Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:46 AM

85 posts, read 271,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
I personally would take Westfield over East Brunswick. Westfield has some old fashioned charm to it. EB is kinda snotty and more modern suburbs. It is Jewish in the same sense that Cherry Hill is Jewish. CH and EB are practically identical.

Westfield has more character. It is pedestrian friendly and has a main street, more of a sense of old money. EB meanwhile is more the quintessential upscale suburbia developed 1960s-1970s among the first modern-day NJ suburbs.

Piscataway is a melting pot literally. It has some of every culture in the whole world. You also have some Plainfield ghetto elements there unfortunately.

Highland Park is very Jewish but like Westfield has more of that main street pedestrian friendly character. I'd imagine bordering sections of Edison have large Jewish populations too, but you definitely save in Edison in comparison to HP.

This very post is why one would look to Eb for the jewish presence over Westfield.

Most Jews do not have OLD money as most of them immigrated to this country in the early 1900's and din't make their money until later on.
Old money is more the Waspy type which are not so Jewish friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 12:29 PM

84 posts, read 296,779 times
Would they both be considered pretty upscale areas?

Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 PM
yCf

106 posts, read 533,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboken1220 View Post
Would they both be considered pretty upscale areas?
I lived in EB and have been to Westfield many times since my wife works around there.
I think Westfield is more upscale than EB. I would choose Westfield over EB because of the nice downtown area and the charm that other have mentioned before.

EB is a nice town with great school system but in terms of shopping and dining, Westfield has a lot more to offer.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboy View Post
This very post is why one would look to Eb for the jewish presence over Westfield.

Most Jews do not have OLD money as most of them immigrated to this country in the early 1900's and din't make their money until later on.
Old money is more the Waspy type which are not so Jewish friendly.
I thought Westfield was somewhat Jewish too. I know nearby Scotch Plains has a significant Jewish community, maybe not to the extent of Highland Park or East Brunswick, but it is there.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 PM

391 posts, read 1,476,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
I thought Westfield was somewhat Jewish too. I know nearby Scotch Plains has a significant Jewish community, maybe not to the extent of Highland Park or East Brunswick, but it is there.

westfield certainly has a jewish presence, there is a synagogue on e broad street not far from the center of town. i drive by it often; it always seems to be bustling with activity.

in my opinion, westfield and East Brunswick are not in the same league, with Westfield have more far more to offer. Religion is not an element of consideration for me though.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:52 PM

71 posts, read 162,886 times
theres no way I'm reading the thread after your question.....Westfield hands down!
-major Jewish presence
-great center of town
-commuting via highways, train or bus
-and most of all......Hershey deli, Manhatten bagel and The Brickoven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey