Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 08:55 PM

17 posts, read 30,156 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just recently purchased a home Sleepy Hollow section of Plainfield. It has all the old-world charm. There is one setback the kitchen... It's my wife's biggest pet peeve. The former owners never updated the kitchen, it has drop ceiling, very little light and a bathroom. Bad layout!! What were looking for is freelance qualified kitchen designer. It cool also be a student studying architecture.

With the recent purchase of the house it we can't afford or let's say I can't afford a high-end designer. Also, it's a small kitchen which we would like to convert to a Galley kitchen. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I've went to the website nkba.com to look at members there. I would like any personal experiences. I look forward to your replies.

Best regards,

TONY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 05:16 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Home Depot and Lowes offer kitchen design at modest costs.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:22 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
I found "Carmen" at home depot paramus to be very good.

for like 50 bucks someone will come in and measure, take pictures, and then they will sit down with you. At the end you do not need to use them if you don't want, but they will not give you the plans/measurements unless you buy the cabinets from them.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:52 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atseta View Post
My wife and I just recently purchased a home Sleepy Hollow section of Plainfield. It has all the old-world charm. There is one setback the kitchen... It's my wife's biggest pet peeve. The former owners never updated the kitchen, it has drop ceiling, very little light and a bathroom. Bad layout!! What were looking for is freelance qualified kitchen designer. It cool also be a student studying architecture.

With the recent purchase of the house it we can't afford or let's say I can't afford a high-end designer. Also, it's a small kitchen which we would like to convert to a Galley kitchen. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I've went to the website nkba.com to look at members there. I would like any personal experiences. I look forward to your replies.

Best regards,

TONY
If I were you, I would ask several realtors from different agencies about the galley kitchen. They are popular in some places, accepted in others & in some places, people, in general, do not like them.

If you're staying there long term, do what you want. If you think that you might move in a few years, find out if the galley kitchen will limit your buyers.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:07 AM

78 posts, read 330,511 times
I would agree with southbound but there are tons of alternative. Check out desert sun posting on the home section of the forum. We took his advice and checked out many of the small kitchen designers(all who will do design for free). Finally went with merlat from Kuiken brothers. Check out their website where you can also do a design for yourself. With stock cabinets and your own measurements they can plan and change a design in seconds. After pricing different places with the same layout they were significantly cheaper with the same quality stock cabinets.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 AM

17 posts, read 30,156 times
PDD- Thank-you for your reply. There is a HOME DEPOT near us in the Watchung Mall. I did find a name of a person who may have experience with kitchens.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 6,000 times
Hi. We're you able to do your kitchen? I'm interested on who you went with. I'm in the same area as you but not the historic houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey