Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 10:16 PM

57 posts, read 309,670 times

Advertisements

I took the family down to Wildwood over the weekend for the New Jersey state barbeque championship and blues festival. It was lots of fun and I stuffed my face on ribs and pulled pork. I got the chance to try Butch’s smack your lips BBQ ribs. I had seen Butch on Throw down with Bobby Flay and on some other show on food network about the BBQ festival in Asbury Park a couple years ago. These ribs were killer.

I learned something down there in Wildwood. I learned that my ribs are as good as anyone else (at least I think so).

So I’m wondering what it would take to get an armature BBQ festival going?
Maybe an Ocean county or Ocean and Monmouth thing. The festival down in Wildwood had real pros competing, BBQ teams who have won awards and prize money.

I do “low and slow” barbeque at home and think I’m pretty good at it but I’m not ready to go against the pros.

So any ideas how I would go about getting a local BBQ festival off the ground?
I’m sure there are backyard smokers out there like me who would enjoy trying their hand at an armature competition. Maybe we could get BBQ restaurant owners or managers or pit masters to judge?

It would seem that music and BBQ go together, and I’ll bet there are lots of local bands that would be happy to play for free.

The festival could raise money for a local fire department or rescue squad.
I’m sure it would be easy to find vendors and other attractions. Sponsors may be a little harder.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 42,528 times
Check with the local FD and PD for suggestions... i am sure they would have some ideas on organizing events... then, once u get their backing, its easier to get sponsors like Dunkin's, super markets, local butchers/meat markets...may be have some volunteer squads assist in organizing the event..
its a great idea, i think?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 AM

Thank you for the advice annagaru.
I’ve been talking to people and I’m slowly figuring out what I need to do. First thing I need is a proposal that I can send to various towns and fire departments. So I’ll soon be drawing one up. I also need to network with a few backyard BBQ fanatics so that I know I have competitors on board. I’m thinking of starting a club. Then I’ll see what else needs to be done. I’m sure I can get something going even if it’s just a very small cook off in conjunction with a church fundraiser. I think a pork barbeque rib cook off would be just a little inappropriate for a synagogue fundraiser so I won’t be asking my rabbi.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 18,570 times
Hello, I am actually interested in the same type of event/competition and i am wondering how's your progress.....i need help also my first time trying to do something like this....

Old 08-01-2010, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 16,758 times
I am trying to do the same thing but not sure how. If any of you have got a club or a festival going could you tell me how its going and what helped you start out. maybe some do's and dont's.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 16,665 times
I am looking to do the samething, but have no clue where to start. I think some of your suggestions will be a start. Let me know your progress

Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 PM

I completely forgot about this thread I posted years ago on starting a BBQ competition.
Sorry I didn't get back to the people who replied to it.

I was living in the Lakewood/Howell area at that time and tried to sell the idea around Lakewood, Howell and Jackson but there were no takers. I approached all the various fire departments, social clubs and the people who run the Renaissance fair. These people didn't seem to understand what I was talking about and couldn't seem to grasp the concept. No mater how many times I tried to explain what barbecue is they kept thinking hot dogs, hamburgers and steaks and seemed to feel that there would be no interest in such an event. Oh well.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,910 times
Sadly, Butch passed away but his family continues the tradition. They were at the festival last year in Wildwood and continuing to do really great food.

As for your festival idea, it's not the PDs and FDs you want to go to, it's the local town government. Appeal to them that it might be a revenue and tourism generator. Stay away from South Jersey because the Wildwood event is the really big deal, so focus on Monmouth-Middlesex-Mercer.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM

When I started this thread way back in August 2007 I was somewhat new to BBQ, only having been doing real BBQ for about two years. I have learned a lot since then and have even bin on a BBQ team. I had the pleasure of getting to know Butch Lupinetti before his sad and untimely death. He was truly a sweet heart and is missed by all who knew him.

I no longer feel the need to start a BBQ event but if I did I now know where to turn. For a little amateur Backyard type event I would turn to The Mid-Atlantic BBQ association or the BBQ Brethren or both. These organizations are uniquely qualified to advise on HOW-TO BBQ. Save KCBS for the big events.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:31 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,910 times
As an update on this thread, the NJ BBQ Championships were in Wildwood this weekend. Butch's wife and daughter continue to do BBQ, and they won best ribs. Awesome job by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey