Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 878 times

Advertisements

I currently stay in Metuchen, NJ and work in midtown NYC. I'm looking to rent at around 1100-1200. Im looking into moving out somewhere in NJ with more open space, quite, clean with upto an hours or hour fifteen minute commute to midtown NYC. Im not too much into night life as long as the community is safe and the public school system is good. So..in summary Im looking for a community which has:

1) good/decent public school
2) close to midtown NYC
3) clean/ safe and has little bit of nature
4) Budget 1100-1200

I was wondering if anyone could help or suggest any nice towns.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:50 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Of 2-4, pick 2. I don't think you can get all of those.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haribol View Post
I currently stay in Metuchen, NJ and work in midtown NYC. I'm looking to rent at around 1100-1200. Im looking into moving out somewhere in NJ with more open space, quite, clean with upto an hours or hour fifteen minute commute to midtown NYC. Im not too much into night life as long as the community is safe and the public school system is good. So..in summary Im looking for a community which has:

1) good/decent public school
2) close to midtown NYC
3) clean/ safe and has little bit of nature
4) Budget 1100-1200

I was wondering if anyone could help or suggest any nice towns.

Thanks in advance
Doesn't exist.

If you're looking for schools, I assume you have at least one child, and so you'd be looking for a two-bedroom rental. Your budget's a little low there. And moving "out" somewhere with more space doesn't jibe with an hour and fifteen minute commute.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Doesn't exist.

If you're looking for schools, I assume you have at least one child, and so you'd be looking for a two-bedroom rental. Your budget's a little low there. And moving "out" somewhere with more space doesn't jibe with an hour and fifteen minute commute.
You could move to South Orange or Montclair and be reasonably near nature and have the 1:15 commute, but not for that price, not even close. (and having no kids I have no idea about the schools)

Old 03-26-2011, 11:07 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,494 times
You're definitely not going to get ALL of those.

If you want 1, 2, and 4 you're going to be way out from Midtown and probably have what will be a 2 hour commute door to door (or a little less depending.)

You can get the first three but you need to at LEAST double your estimate. Back in 2004 when I first moved to NJ I was paying JUST under that for a 1 bedroom in Caldwell, which was a steal for the area. (Although culture shock for me moving from northeastern PA.) By the time I moved in 2007 even with limits on how much rent can go up, my rent was over that $1200 limit (and trust me, I had a very no frills 1 bedroom apt.) Which brings me to what I feel is the most important point to tell newcomers to North Jersey - it is exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, to find an apartment for less than $1200 in North Jersey that is not in an urban area with a reputation for crime. This apartment will almost never be bigger than a 1 bedroom (and in most cases will actually be a studio).

Frankly, even if you go further/out south - that's still a tough budget for a 2 bedroom. Doable in parts of Mercer/Middlesex counties but tough.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 PM

88 posts, read 228,749 times
There are a couple of rentals here Ringwood, NJ Apartments for Rent, Home & House Rentals - NJ.com in Ringwood but you will sacrifice the commute. It will be up to 2 hours at rush hour some days. But you will get the other three things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey