Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:30 PM

858 posts, read 2,993,636 times

Advertisements

It never ends:

Monmouth County Board of Freeholders is demanding givebacks from Brookdale Community College President Peter F. Burnham's lucrative job contract after learning that the college's board of trustees has granted him an enviable list of benefits to go along with his $216,000 annual base salary.

The freeholders recently learned that Burnham, who has been college president for the past 20 years, also receives a country club membership, a $1,500 monthly housing allowance and a new vehicle "suitable to his office," which most recently meant a 2010 Ford Expedition that the college purchased for $42,815.
Burnham's contract also allows up to $40,000 annually in college tuition for his two children, for a total of $267,676 to private universities so far.
"I see this as an extravagance at a time and place when there's no room for extravagance," Freeholder John P. Curley said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
i understand the housing stipend and even the vehicle, that's pretty standard for that position. i worked with a lot of colleges and universities when i was doing consulting work. the salary is impressive for a community college pres.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:54 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i understand the housing stipend and even the vehicle, that's pretty standard for that position. i worked with a lot of colleges and universities when i was doing consulting work. the salary is impressive for a community college pres.
Why would you need a housing stipend if you've been in the position for 20 years? At that point, I think it'd be expected that your permanent residence was near the campus- especially with that salary.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Why would you need a housing stipend if you've been in the position for 20 years? At that point, I think it'd be expected that your permanent residence was near the campus- especially with that salary.
probably true. but president's are typically just a person who does networking and butt kissing. so almost every college i've ever been to (sadly, been to a lot), has a residence for the president. they do events there and he/she lives there. it's pretty common, but i'm a bit surprised to see it at a community college. i'm not saying it makes sense, just saying, it's commonly part of the compensation for that position, so it's not shocking to see it. that's pretty crazy amount for a car stipend. i've seen presidents that make much more than that and they are given a camry or something of that sort.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
'Cept there are probably dozens of HS superintendents making the same or better.

And there's a certain coach at Rutgers who earns 10X that and got a free house in Piscataway, use of a helicopter, free car I'm sure, etc.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:05 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times
This man was offered a job at a SUNY college and in order to keep him the college agreed to these perks in the contract. Now they could have chosen not to keep him but the trustees felt he was the person best suited for the school. I thought that is how the system was supposed to work? He would have received these perks at the other school so that must have been the market at the time. Seems unfair to challenge it now.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:17 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Simply another illustration of why educational costs are so reasonable. There are many more.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:59 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
I read this in the paper yesterday. I thought the salary was reasonable but thought the vehicle allowance and the housing stipend were a bit much. (I am not familiar with compensation packages in the academic world, but thanks for that info.)

Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 AM

858 posts, read 707,878 times
All those things are too much. Middle class people have mortgages, cars and kids in college and are doing that on a third of his salary. Why do these high positions (councilmen, presidents, ceos) get cars? Am I supposed to believe that they cannot afford a $400 monthly payment for a car on their $200K+ salary?

Old 02-26-2011, 07:29 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
All those things are too much. Middle class people have mortgages, cars and kids in college and are doing that on a third of his salary. Why do these high positions (councilmen, presidents, ceos) get cars? Am I supposed to believe that they cannot afford a $400 monthly payment for a car on their $200K+ salary?
It's not a matter of whether someone can afford something or not. It's a matter of trying to retain people with specific knowledge and talent by offering them a compensation package that will keep them from seeking a position elsewhere.

The article in the APP did say that this person was willing to discuss changes to his contract in view of the state of the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: