Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:26 PM

15 posts, read 29,460 times

Advertisements

My employer is routinely late in handing out paychecks, and they frequently bounce when they do arrive, causing more delays in actually obtaining and depositing my salary into the bank. I accumulate late fees on my credit card and loans because of the delay in payment, usually to the tune of almost 75 dollars per month. Every payday certain employees seem to get checks and others have to wait up to a week (but in one case, he is 3 MONTHS behind in payments). Its like a game of late-fee penalty roulette.

My question is, are there any laws (Federal or NJ) that state an employer MUST have a check waiting for me on the agreed upon paydays? Anybody that has any links to statutes (I can't seem to find any online!) or expertise in these matters please help! Its come to the point where I'm losing money by showing up at work, and I'm between a rock and a hard place financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,019,551 times
Employer has 72 hrs to produce the paycheck. I would file for passing bad checks.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:43 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,561 times
I'd also start looking for a new job...sounds like the company or business you work for has some serious cash flow problem and is a red flag for possibility of going belly up.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
I'd also start looking for a new job...sounds like the company or business you work for has some serious cash flow problem and is a red flag for possibility of going belly up.

I agree.
This company is probably not long for this world.
I suggest that the OP begin his/her job search in earnest immediately. Also--he/she should begin immediate legal action for damages resulting from the late paychecks.

If this company declares bankruptcy in the very near future, it would be to the OP's benefit to be at the head of the line for a settlement, rather than being at the back of the line.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
In NJ you must be paid a minimum of two times in each calendar month, unless you are part of a special class of workers (generally executives, supervisors or certain skilled trades). Even if you were a special class, you would still need to be paid at least once a month and per an agreed to schedule. Failure to meet that standard is a violation of NJ state law.

Additionally, your employer must pay you on the specified payday per your schedule. They may with reasonable cause delay payment up to 72 hours. However, repeat incidents or going beyong the grace period is a violation.

You can contact the NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development and they can assist with you the matter. The only real PITA with NJ law is that violations must be paid by the employer to the state, the worker generally does not receive compensation for the employers violations.

As others have said, I'd be looking for a new job.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 AM

15 posts, read 29,460 times
thank you NJ goat. I appreciate the response. Its good to know there are concrete laws I can use when I demand my check again today.....

I will definitely follow up with the DoL

Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,774 times
It is done through the DOL Wage & Hour.

Here is the link. You can review the laws pertaining to payment on this site. You can also report the employer.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | File a Wage Claim

Old 03-03-2011, 11:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
I don't know about you, but I would have been looking for a new job the day the first check bounced or was late.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:23 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyisfallingapart View Post
thank you NJ goat. I appreciate the response. Its good to know there are concrete laws I can use when I demand my check again today.....

I will definitely follow up with the DoL
You can make demands and file paperwork until you are blue in the face. GET OUT. You are on a sinking ship and are rearranging the deck chairs. Find a job with a real employer that is making money and paying their valued employees. If you stay, it becomes YOUR fault.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
out of curiosity, have you started looking for another job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey