Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 04:49 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
you really don't know, you've been to 3 devils games? I had season seats for many years, 90% of the fans had no issues about getting to the games, 90% also felt that the building itself stunk, 40% said they'd never go to newark, the big claim about newark is that you can get there via mass transit, big deal! most people will not consider using mass transit and the parking at the new arena will be a disaster, driving in and out of CAA was a snap, if you did it more than a few times and knew the ropes, driving in and out of newark is a nightmare.
Like I said maybe it will work, maybe it won't, based on past performance like the baseball team which has done zilch for the town and the PAC.
people who go to shows at the PAC run in and run out, few people actually go out to dinner in Newark before a show at the PAC and they race like mad to leave when the show is over.
I think this arena will turn into a boondoggle and the devils will probably move to canada within 10 years of going to newark.
I'm sorry, mass transit is a big deal. Driving into Newark and out is already a nightmare so fans and spectators are encouraged to use mass transit (agreed, parking will suck).
-CAA's traffic sucked and it was in the middle of a swamp. Look at MSG, I would never drive but I'd go. It may be NYC but there's still plenty to do before and after a game. Newark is in no way NYC but I think Newark stands a better chance than the swamps at E. Rutherford. I bet if CAA even had a train line it'd do better on weeknights than it ever had. But that's just an 'if'
-If Xanadu was already in place then it'd be different, but besides that...
-I don't know the Devs the way you do but I follow the hf boards and I'm only going off of what I've read there (which was extreme discontent with the CAA)
-I think Newark can and will follow the MSG model. There are (as it stands at this point) developments to encompass the surrounding arena area, I just hope they follow through and we don't have another 'Renaissance-it's supposed to be the best thing for Newark-Mall' debacle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 05:09 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I'm sorry, mass transit is a big deal. Driving into Newark and out is already a nightmare so fans and spectators are encouraged to use mass transit (agreed, parking will suck).
-CAA's traffic sucked and it was in the middle of a swamp. Look at MSG, I would never drive but I'd go. It may be NYC but there's still plenty to do before and after a game. Newark is in no way NYC but I think Newark stands a better chance than the swamps at E. Rutherford. I bet if CAA even had a train line it'd do better on weeknights than it ever had. But that's just an 'if'
-If Xanadu was already in place then it'd be different, but besides that...
-I don't know the Devs the way you do but I follow the hf boards and I'm only going off of what I've read there (which was extreme discontent with the CAA)
-I think Newark can and will follow the MSG model. There are (as it stands at this point) developments to encompass the surrounding arena area, I just hope they follow through and we don't have another 'Renaissance-it's supposed to be the best thing for Newark-Mall' debacle.

95% of devils fans are car driving, mass transit shunning suburanites, they ain't taking a train to newark at night. Newark and few other places share the critical mass of people and businesses that NY has, you cannot replicate that in a ghetto city like newark, they tried this formula in DC, it isn't working.
the nonsense about the meadowlands being in the middle of the swamp is meaningless as shown by the 70k plus fans that manage to find their way there for NFL games, like I said and you keep confusing, the arena does suck, the location isn't really the issue

Old 06-30-2007, 06:04 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
95% of devils fans are car driving, mass transit shunning suburanites, they ain't taking a train to newark at night. Newark and few other places share the critical mass of people and businesses that NY has, you cannot replicate that in a ghetto city like newark, they tried this formula in DC, it isn't working.
the nonsense about the meadowlands being in the middle of the swamp is meaningless as shown by the 70k plus fans that manage to find their way there for NFL games, like I said and you keep confusing, the arena does suck, the location isn't really the issue
Okay, agreed...forget CAA. The area around it is horribly boring (A parking lot flanked another arena and parking decks). Newark has the potential whereas CAA's 'area' was only the arenas and nothing more. If Xanadu were already built I might not be saying this but it ain't finished and the Nets/Devils are leaving anyway. (Be great for the Jets/Giants though)
-I do not agree that all of Newark is the ghetto, they'd be foolish to put the arena in a ghetto part of Newark. I think if Yankees fans can go to the Bronx to support their team, then I'm certain Devils fans will go downtown. The arena is barely 3 blocks away from Penn.
-How many of those 70k fans were NY'ers?
-I would have LOVE to have made more of the Nets games but as you stated earlier, we all have jobs to go to the next day and didn't want to be bothered with the hassle. I'm sure a hardcore fan would but I wouldn't in the name of convenience (I'll wait for a weekend game)
-Why does Newark need NYC's mass of business/peoples? For a city that small it shouldn't have as much in the first place. Although it could use more, Newark does well for its size
-Why does DC's failure have to be Newark's? DC is the center of its own metro whereas Newark sits in NYC's, Its just 2 complete different situations.
-You know...even if the fans get off the train and hop right back on...so what? I'll bet it'll STILL be better than going to the drive-in only 'Meadowlands'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey