Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 03:32 PM

41 posts, read 112,333 times

Advertisements

We were previously trying to decide on Franklin Lakes or Wyckoff, and we decided on FL... but now we're interested in a home in Old Tappan as well. I don't know too much about the town (besides what I've read on these forums). Neither my husband nor I need to commute, so that isn't a factor. Here are some questions I thought of, but please feel free to expand:

-Are there more/less sidewalks in OT?
-How's the OT school system?
-Does OT have a downtown area?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 06:24 PM

777 posts, read 2,383,863 times
Northern Valley Regional at Old Tappan was ranked #30 in the entire state by NJ Monthly Down from #18 in 2008. Their schools have an excellent reputation.

They don't really have a true downtown like Ridgewood or Westwood. They have a strip mall off Old Tappan Road with restaurants and stores.

Not sure about the sidewalks and how the 2 towns compare.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:33 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,067,763 times
Old Tappan is nice also.

If you want a real downtown area in northern Bergen County, you'd want to look at Ridgewood for sure.

HTH!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:39 PM

Thanks for your input!

We started off looking in Ridgewood, but quickly decided that it wasn't for us. It's a lovely town, and the downtown area is great... BUT the homes are very pricey, especially because it attracts a lot of people who need to commute to the city. It seems as if we could get a nicer house and more land in surrounding towns that do not have a train station (since neither my husband nor I need to commute).

Old 01-31-2011, 06:50 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,086,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingMommy View Post
Thanks for your input!

We started off looking in Ridgewood, but quickly decided that it wasn't for us. It's a lovely town, and the downtown area is great... BUT the homes are very pricey, especially because it attracts a lot of people who need to commute to the city. It seems as if we could get a nicer house and more land in surrounding towns that do not have a train station (since neither my husband nor I need to commute).
I thought FL was much higher than Ridgewood with Wyckoff & Ridgewood being more comparable. Has it changed that much in Ridgewood?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 PM

96 posts, read 350,909 times
If you're balking at pricey homes, you're looking in the wrong towns.

Franklin Lakes, Old Tappan and even Wyckoff are not the best places to find reasonably priced homes.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 PM

39 posts, read 184,791 times
Living in Old Tappan means the closest shopping area is the Palisades Mall in Rockland County. NY has sales tax on clothing. It's a long drive to Paramus on back roads.

Forget about Ridgewood's downtown. Hackensack had a nice downtown at one time too. Now it's abandoned. That's what is going to happen in Ridgewood.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:50 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,067,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I thought FL was much higher than Ridgewood with Wyckoff & Ridgewood being more comparable. Has it changed that much in Ridgewood?
It seems Ridgewood is very pricey for the house you get. But it might not be higher than Wyckoff.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
It seems Ridgewood is very pricey for the house you get. But it might not be higher than Wyckoff.
Exactly. Ridgewood is too pricey for the kind of home we're looking for. The homes in OT, FL, and Wyckoff tend to be newer with more land. Don't get me wrong, Ridgewood is a beautiful town, but I think the houses there are more expensive because of the train station (it attracts people who need to commute to the city).

Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 AM

88,688 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingMommy View Post
Exactly. Ridgewood is too pricey for the kind of home we're looking for. The homes in OT, FL, and Wyckoff tend to be newer with more land. Don't get me wrong, Ridgewood is a beautiful town, but I think the houses there are more expensive because of the train station (it attracts people who need to commute to the city).
This is true. I'm not familiar with OT, but until 40-50 years ago or so, most of Franklin Lakes and Wyckoff were farmland, while Ridgewood has been an established town for more than a century. They still have more of a "country" feel to them than Ridgewood. Same with Upper Saddle River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey