Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 12:57 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
Thank you for proving my point. And congratulations on being awesome .
livingston has a mix of people who care about those things ($300 haircuts and $3,000 purses) and people who don't. i work with more than a handful of people, and live in a neighboring town, to know that it's not everyone. In Northeast PA where I grew up, there's people obsessed with having the nicest things and flaunting them too. I don't know of many areas other than really rural areas that doesn't have both...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:34 PM

379 posts, read 512,884 times
They chose to put the Short Hills Mall in the Livingston area because there is an overabundance of people who don't care about materialism and status.

Look, I realize that there are many areas like this in the US. In NJ, I would say Paramus, Livingston/Short Hills, and Cherry Hill/Haddonfield in South Jersey. I am not against these areas- people like living there and that is their choice. God bless them. Its not for me, its not for the OP, and several others on this. I personally am disgusting by the attitude and quality of life in NJ.

There is a reason so many shows like Jerseylicious, Jersey Shore, Sopranos, and others are based in NJ. The unfortunate truth is that these shows depict the typical NYC/NJ resident as abhorrent, obnoxious, materialistic, and self-centered. This type of behavior is controversial to the rest of the US, including some Jersey residents who despise this type of behavior that seems to be becoming more and more acceptable and prevalent in this state.

The show is not called "Oregon Shore", or "Carolina shore", because this type of behavior does not exist there. It wouldn't make sense.

Last edited by Vintage Sunlight; 01-17-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
They chose to put the Short Hills Mall in the Livingston area because there is an overabundance of people who don't care about materialism and status.

Look, I realize that there are many areas like this in the US. In NJ, I would say Paramus, Livingston/Short Hills, and Cherry Hill/Haddonfield in South Jersey. I am not against these areas- people like living there and that is their choice. God bless them. Its not for me, its not for the OP, and several other on this. I personally am disgustiged by the attitude and quality of life in NJ.

There is a reason so many shows like Jerseylicious, Jersey Shore, Sopranos, and others are based in NJ. The unfortunate truth is that these shows depict the typical NYC/NJ resident as abhorrent, obnoxious, materialistic, and self-centered. This type of behavior is controversial to the rest of the US, including some Jersey residents who despise this type of behavior that seems to be becoming more and more acceptable and prevalent in this state.

The show is not called "Oregon Shore", or "Carolina shore", because this type of behavior does not exist there. It wouldn't make sense.
Short Hills Mall is technically in Millburn, not Livingston. Livingston is more diverse as far as what you're talking about. Paramus is all industrial parks and malls - I don't think it's that affluent in it's characteristicts. Cherry Hill maybe. But there's towns like those in every state. You started by sayings you can't survive in NJ if you're not worried about status, you'll get eaten alive. Maybe that's true of Short Hills, but it's not true of Livingston, West Orange, etc...Sopranos was based in NJ because that's where David Chase grew up, and he was exposed to that in NJ. I grew up in Northeast, PA, which had it's fare share of mafia-related politics and corruption also. As for Jersey Shore - sure, seaside heights is like that, but go to Ocean City or Cape May...I would hardly call it "typical" new jersey residents. if you don't like NJ, that's fine. I'm not an ardent defender of it by any means...but I pointed out - you can get by just fine if you're a relaxed individual that isn;'t concerned about making $500,000/yr...my wife and i do it. others do it. if one feels pressured, it's their own personality that makes them not survive.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:42 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast8 View Post
I didnt move here to " get away from it all " if I had somewhere to stay in Cali I would have never left. Like I said, abusive parents. I wanted to take a break from them for awhile and come out here and work and better myself. You cant do any of that stuff at home if you have controlling abusive parents that want to invade your privacy and be in your business 24/7. Not easy to deal with. And hey, I never said that people here were idiots, I said they are weird and have attitudes. If you think im the only one that feels that way google it and you will get plenty of people that feel the same way. But thanks man, hopefully you can get out one day too.
I don't care what I find people saying through google. Google "California sucks" and take the time to "believe what you read".. Illegal immigration, the major housing crisis, the poor education systems- CA has problems, and it's creeping up on having a higher COL than NJ (if it doesn't already)
You think I'm going to value any bitterness I read from nobodies who do nothing else but vent on the internet? These people have a horrible social life and they're borderline insane.

What's funny is that CA is infamous for having some of the most superficial people in the US. NJ is on a much smaller scale, and of course you're referring to BC of all place.

in the end, NJ/CA are among my top 3 favorite states.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:15 PM

120 posts, read 195,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I don't care what I find people saying through google. Google "California sucks" and take the time to "believe what you read".. Illegal immigration, the major housing crisis, the poor education systems- CA has problems, and it's creeping up on having a higher COL than NJ (if it doesn't already)
You think I'm going to value any bitterness I read from nobodies who do nothing else but vent on the internet? These people have a horrible social life and they're borderline insane.

What's funny is that CA is infamous for having some of the most superficial people in the US. NJ is on a much smaller scale, and of course you're referring to BC of all place.

in the end, NJ/CA are among my top 3 favorite states.
If one doesnt value posts on the internet, why does one read them? Better yet, why does one take the time out of his busy and cool day to respond? Especially to some psycho loser? Cmon man, you obviously value it if you responded unless you take the time out of your busy day to respond to every loser on the internet that is complaining about living in NJ. If I was an aspiring actor, would california suck then? Also there are mexicans all over the place here. I dont have a problem with them other than them talking all the jobs. Also, California has a right to be "superfical", its the home of hollywood.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 PM

120 posts, read 195,946 times
Quote:

Look, I realize that there are many areas like this in the US. In NJ, I would say Paramus, Livingston/Short Hills, and Cherry Hill/Haddonfield in South Jersey. I am not against these areas- people like living there and that is their choice. God bless them. Its not for me, its not for the OP, and several others on this. I personally am disgusting by the attitude and quality of life in NJ.

Well said union. But dont expect alot of this guys to understand. Everyone has to like NJ, or they are a loser with no social life, or a Psycho. But yet they can talk all the crap they want about any place they visit. You dont hear to many other places complaining about Californians when they visit there state. But New Yorkers/ New Jerseyians? They cant stand most of them, especially the accents and the loudness. But like I said before I dont hate people hear in NJ, they just arent my kind of people. Let them stay here, while I moonwalk my ass back to Cali. Hopefully the people from this state that want out, can get out sooner or later. Including you.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:24 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
Quote:
Well said union. But dont expect alot of this guys to understand. Everyone has to like NJ, or they are a loser with no social life, or a Psycho. But yet they can talk all the crap they want about any place they visit. You dont hear to many other places complaining about Californians when they visit there state. But New Yorkers/ New Jerseyians? They cant stand most of them, especially the accents and the loudness. But like I said before I dont hate people hear in NJ, they just arent my kind of people. Let them stay here, while I moonwalk my ass back to Cali. Hopefully the people from this state that want out, can get out sooner or later. Including you.
Hopefully you'll wait until summer for your moonwalk, but it sounds like you might not make it til then...remember it's cold out there and the weather on I80 from Iowa-Omaha gets downright nasty. Bring warm socks and an extra pair of shoes.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Oh and I never said anything bad about NYC. I actually think it isnt bad at all.
i said something bad about nyc. the place is a sewer.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:36 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Quote:
Thank you for proving my point. And congratulations on being awesome .
I don't think you understand my point at all.

Am I missing something here? Were people in NJ pressuring you to get a $300 haircut or carry a $3,000 purse or to live a certain lifestyle? YOU are the one that is letting stuff like that bother you. It's you. And just because someone DOES have a $300 haircut and carries a $3,000 purse, it doesn't automatically make them status obsessed or superficial. Your assumption as much says more about you than it does about them. There's a saying: Don't count other people's money.

And to reference things like Jersey Shore and Jerseylicious to support your argument is so weak. It's really so ignorant. The country is going through a Jersey phase and the entertainment industry is cashing in. It's Jersploitation. I'm sure you are familiar with blaxploitation, teensploitation, sexploitation, etc. etc. Well, this is Jersploitation. Shows like Jersey Shore, Jerseylicious, Jersey Couture, The Real Housewives of NJ (they would never have done a Real Housewives of NJ, had NJ not become a viral meme in itself) are meant to exploit and wildly exaggerate popular stereotypes for profit and entertainment. There is nothing factual or real about them. If I were to take everything I see on TV or in the movies seriously, I'd have to also believe that everyone in the south is slow, stupid and racist. And Californ-I-A is all beaches and blonde surfer dudes, right?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:44 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Quote:
Dude. WTF are you talking about? You have a giant chip on your shoulder. Everyone is saying you have to like NJ? And really, everyone that visits NY/NJ complains about New Yorkers and New Jersians? And nobody that visits California ever complains about California? Give me a break.

The people that are disagreeing with you on this thread are simply responding to your unsubstantited blanket comments about NJ. We all know that NJ has negatives. And no one is saying you have to agree with all the NJ positives. But when people like you start threads like this stating that ALL people are a certain way or the WHOLE state is this or that...and then you have nothing but your whiny little anecdotes about people being mean to you to back up what you say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey