Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 PM

14 posts, read 42,794 times

Advertisements

US is the 4th continent I will be moving to in a span of 5 years. Asia, Australia, Europe and now America.I have many American friends here in London who seem to get baffled that we are moving to NJ. They give a nervous laugh, some s****** when I say it is NJ that I am off to. What am I getting into? Should I be worried? I am not American, not white. I would say I am very global in my outlook and was looking forward to diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Oh my god. You are making a massive mistake.

Just kidding. Welcome to NJ.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:15 PM

61 posts, read 140,125 times
New Jersey gets a bad rap but I am British and have lived here for over 10 years and I love it. It is a very diverse state and for the most part people are welcoming and friendly. As someone who currently lives in London (where I grew up) I would suggest living close to NYC - possibly Hoboken or Weehawken. I am not sure if you are already looking at specific areas but if you do your research, find the part of Jersey that suits your needs and tastes, you will feel at home in no time.

Don't listen to negative comments from out-of-staters and Good Luck!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:19 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Don't let your friends get your knickers in a bunch! Like all places, it has its pros and cons. Overall a very good place to live and will give you great access to experience much of the US.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:27 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicpat View Post
US is the 4th continent I will be moving to in a span of 5 years. Asia, Australia, Europe and now America.I have many American friends here in London who seem to get baffled that we are moving to NJ. They give a nervous laugh, some s****** when I say it is NJ that I am off to. What am I getting into? Should I be worried? I am not American, not white. I would say I am very global in my outlook and was looking forward to diversity.
Baffled? It's right near NYC, how baffling is that?

You'll be fine. Your British friends sound like snobs though. Where do they live in London if you don't mind my asking? They sound like quite the posh crowd.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:35 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
get ready to meet your new new jersey boyfriend:

Old 02-03-2011, 02:44 PM

14 posts, read 42,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Baffled? It's right near NYC, how baffling is that?

You'll be fine. Your British friends sound like snobs though. Where do they live in London if you don't mind my asking? They sound like quite the posh crowd.
Ann77, funnily enough, it is the Americans I know here in the Uk who are forewarning me followed by a "Oh, you'll be fine" afterthought! I live a typical expat life here and my children go to the an American IB school where there are people from all over the world. What I love about my life here is the diversity, and meeting such an international, culturally varied crowd. The Brits are actually very sweet- it is their innate politeness which give them a bad name of being snooty and cold. Scratch the surface and they are like anyone else.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:48 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:
Ann77, funnily enough, it is the Americans I know here in the Uk who are forewarning me followed by a "Oh, you'll be fine" afterthought! I live a typical expat life here and my children go to the an American IB school where there are people from all over the world. What I love about my life here is the diversity, and meeting such an international, culturally varied crowd. The Brits are actually very sweet- it is their innate politeness which give them a bad name of being snooty and cold. Scratch the surface and they are like anyone else.
I wonder how many of these Americans have lived in NJ...? Stereotypes make for easy jokes, but rarely reflect truth.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:53 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,828 times
Quote:
Oh that makes sense. I have a friend that moved over there and now she talks with a fake British accent. Like what happened to Madonna when she married Guy Ritchie. I could see her saying something like that.

Not sure what part of the state you'll be in, but there are definitely towns that attract expats more than others. Princeton is one that comes to mind.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
a lot of negativity regarding new jersey comes from new york city residents. they live in a sewer so they feel the need to speak negatively of nj so they feel better about where they live. new jersey has a high cost of living. other than that, there is plenty of good stuff here to enjoy life just like there is in any state in america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey