Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:40 PM

681 posts, read 1,511,930 times

Advertisements

We are a nation of handouts. The sense of pride and resposibilty is on the downslope...fast. When I saw old black and white images of the "poor", they were immigrants who came over hear looking to get any sort of work they could to start a better life. The "poor" today are, in many cases, redifined. They are more "victims" of society. Working in medicine, I see the "poor" all the time. They don't have the sense to "mother" or father" their child through a cold so they bring them to the ER where they are completely uninsured. Oddly enough, while they wait, they have plenty of time to text on their iphone or make as many calls as they want. They all have unplanned kids with different names and all seemed to be the head of broken or divided households. We still keep cutting the checks enabling them to make more offspring to which we cut even more checks. When does the merry-go-round stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i can assure you that the baby boomers will be fighting tooth and nail for their social security.
As a baby boomer, I assure you that this has been a topic since the law was changed, many years ago, with us. I don't expect to see a plug nickel & don't know a single other baby boomer who thinks otherwise. On the other hand "W"'s plan to put it in the stock market lit our fires pretty fast.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
As a baby boomer, I assure you that this has been a topic since the law was changed, many years ago, with us. I don't expect to see a plug nickel & don't know a single other baby boomer who thinks otherwise. On the other hand "W"'s plan to put it in the stock market lit our fires pretty fast.
i dont care what anyone expects. bottom line, the baby boomers will be fighting for it and most likely they will get it. saying what you expect isnt really saying anything. i dont expect it either, but i will expect any group representing me to try as hard as possible to get it for me.

w had no such plan to put peoples money in the stock market. thats so silly. putting money into a private account isnt equal to putting all their retirement savings (or any of it) into microsoft stock. anyone who is against private accounts in place of social security is totally clueless.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
i dont care what anyone expects. bottom line, the baby boomers will be fighting for it and most likely they will get it. saying what you expect isnt really saying anything. i dont expect it either, but i will expect any group representing me to try as hard as possible to get it for me.

w had no such plan to put peoples money in the stock market. thats so silly. anyone who is against private accounts in place of social security is totally clueless.
Apparently you missed that one. It was discussed widely in the national news.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Apparently you missed that one. It was discussed widely in the national news.
just because you dont understand it doesnt mean that i missed it.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:50 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
thats very nice of you but i actually do believe that my opinions are whats best for moving our country forward. so the more people that think like me vote, the better off our country is. if you believe that your opinions arent best for the country, then i can see your position making sense.

increased public education funding doesnt make our country better. in general, increased any government spending hurts our country. so im always going to side with cuts.
everyone thinks that of their opinions. doesn't make it true. the best businesses have open forums for ideas. diversity of ideas is what makes us a great country as well.

i didn't say increase public education funding, but decreasing it to the point that old folks want would mean basically eliminating it.

not all cuts are good. you're intelligent enough to know that i think...

Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:

w had no such plan to put peoples money in the stock market. thats so silly. putting money into a private account isnt equal to putting all their retirement savings (or any of it) into microsoft stock. anyone who is against private accounts in place of social security is totally clueless.
it would have been placed in funds run by the investment banks. those funds would own stock. that was the plan. that's exactly what private accounts were intended to do. where did you think they would put the money?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
everyone thinks that of their opinions. doesn't make it true. the best businesses have open forums for ideas. diversity of ideas is what makes us a great country as well.

i didn't say increase public education funding, but decreasing it to the point that old folks want would mean basically eliminating it.

not all cuts are good. you're intelligent enough to know that i think...
thats your opinion. i think your application to real business doesnt fit government and is too simplified. its not like a business is going to let an uneducated nutjob sit in on board meetings and offer their diverse opinion.

decreasing public education funding is a good thing.

not all cuts are good but the reality is that i cant target the cuts where i would want to target them. so since i dont have the luxury of picking and choosing, ill side with cutting anything and everything.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it would have been placed in funds run by the investment banks. those funds would own stock. that was the plan. that's exactly what private accounts were intended to do. where did you think they would put the money?
not all funds own stocks. there are a lot of different choices when it comes to investment options. if someone wanted a portfolio of zero stocks, thats very simple to do.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
just because you dont understand it doesnt mean that i missed it.
I've seen you browbeat & insult people in various threads. I'm not playing that game. Argue with someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey