Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 02:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
If someone is going slow in the left lane on the highway, they should get the highbeam flash. left lane is for passing or the leadfoot, period.

as long as we're on the subject, when it's raining or getting dark, I'm amazed how many people drive without headlights on.
yeah, im not understanding the negativity. im doing what im supposed to do. i wouldnt tailgate or flash someone who isnt driving in the left lane. but if you want to cruise in the left lane, i may just hit you with some high beams. oh and if im feeling frisky, i may even call upon mr finger to make an appearance, and when i summon mr. finger he goes out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 03:23 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,761,730 times
Its such a rare occurrence but I actually agree with Captain....again.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:49 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,752,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I actually think some of the new headlights are just too bright.
Other drivers are always flashing their lights at me when I don't have my brights on.

And, anyone that drives in the left lane and thinks it's okay deserves to get "flashed." There's no other way to tell them to move over, so you can get by. How many people don't know you can get a ticket riding in the passing lane?

Old 03-11-2011, 03:53 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,970,935 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c885ytOrEQI

Old 03-11-2011, 04:02 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it wont happen. thats one of my favorite moves (brake checking someone who is tailgaiting me). there is no way i would let someone do it to me successfully. if i get on someone's butt, im ready for the brake check.

its good fun for my 45 mile commute. i have no temper so if they do stuff to get at me, i just enjoy it because i know im bothering them.

people haaaaate getting brake checked. its great.
I just turn down my mirrors so your lights don't affect me and then slow down a little more. Then I laugh and laugh when you finally do the "I'll show YOU!" schtick by speeding up and roaring past.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:51 PM

19,147 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydarksky View Post
I've noticed when friends take me places i need to go to get necessities at night time or just at the time it is turning night that a a lot of people are forgetting the curtsy of turning there high beams down

I will agree that high beam headlights can indeed be annoying, but I will offer another possibility for you to consider:
It is possible that you have cataracts developing in one or both eyes.

Please don't say that you are "too young" for cataracts because I had to have cataract surgery in one eye at the age of 51, and in the other eye at the age of 53. Apparently some cataracts are of a type that form very early. When cataracts are present, the glare of oncoming lights is amplified or exaggerated to the point where it can be truly blinding. I strongly suggest that you have an eye exam in order to rule out cataracts or some other visual problem.

However, while I do expect people to dim their high beams when they encounter oncoming traffic, I do not expect them to curtsy to me.
Being polite is nice, but curtsying while driving could be dangerous.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,358,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, im not understanding the negativity. im doing what im supposed to do. i wouldnt tailgate or flash someone who isnt driving in the left lane. but if you want to cruise in the left lane, i may just hit you with some high beams. oh and if im feeling frisky, i may even call upon mr finger to make an appearance, and when i summon mr. finger he goes out the window.
So it's okay if you tailgate and flash your high beams at people in the left lane, but if you're the one being tailgated or getting flashed then the person behind you deserves a "brake check"? Seems like a bit of a double standard IMO. As was said, the left lane is for passing. Even if you're driving fast, if someone behind you wants to drive faster and you don't move over, then you deserve to get flashed too.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just turn down my mirrors so your lights don't affect me and then slow down a little more. Then I laugh and laugh when you finally do the "I'll show YOU!" schtick by speeding up and roaring past.
i get satisfaction out of seeing you move your mirror. if i try to get around you and succeed, ill jump in front of you and brake check. you may say you would laugh, but so far ive never had anyone laugh about a brake check. if i try to get around you and fail, ill laugh and call you the winner. i dont get upset even if i "lose." one of the problems in dealing with me is that nothing really bothers me.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So it's okay if you tailgate and flash your high beams at people in the left lane, but if you're the one being tailgated or getting flashed then the person behind you deserves a "brake check"? Seems like a bit of a double standard IMO. As was said, the left lane is for passing. Even if you're driving fast, if someone behind you wants to drive faster and you don't move over, then you deserve to get flashed too.
if im not passing, ill move over to the right. the issue comes about when someone is trying to fly and they immediately are right on my butt. you have to give someone a little time to move before you start getting on them. also, if there is a row of people in front of me and you get on my butt, im not going to move just so you can get ahead of me and get in back of the line. i understand the rules and i follow them. just like there are rules for the slow people, there are rules for the fast ones also.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Tailgating IS terrorizing.

People that tailgate & high beam, brake check, curse out the window, flip the bird, feel compelled to teach people 'a lesson' and use the horn not as a warning device, but to telegraph angry morse code honking storm diatribes of frustration and hatred (HONK HOOOOOONK HONK HONK HOOOOOOONK HOOOOOOONK HOOOOOOOOOONK) are driving with their p e n i s. Member size is inversely proportional to severity of driving aggression, by the way.
i ignored this post at first because i feel its totally not applicable to me and im not a fan of trying to relate things to peoples genitalia. what i do when driving doesnt make me feel manly or tough. i dont have hatred for people that cant drive. i just think people should drive properly and if they cant drive properly then they dont belong on the road. i manage to have a little fun with it because its not really in me to get angry. only my wife can make me angry and that doesnt happen very often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey