into the kitchen and start making my own. There's one place on Rt. 3 that is pretty cool about it."

"What's with the full-serve grocery check-out lanes? Just give me a self-serve lane and leave me alone. I don't have time to wait for some minimum-wager to wave my food over a scanner when I can do it myself." (Judging by the empty self-check lanes and the cashier-manned lanes with long-lines at any supermarket I know that people like "full-serve" cashiers at grocery stores.)

"What's with those grease-monkey mechanics taking a day to fix my car? I don't have time for that. I just help myself to their lift and tools and fix it myself. They're mostly idiots anyway. I'm a paying customer, at least let me do what I want to get out of there faster..."

Joking aside, though, it really is bizarre that some are so offended by full-serve. I never hear anyone in real life say these things; I think they'd be way too embarrassed.
I'm one of these people you speak of. IMO alot of people these days are just too damn self entitled and lazy. LOL

I HATE automatic wipers and daytime running lights that cant be disabled. I hate that I cannot get anything other than an econobox or sports car with a manual transmission. (Ive only ever owned 1 automatic in my life as my DD) I HATE the fact that auto manufacturers have gone to a fly by wire engine control system. I HATE helmet and seatbelt laws. I use self checkout every chance I get when I have only a few items. I pump my own gas all the time when I'm in a hurry. I already do all my own maintenance on my vehicles and would LOVE to be able to rent out a bay at a shop for bigger jobs.

Maybe I'm cheap. Maybe i have control issues. But its hard for me to either pay someone, or wait for someone to do something that i am perfectly capable of doing myself.

I cant cook to save my life so im happy to let a professional do that.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:45 AM

429 posts, read 931,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I'm one of these people you speak of . . .
I basically am, too. I have nothing against full serve and would use if it were just one option. But I'm passionately against the idea that we have a LAW that prohibits gas stations from offering self-serve if they want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey