Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 22,514 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking to purchase a 2 family home in the east orange or Irvington neighborhood.

I will be looking at some places on Bedford st, western Parkway(Along the gsp south)Lenox Ave,Berkshire Pl,Oakland St in Irvington this weekend and wanted the input of people whom actually live or recently lived in Irvington .

I have not set up to look at homes in east orange as yet but would appreciate any info from those who are familiar.

Now I live next to irvington but rarely venture into the town so whatever I though i knew of the place I'm sure has changed over the ears.

I have also live in East orange/Orange Years ago and am no longer familiar with what goes on there so I'm asking for recent experiences.

Again I would REALLY appreciate the help of anyone who has had RECENT experience with either neighborhood as I know thing change over the years.

P.S. I have read some threads on here and would appreciate if you have not lived in either area or you are racist/close mined that you don't post any opinions. I'm only looking for help and I don't need people responding with ignorant comments.

TIA
D.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 12:12 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
First, if you don't mind, why do you feel the need to move to Irvington?

I live in NWK and have to give a co-worker a ride home to Irvington several nights a week and I can tell you about the area. It's very run-down and crime-riddled. Block-for-block it may be one of the most dangerous towns in America. The area you're talking about is about 2 blocks from a stretch that's nothing but liquor stores, open-air drug deals and prostitutes. I don't know if you have children or not, but it's the type of area you do not want to let them out after it gets dark.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:36 AM

783 posts, read 2,021,961 times
What does racism have to do with this? Sorry, the area is a dump. This has nothing to do with East Orange and Irvington being black towns. They are just simply dumps. I don't see how you can possibly skew it any other way. Irvington is a complete hellhole that I hate going through during the day. I go from Bloomfield to South Orange a lot, so I'm very familiar with East Orange and go there maybe 5 times a week or so. It's a dump, but leaps and bounds ahead of Irvington. Nothing violent has ever happened to me there, but I have certainly felt uncomfortable. I've parked my car in East Orange, then came back an hour later and wondered how the hell it was still there lol.

A few years ago there was a mini resurgance in East Orange with a fair amount of nice, new homes being built...same with Newark. I haven't seen much of this happening lately because of the economy, plus with housing prices dropping so much I would assume there is less incentive for buyers to move into East Orange. These are always shady investments because you have to have faith that the neighborhood is going to rebound and your investment is going to hold over the next 5-10 years. Plus, the schools suck and that's never a good sign. The schools in East Orange suck so bad that the kids started going to Bloomfield and made their schools suck. Yeah, it's spreading like a virus. Even the main drag, South Orange Ave is a disaster. The police hound that place and will pull you over for the slightest move. Liquor stores, african braids stores, and small mom and pop grocery stores line the street, but it is mostly dead. I see people all over the place walking around like they're zombies, clearly on drugs or drunk. Tons of kids, under 10, walking around at night all alone, young girls no older than 16 or 17 pushing babies in strollers. It's a disaster. You would have to be completely nuts to move to that place, when everyone else is trying to move out as quickly as possible. But, I constantly see people walking around with their Obama t-shirts on, so maybe he'll come in and save the day. YES WE CAN!!!

Old 07-25-2009, 08:03 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy392 View Post
I'm currently looking to purchase a 2 family home in the east orange or Irvington neighborhood.
You may have a hard time finding anyone here who is willing to go out on a limb and recommend E Orange or Irvington.

One thing that you may find useful, and is important for identifying relatively quiet pockets in towns that have high aggregate crime numbers, is a crime map.

Here is the one for Essex County.

NJ.com: Essex County Murder Map

This at least indicates which areas aren't war zones.

Did you consider Newark ? Many of the regulars on this forum have lived in or do live there.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
What does racism have to do with this? Sorry, the area is a dump. This has nothing to do with East Orange and Irvington being black towns. They are just simply dumps. I don't see how you can possibly skew it any other way. Irvington is a complete hellhole that I hate going through during the day. I go from Bloomfield to South Orange a lot, so I'm very familiar with East Orange and go there maybe 5 times a week or so. It's a dump, but leaps and bounds ahead of Irvington. Nothing violent has ever happened to me there, but I have certainly felt uncomfortable. I've parked my car in East Orange, then came back an hour later and wondered how the hell it was still there lol.

A few years ago there was a mini resurgance in East Orange with a fair amount of nice, new homes being built...same with Newark. I haven't seen much of this happening lately because of the economy, plus with housing prices dropping so much I would assume there is less incentive for buyers to move into East Orange. These are always shady investments because you have to have faith that the neighborhood is going to rebound and your investment is going to hold over the next 5-10 years. Plus, the schools suck and that's never a good sign. The schools in East Orange suck so bad that the kids started going to Bloomfield and made their schools suck. Yeah, it's spreading like a virus. Even the main drag, South Orange Ave is a disaster. The police hound that place and will pull you over for the slightest move. Liquor stores, african braids stores, and small mom and pop grocery stores line the street, but it is mostly dead. I see people all over the place walking around like they're zombies, clearly on drugs or drunk. Tons of kids, under 10, walking around at night all alone, young girls no older than 16 or 17 pushing babies in strollers. It's a disaster. You would have to be completely nuts to move to that place, when everyone else is trying to move out as quickly as possible. But, I constantly see people walking around with their Obama t-shirts on, so maybe he'll come in and save the day. YES WE CAN!!!
Like I mentioned I have read some of the forum questions and I read a few where people were saying (and not necessarily in so many words) that because some of these town are heavily populated by Blacks and Latinos they would not step foot in them. Although these are the same people that drive through on their way to SO or WO but have never really had to stop.

For example I read a post condemning Newark and someone was saying you can rent an apt there if you don't value your life,want to be robber or shot etc. My partner lived in Newark for 1 year and she has never gotten her car stolen or broken into,never been shot at, robbed etc and she has a very nice car tints,rims etc. I have also spent weekends there and.. Nada. The people in the building were courteous to us as we were to them. So when I see things like that being posted I automatically want to discourage statements like those UNLESS it is an experience but if not I don't want assumptions I have those on my own.

I do however thank you for your input. I had a feeling that it would be like that but I didn't want to be close mined b/c some ppl have told me there are nice parts just wanted to know if they too were basing their opinions on the past or maybe I was missing something.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
You may have a hard time finding anyone here who is willing to go out on a limb and recommend E Orange or Irvington.

One thing that you may find useful, and is important for identifying relatively quiet pockets in towns that have high aggregate crime numbers, is a crime map.

Here is the one for Essex County.

NJ.com: Essex County Murder Map

This at least indicates which areas aren't war zones.

Did you consider Newark ? Many of the regulars on this forum have lived in or do live there.
Thanks you so much I will check it out. I have considered Newark from what I heard Weequahic and Vailsburg are OK sections but the homes that I like are newer and some of the taxes are higher. I will however look into Newark thank you .

Old 07-25-2009, 11:14 PM

23 posts, read 57,611 times
Try Ironbound,North Broadway,Forest Hills......areas around there are getting better in my opinion...I live in North Broadway and nothing happens to me...living comfortably, never gotten robbed, and never been in a shoot out...Things are changing..but Irvington and East Orange wouldn't be the best place...

Old 07-25-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
First, if you don't mind, why do you feel the need to move to Irvington?

I live in NWK and have to give a co-worker a ride home to Irvington several nights a week and I can tell you about the area. It's very run-down and crime-riddled. Block-for-block it may be one of the most dangerous towns in America. The area you're talking about is about 2 blocks from a stretch that's nothing but liquor stores, open-air drug deals and prostitutes. I don't know if you have children or not, but it's the type of area you do not want to let them out after it gets dark.
I have been looking at Linden/union/Hillside but the property taxes are HIGH. These places are close to my work and seem reasonable

I heard Weequahic and Vailsburg are OK sections but the homes that I like are newer and some of the taxes are higher. Are you familiar with these neighborhoods If not can you recommend any that you are familiar with?

Hope I didn't double post I'm new at this.

Also I don't have children as yet I'm only 25 but at some point I will so I will be concerned about schools etc

Old 07-26-2009, 11:25 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
Quote:
I have been looking at Linden/union/Hillside but the property taxes are HIGH. These places are close to my work and seem reasonable

I heard Weequahic and Vailsburg are OK sections but the homes that I like are newer and some of the taxes are higher. Are you familiar with these neighborhoods If not can you recommend any that you are familiar with?

Also I don't have children as yet I'm only 25 but at some point I will so I will be concerned about schools etc
I'm pretty much familiar with all of Essex County. Weequahic is questionable, Vailsburg is still pretty rough. Try University Heights or the Ironbound or maybe even Bloomfield

Old 07-26-2009, 01:50 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:

I agree with "Twista".

I lived in Newark for about a year (around 98 when it was worse than it is now).

The safest parts of Newark are Ironbound, Forest Hill (and neighborhoods north of Bloomfield avenue), and University Heights.

I'm not familiar with Vailsburg and Weequahic, but check the homicide map. Newark's South ward has a pretty bad reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey