Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 07:46 AM

21 posts, read 72,670 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone,

When I start my new job Ill be staying in Secaucus for a couple weeks while I look for a house to rent.

I train by riding a bicycle 20-25 miles a couple times a week. My bike is a dull grey and my rding gear is not brightly colored. Its all very low key.

Is it safe to ride in and around Secaucus? What areas should I stay away from and what are the good roads ride on?

Thanks in advance Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichinNewJersey View Post
Good morning everyone,

When I start my new job Ill be staying in Secaucus for a couple weeks while I look for a house to rent.

I train by riding a bicycle 20-25 miles a couple times a week. My bike is a dull grey and my rding gear is not brightly colored. Its all very low key.

Is it safe to ride in and around Secaucus? What areas should I stay away from and what are the good roads ride on?

Thanks in advance Rich
i'd get a vest or something to throw on. NJ is a tough state to bike in even on the less travelled roads. there's plenty of side roads back there though. check out google maps a bit.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,651 times
Secaucus is a funny town, part of it is typical small lot size suburban town. Quiet streets with houses close together a not quaint but very functional downtown area. Then theres a whole other side of town that is very industrial/office park/desolate. It's not a dangerous town as for a criminal activity but the roads (outside of the central part of town) are highway like with speed limits to match and drivers are not expecting pedestrians so it might not be the safest place to ride a bike.

But sounds like you train a lot so you are well versed on the rules of the road, you should be fine. If anything a bit bored as there is not much to see.

Not sure what transportation you have other than the bike but for bit more scenic views I would head over to Weehawken go to river road (set your GPS to the Sheraton or Ruth Chris in Weehawken) from there you can bike right a long the water all the way up to Fort Lee and get a great view of the city the whole way. A friend of mine was recently training for a triathalon and she used this route a lot, I believe it's 10 or 12 miles one way so round trip you'll get your 20+ miles in.

Another great place to ride is if you go up to the Oakland/Ringwood area. Every weekend there is a ton of cyclists training up there. It's pretty intense with lots of big hills (ie MOUNTAINS) and great scenic natural views. You can go up and down Skyline drive (very intense) or you can head into ringwood and ride around Erskine & Cupsaw Lakes and the Wananque reservoir. Lots of ups and downs but not super instense hills. I would definitely leasve this for a weekend as it's a 35 minute car ride from secaucus.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:25 AM

weehawken riding on river road is nice - but crazy drivers. could bike all the way up to GWB and even over it, or continue north to palisades with spectacular views.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:06 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
The town is safe but get some visibility on before biking the area, especially in the time of reduced lighting. The suggestion of a reflective vest was a good one.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:41 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
You should have no problems , unless you intend to use the Trains during rush hour. Bikes are banned during peak hrs form Trains......and riding the streets of Secaucus during those times can be abit hazardous. Bikes are allowed on Trains after 8.30 , or if you ask the conductor. You also have to stand in the center of the train or by the door.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:48 PM

21 posts, read 72,670 times
this is good information .... I cant wait for next week so I can take a ride in NJ

Im going to love riding in Manhattan too. Its been a dream of mine for awhile. My wife and I walk sometimes 20+ miles a day when we are there but I should be able to do 60-80 on a good day with my bike. big fun soon.

Rich in New Jersey

Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichinNewJersey View Post
this is good information .... I cant wait for next week so I can take a ride in NJ

Im going to love riding in Manhattan too. Its been a dream of mine for awhile. My wife and I walk sometimes 20+ miles a day when we are there but I should be able to do 60-80 on a good day with my bike. big fun soon.

Rich in New Jersey
let me know what you find. riding in manhattan is a lot of fun, especially with the improvements made over the past 3 or so years. Riding down the river road path along the hudson is amazing. Central Park is so nice too. It's a great way to explore the city. just get a very good kryptonite lock for in the city if you care about your bike at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey