Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking into doing work on my house to improve my energy consumption and save some money.

Has anyone done this program through the state? I sent requests to a couple of the vendors listed, and got a few callbacks basically telling me the Assessment costs around $400 (one company will do it for $195, and credit that back to me if i choose to do any work through them).

I'm trying to figure out how to pick a company though. I live in West Orange, and these are the companies I contacted:

Home Energy Diagnostics

Designed Clean Energy LLC

Air Group, LLC

Crosstown Energy Solutions

Energy and Structures, Inc.

Tegla, LLC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 AM

268 posts, read 761,427 times
Yes, I used the program. I had my boiler and hot water heater replaced with high efficiency units. I also had blown-in insulation added and my house air sealed.

My heating bills have went down about 50% since last winter! Great program. The company I used to do the whole job from the audit to the install was Home Energy Matters - Home Energy Matters.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:54 PM

thanks ghuber. i'll contact them. hopefully they're not too far from West Orange.

My boiler is dated 1991, so i figure i have some room for improvement there. Hot water heater is only about 7 or 8 years old, so that's not terrible. Definitely need insulation though. Did they do your walls or just cielings?

Also, mind if i ask how much all that ran? You can DM me if you'd prefer. I was worried that the program would have income restrictions. I often fall just past all those things. From what I understand, for 2011, the program gives you $3,000 if you achieve 20-24.9% improvement, or $4,000 if you get a 25% or more improvement. Also, 0% loan for up to $10,000. So I'm thinking it's a no brainer if that's the deal. Replacing my furnace and doing insulation, combined with a couple windows that need replacing, should hit that number easily.

The place i scheduled with told me they don't do wall insulation. not sure why though.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 AM

268 posts, read 761,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
thanks ghuber. i'll contact them. hopefully they're not too far from West Orange.

My boiler is dated 1991, so i figure i have some room for improvement there. Hot water heater is only about 7 or 8 years old, so that's not terrible. Definitely need insulation though. Did they do your walls or just cielings?

Also, mind if i ask how much all that ran? You can DM me if you'd prefer. I was worried that the program would have income restrictions. I often fall just past all those things. From what I understand, for 2011, the program gives you $3,000 if you achieve 20-24.9% improvement, or $4,000 if you get a 25% or more improvement. Also, 0% loan for up to $10,000. So I'm thinking it's a no brainer if that's the deal. Replacing my furnace and doing insulation, combined with a couple windows that need replacing, should hit that number easily.

The place i scheduled with told me they don't do wall insulation. not sure why though.
No income restrictions on the program. Once you get the audit you just need to meet the energy savings requirements (> 25%) to get the best program benefits. I think my entire project cost like 14k, but I only ended up paying like $6900 using the 0% interest 10 yr loan... came about to about $57 a month.

They usually do blown in insulation in the attic. They can put it in the floors (attic) or ceiling (garages) but they have to drill small holes in the drywall in order to do it.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuber View Post
No income restrictions on the program. Once you get the audit you just need to meet the energy savings requirements (> 25%) to get the best program benefits. I think my entire project cost like 14k, but I only ended up paying like $6900 using the 0% interest 10 yr loan... came about to about $57 a month.

They usually do blown in insulation in the attic. They can put it in the floors (attic) or ceiling (garages) but they have to drill small holes in the drywall in order to do it.
thanks. i'm definitely calling your people. the guy i called said they won't do walls, and i think that's one of my biggest issues. i don't have drywall, i have plaster, so that may change things a bit. my attic is also finished, so there are some floor boards in the way (wood floor), so we'll see. thanks a bunch!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuber View Post
Yes, I used the program. I had my boiler and hot water heater replaced with high efficiency units. I also had blown-in insulation added and my house air sealed.

My heating bills have went down about 50% since last winter! Great program. The company I used to do the whole job from the audit to the install was Home Energy Matters - Home Energy Matters.
so i think i'm going to have home energy matters do it, and cancel my appointment with air group llc. it's $100 more, but i got a better feel from talking to them on the phone...

Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
so brady what do you think you are in for here?

I would like to re-visit this option. is efficiency GAIN measured by your heating gas usage or what? they must use some metric to measure this...

will you be able to stack this with federal tax credits? didn't those expire on dec 31 2010?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
so brady what do you think you are in for here?

I would like to re-visit this option. is efficiency GAIN measured by your heating gas usage or what? they must use some metric to measure this...

will you be able to stack this with federal tax credits? didn't those expire on dec 31 2010?
some federal credits are extended. and you can still get them on top of any state credits. the federal credits are reduced though. i think $500 instead of $1500.

we'll see. my audit is scheduled for jan 22nd.

a friend just did one in maryland...

Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
hmm thanks, let us know

i am thinking if you got a new furnace and some insulating

$10k minus 3k for home performance - $300 rebate for the furnace from NJ. If you could get $1500 back from the federal you're looking at like 5k. but i am pretty sure the fed $1500 is gone. just trying to think here what the bottom line is going to look like. i am interested also but they were tryingto rush me into something last time and the quotes seemed outrageous, and there was no tiering for different %'s.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:00 AM

yeah. and don't forget, 0% loan for $10,000. so in the end, the cost is very very low!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey