Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,988 times

Advertisements

I would wait 4 hours to save hundreds of dollars. I fought several tickets in the past and waiting 1-2hrs for both. No big deal. Got both reduced to non-moving violations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 05:00 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettler View Post
I have no problem paying the fine, but the 4 points is going to hurt.. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks
Do NOT, under any circumstance, pay that ticket. Court sucks but is your friend. Don't be surprised if it gets reduced or tossed altogether.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:27 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Quote:
intersection w/o any NO UTURN sign
As the statute details, the U Turn sign is not required in some cases to result in a violation. As I have no idea of the area in question, I won't comment on a possible reason to that charge.

I tend to agree with your view the Reckless Operation. There would have to be another event to have that charge added as the u turn violation in itself would be sufficient. The only reason a Reckless would be added would be if the original violation was done in a manner so negligent that it was somewhat intentional. However I have no knowledge of the facts in the case so I'll leave it with just the statutes posted.

One important note. Their is a date on the bottom of the summons. That is NOT your court date but the date by which a plea must be entered. Failure to do so will result in late penalties and eventually the summons will enter warrant status with a license suspension. So don't wait. The plea in most case can be entered over the phone but each court has its own way of doing things so check with the Violation in the jurisdiction. The court will verify your current address and notify you of the court date. Most likely it will be some time before the date.

I always told those who asked advice on what they should do with summons issued to them. You have nothing to lose by going to court and telling your side of the event. You are not expected to be a lawyer and the Judges sitting understand that and will give you lattitude...to a point. If you are going to plead NG, come in with facts backing that up. Some Judges will not take kindly to those wasting their time. If all you have is "I don't think I'm guilty", you won't have much luck.

Another factor to consider before you rush into a plea. The two summons in question will result in more than four points. The total will be eight points. In many cases the Prosecutor may be willing to entertain a plea to Careless 39:4-97. In any case, he/she can only agree to a change and present it to a Judge who can accept it or not. Ours half the time would not accept the deals made.

And one last note....a conviction of Reckless, 39:4-96 makes you ineligible to possess a NJ personalized license plate.

Last edited by rscalzo; 08-11-2010 at 07:39 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 02:14 PM

658 posts, read 1,894,319 times
update: went to court and was told to first talk to the prosecutor, which I did. We discussed the ticket and how I felt. She offered to drop the tickets in exchange for a fine-only ticket, which is what I figured was going to happen. My other choice was to plead innocence and see what happens. Interestingly enough, in NJ the arresting officer doesn't even have to show up to court. So, I accepted that and had to pay the fine. All done. Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:29 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
the u-turn in an intersection is probably what caused the reckless charge. While easier to execute in an interestion, you are a potential hazard to traffic from 4 directions simultaneously.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:29 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettler View Post
update: went to court and was told to first talk to the prosecutor, which I did. We discussed the ticket and how I felt. She offered to drop the tickets in exchange for a fine-only ticket, which is what I figured was going to happen. My other choice was to plead innocence and see what happens. Interestingly enough, in NJ the arresting officer doesn't even have to show up to court. So, I accepted that and had to pay the fine. All done. Thanks for everyone's help.
legalized bribery. gotta love it!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:38 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times
See, the little secret that most people don't know is that anyone can issue a summons for a traffic offense in New Jersey. If you have a reasonable amount of proof (photo of plate and/or person driving), you can go to the local police department and issue a summons to the other driver. Effectively, when a police officer issues a summons, this is what he is doing - the only difference is that the driver is obligated to stop for a police officer when signaled. He/she does not have to stop for Joe Citizen who wants to write out a ticket.

But it is possible - and far more common than most people think - to have non-LEO citizens issuing summonses to other drivers. It's no joke, either. A summons issued by a civilian carries the same penalties as one issued by a sworn officer.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 5,393 times
Traffic Courts in NJ are ridiculous, and you might need a lawyer just to navigate through all the bull$hit.

Fight it though, because that is a complete dereliction of your due process rights.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Traffic Courts in NJ are ridiculous, and you might need a lawyer just to navigate through all the bull$hit.

Fight it though, because that is a complete dereliction of your due process rights.
No wonder you can't understand the court system. you can't understand due process based on the comment.

By the way, if you actually read the comments, he amended and already paid the summons.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
See, the little secret that most people don't know is that anyone can issue a summons for a traffic offense in New Jersey.
Yes, that is true. What you also have to understand is that you have to prosecute the case as the complainant. You also will be subject to all the requirements of discovery under the court rules. There is much more to it beyond simply signing your name.

Quote:
Interestingly enough, in NJ the arresting officer doesn't even have to show up to court.
No need as this is simply the "arraignment". If you didn't come to an agreement, they would have set a date at which time the complainant would appear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey