Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:50 PM

130 posts, read 677,944 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move from VA in a few years and I'm trying to get some info now...

What towns would you recommend for a family with young children and hubby is working in Morristown. I grew up in Summit and would love to find another community with a great downtown, amazing schools, etc (ala Summit, Westfield, Chatham, etc) BUT there's no way we can afford the housing prices there. We'd like to spend around 500,000 and need 3-4 bedrooms. Current commute is an hour so anything less than that would be great. Top priority is schools, safety, and walkable downtown.

Thanks heaps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 50,691 times
Morristown fits your bill... If you don't want to live in Morristown proper, Convent Station (part of Morris Township) is a great location (particularly closer to the train station -- you can still walk to downtown from there).

Old 07-04-2007, 07:44 PM

279 posts, read 1,348,125 times
Ridgewood is in Bergen County (may be too far for your hubby to commute to Morristown) but has a nice downtown area with restaurants and shops.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:09 PM

7 posts, read 50,691 times
Agree that Ridgewood has a nice downtown, but housing prices are way out of control. Morris county is a bit more affordable (especially the further you get away from the Midtown Direct train stops). Essex County is even more affordable (generally speaking). You might want to look into Livingston -- excellent schools, walkable downtown, active, family-oriented community. 20 minutes from Morristown.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:39 AM

130 posts, read 677,944 times
Hadn't really considered Bergen County...will have to figure out drive time there. Thanks for the recommendation, too short.

On the move...I've been away from Jersey for over 15 years so my memory may be off or things may have really changed but...I think Morristown may be too "city" for us? I remember it being more of a younger crowd with bars, and some semblence of a nightlife. I do remember going to HQ for movies and just getting a vibe from it that's a little more "happening" than the suburbia, small, family-centered town we're looking for. As far as Livingston goes, I'm surprised to hear how positive it's described. I only remember going to the Livingston Mall...didn't even know there was downtown! The mall was kinda run down in the 80's but I did get a chance to stop back there a few years ago and it looks like they've redone it quite a bit.

Anyway, is my memory off or have things changed a lot or what? We're really looking for another Summit or Westfield...how would you compare Morristown and Livingston to those towns??

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:52 AM

4 posts, read 46,697 times
Default Check out Hunterdon County

you might want to check out hunterdon county nj. Its about 40 commute to morristown and WAY cheaper to live. Union Twp and Clinton twp both have elementry schools that are among the top in the state and country and the highschools north hunterdon and vorhees are also blue ribbon schools. Towns near by are Clinton, Flemington and then you have the very cool river towns of milford, frenchtown and lambertivill...with new hope on the pa side.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 PM

18 posts, read 138,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmariannec View Post
you might want to check out hunterdon county nj. Its about 40 commute to morristown and WAY cheaper to live. Union Twp and Clinton twp both have elementry schools that are among the top in the state and country and the highschools north hunterdon and vorhees are also blue ribbon schools. Towns near by are Clinton, Flemington and then you have the very cool river towns of milford, frenchtown and lambertivill...with new hope on the pa side.
I second that. Hunterdon is very nice. I live there now. It's got great schools and is super safe. The commute might be a little more than 40 minutes tho b/c the traffic is awful on 78/287 in the morning and night...

Old 07-05-2007, 01:03 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynNJ View Post
I second that. Hunterdon is very nice. I live there now. It's got great schools and is super safe. The commute might be a little more than 40 minutes tho b/c the traffic is awful on 78/287 in the morning and night...

but where in hunterdon cnty has the "downtown" walkable feel the OP wants? flemington is the closest I think, but really doesn't compare with westfield. plus, OP wanted north jersey.....

Old 07-05-2007, 01:45 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Denville has a walkable downtown, but it doesn't compare to Westfield or Summit. It is cute, however, and prices might be more in-line with your 500k budget. Also, the commute to Morristown would be a breeze.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:12 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Denville is a good choice. Morristown has a very walkable downtown but the schools aren't as good.

If you can afford it, look into Madison. Its not as wealthy as Summit, but is more upscale than Morristown. The schools are also excellent in Madison & I'd say it has the best downtown in the area after Morristown and Summit.

Ridgewood also has a good downtown and excellent schools, but the place is really expensive.

Hunderton is nice, but I can't think of anywhere that is walkable down there. Anywhere west of Morristown is definitely more rural/ex-urban than what it sounds like you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey