Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
that is patently false. and yes, i'm at the intersection A LOT. there's a reason 4/17 makes the list of one of the most dangerous merges in the COUNTRY.
What's patently false is the notion that "4/17 makes the list of one of the most dangerous merges in the COUNTRY". That hasn't been true ever since they fixed that intersection years ago. There are other intersections in Bergen that make the list (like Fort Lee, going to the GW Bridge) but not the 4/17 interchange.

And no matter how much you swear that the 80/287 interchange is fine that never makes it any faster for me to get through it when there is an accident or some sort of police activity or whatever other nonsense that jams it up and makes everyone late for work. It's as bad as Atlanta at times, the only way to avoid it is to get to work super early. My siblings both deal with that interchange, too - my sister daily deals with it, she avoids it by leaving her home in Bergen County at 6 AM so that she's through there by 6:20, 6:25. She gets to work by 7 AM just to avoid that intersection. It's horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
exactly.. this goes back to bcj admitting he has a bias because he doesn't know back roads around it. 287/80 is "bad" at rush hour, but not horrendous.
Oh, it's horrendous. Leaving is worse than going. And while I admitted a bias, it was due to my experience with that intersection, not because "[I don't] know back roads around it"... I actually do know the back roads around it, but they're of little to no use because when you get jacked on and around that intersection the exits and shoulders are equally jacked, as are the side roads. I commuted to Madison and Whippany too many times and I know how horrendous that entire area is for commuters. It's a living hell.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I am no expert on Bergen county,
That's for sure...

Quote:
but I have relatives in Alpine and my wife has relatives in Englewood Cliffs so we spend a decent amount of time in those areas. Short Hills and Essex Fells are every bit as nice. Also, the other towns in west essex have very wealthy areas that are comparable. North Caldwell, Montclair, West Orange, South orange, and Livingston all have areas with multimillion dollar homes on at least an acre, if not more, with trees and hills and all that good stuff. Livingston and Milburn usually have people on the Forbes list, why would they choose Essex When Bergen is so much better? A house in Alpine would be a drop in the bucket to guys like David Tepper, David Mandelbaum or the Kushner family.
A lot of good it does the average home buyer that multi-millionaires have homes in West Orange (or Alpine or anywhere else for that matter). For the very wealthy, anywhere they choose to live will be nice and comfortable.

The biggest difference between those in West Orange and those in Alpine is that those in West Orange are within easier access to the worst slums and ghettos in NJ. I'm sure thieves and other criminals prefer the easy access to West Orange...

Quote:
Towns in Essex are a little more Socially/financially integrated than Bergen, and that is a good thing. Obviously, the billionaires who live here, think it is a good thing too.
Right, the billionaires who live in Essex county are "socially/financially integrated" with their slum-dwelling neighbors... LMAO

Old 09-26-2010, 08:50 AM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
Your sort of right...Orange has Seven Oaks but it's not what it used to be...East Orange "affluent area is a small area near the Bloomfield/Glen Ridge border but has slid further than Seven Oaks.
Is this the area by Soverel Park? Googlemaps won't let me get closer than Brighton Ave or Springdale Ave. Really nice big old houses, then again this is what portions of EO look like from the Parkway. Such a shame.

7 Oaks looks beautiful still, but I guess neither places could really hold up too well, and property values will thus fall, if they're pretty much surrounded by ghetto.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 AM

334 posts, read 731,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Is this the area by Soverel Park? Googlemaps won't let me get closer than Brighton Ave or Springdale Ave. Really nice big old houses, then again this is what portions of EO look like from the Parkway. Such a shame.

7 Oaks looks beautiful still, but I guess neither places could really hold up too well, and property values will thus fall, if they're pretty much surrounded by ghetto.
A little further north of Soverel Park, across Dodd Street. It's like right by the Montclair, Orange, Glen-Ridge border.

I remembered another section as I was cutting through East Orange to avoid taking 280 West home on Friday....the president's section just east of the parkway and north of Renshaw Avenue, by the Bloomfield border. Really beautiful and well kept homes there.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:41 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
That's for sure...
Ouch, that hurts. I dont know how I am going to show my face around here.
It seems from your posts that you know even less about Essex than I do about Bergen. Only, I admit to the fact instead of pretending to know what I am talking about.

Quote:
A lot of good it does the average home buyer that multi-millionaires have homes in West Orange (or Alpine or anywhere else for that matter). For the very wealthy, anywhere they choose to live will be nice and comfortable.

The biggest difference between those in West Orange and those in Alpine is that those in West Orange are within easier access to the worst slums and ghettos in NJ. I'm sure thieves and other criminals prefer the easy access to West Orange...

Right, the billionaires who live in Essex county are "socially/financially integrated" with their slum-dwelling neighbors... LMAO
You really miss the point. The dichotomy is not all you are making it out to be. There are no billionaires with slum "neighbors". There are a whole lot of middle class and upper middle class in between. The point being, if you had a billion dollars and could live anywhere, would you live somewhere where you felt like you had slum neighbors? When you are in a West Essex town, you dont feel in danger at all. You dont feel like the slums are encroaching on your neighborhood. Most of us never even SEE the bad neighborhoods at all. If someone didn't know the area, and just believed the nonsense that you were typing, they would get a very FALSE impression of Essex County. You tend to exagerate both the negatives of Essex and the positives of Bergen. I'm not saying one shouldn't have pride in their county, but remember, others have pride in their own county, and it is bad form to dis someone else's home.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 09-26-2010 at 11:56 AM..

Old 09-26-2010, 12:15 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:

You obviously don't know too much about West Orange. I live in WO and the crime rate is extremely low here (less than half the national average). You make it sound like thieves from East Orange or Newark are just rolling into town to commit crimes. You assume there would be spillover of crime from nearby cities, but that's perception and not reality.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:42 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,676 times
West Orange has very low crime for a town of its size, population on location. But there is more crime here than Alpine lol, Alpine may have the lowest rate in the country.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:44 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,676 times
The differences of the counties is like Apples and Orange. Assuming you limit it to Western Essex taking off the eastern cities its a matter of preference to what you prefer.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:32 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
I don't think I agree, I'ved lived in both the latter cities and work in the former. Teaneck is more like West Orange than Belleville in my opinion.
Fair enough (I suppose everyone's entitled to theirs). However, after working w/ HomeSec out of the Teaneck armory, I would definitely put Teaneck in the same group w/ Belleville/Bloomfield. Hell, with that said, there are parts of WO that are like them both anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey