Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:16 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times

Advertisements

Camden
Anything in North East New Jersey. minus The Caldwells.

Best places:
Southwest Jersey (less Camden and Willingboro)
Southeast Jersey (less AC)
Northwest Jersey (less Dover)

Give me Mannahawkin and Sussex.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM

22 posts, read 76,572 times
how can we forget irvington! sure, it's next to newark and for all practical purposes it gets lumped in with it. but irvington is a separate city and it certainly creeps me out a lot more than newark!

Old 08-21-2006, 10:54 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Default Jersey City is getting expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofNY/NJ View Post
I was born in NYC but raised in JC. I left JC about 13 years ago. The place is a damned slum in my opinion. My family is still there though. I think they're nuts.

I am in Bergen as well and really want out. It's ridiculous how much we pay for everything. From taxes to insurance. All of this to subsidize the ghettos.

Of course now, another 1% sales tax! Please people stop voting for corrupt Democrats!

I
Jersey City has gotten expensive. Rents and condo prices are ridiculous plus high HOA fees & RE Taxes. Jersey City is now 'Hoboken Lite' or for people who can't afford Hoboken. It is no cheaper than the 'other 4 boros' outside of Manhattan, and just as expensive as the prime parts of Brooklyn .

A railroad style one bedroom apartment in a fourth floor walkup runs about $375,000 plus another $250 a month in HOA fees and another $200 in taxes (plus heat & hot water).

All these realtors are chasing the same demographic of person to rent or buy in their buildings -- The single six figure corporate yuppie under 35 who works in NYC & makes less than $250,000 a year but more than $100,000 a year.

As we all know, $100,000 a year for a single person doesn't get you much in terms of housing in this metro area these days.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:25 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Default The whole area is like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaytoknowyet View Post
I'm temporarily stuck up here in Southeast Bergen County as well till I figure where to eventually relocate to. Like you, it won't be south.

I was born in Jersey City over 4 decades ago but it was different there at that time. Noone could pay me enough to live there now as well as staying in NJ.

NJ is for the wealthy and the rest grind it out to live here for one reason or another.

NJ has unofficially become a huge 6th borough of NYC with the high cost of living to boot on the most part.

The whole region outside Manhattan has become like this. Northern NJ, Long Island & the 'Other 4 boros of NYC' are really the same -- overcrowded & overpriced to say the least. Grea

Great if you are a transplanted trustafarian or if you make well in the six figures and don't mind paying 3, 4 or 5 grand for housing costs. Sucks for anyone who is middle class or is making the reported median or mean income.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:08 AM

86 posts, read 380,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
The whole region outside Manhattan has become like this. Northern NJ, Long Island & the 'Other 4 boros of NYC' are really the same -- overcrowded & overpriced to say the least. Grea

Great if you are a transplanted trustafarian or if you make well in the six figures and don't mind paying 3, 4 or 5 grand for housing costs. Sucks for anyone who is middle class or is making the reported median or mean income.

Yeah, and the median income for the US on the whole is about $30-$35K/year.

So where does that put the average "Joe" income wise? To struggle or having to move away, some reluctantly so.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:00 AM

22 posts, read 129,787 times
Newark has theeee worst crime rate ever!! Although Mayor Booker is making efforts to clean it up, the backlash is going to be catastrophic. I am working on moving out of the entire region of Essex County as soon as possible! The corruption of politics and authority is crazy. The cost of living is down right expensive and you get nearly nothing for your money. Don't move here if you like having any type of peace!

Old 08-22-2006, 09:06 AM

I feel the pain of everyone of you. I was raised in Newark and it is just going deeper and deeper to Hell every year. Nothing is going to change for the better because to many excuses and progams are given to the lazy that do not want to better themselves and nothing is given to the hard work-class that are barely making it!!

Old 08-22-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelHaze30 View Post
I feel the pain of everyone of you. I was raised in Newark and it is just going deeper and deeper to Hell every year. Nothing is going to change for the better because to many excuses and progams are given to the lazy that do not want to better themselves and nothing is given to the hard work-class that are barely making it!!
Get out while you still can.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 PM

502 posts, read 2,296,028 times
Carteret and South Amboy looks ugly.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:50 PM

9 posts, read 81,989 times
Default I have a few picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Carteret and South Amboy looks ugly.
I think Perth Amboy is much more creepy than South Amboy...really. When taking the north jersey coast line of NJ Transit, that was a creepy, ugly station and driving through it does not present a pretty picture.

I lived in CNJ for 3 years and Keansburg, some parts of W. Long Branch and Asbury Park were not the most inviting of towns, to say the least.

I also get my hair done in Montclair (not upper montclair--that is absolutely beautiful). Some parts are very ugly--too close to E. Orange which is just as scary to me as Irvington and Newark. Orange is creepy too....whoo-boy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey