Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 05:43 PM

9 posts, read 34,670 times

Advertisements

Seriously considering Manalapan, Millstone, Freehold. moving from Rockaway Park Queens. Would prefer to be in Holmdel (Greek church is there) or Colts Neck but too pricey. Want to spend about 700k. Want a 4+ bedroom, one acres, basement (prefer finished), pool, office, plyroom. Say 3600+ sq feet.

We are almost 40, two girls aged 3 and 5.

Can you tell me about towns. What are differences? Programs available for children? Shopping? Restaurants (I saw Freehold has a dowtown)? How are schools? Where is most Christian areas?

Differences within Freehold? How is Upper Freehold differnt?

Any place else we ,should consider?

Thanks in advance for feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 06:17 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,624,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyinNY View Post
Seriously considering Manalapan, Millstone, Freehold. moving from Rockaway Park Queens. Would prefer to be in Holmdel (Greek church is there) or Colts Neck but too pricey. Want to spend about 700k. Want a 4+ bedroom, one acres, basement (prefer finished), pool, office, plyroom. Say 3600+ sq feet.

Can you tell me about towns. What are differences? Programs available for children? Shopping? Restaurants (I saw Freehold has a dowtown)? How are schools? Where is most Christian areas?

You can probably get close to what you want in Holmdel or Colts Neck (do a search on realtor.com) If you want to be close to the Greek church forget about Upper Freehold and Millstone (real nice towns, country feel, farms, horse country) they are a bit of a drive. When asking about Freehold, you need to be specific. There is Freehold Borough (which has what you refer to as downtown) and there is Freehold Township which surrounds Freehold Borough. Freehold borough is a small town that has a mixed population and probably don't meet your needs. Freehold Township is a large town with homes from 200K to 1.5 Mil+. You can look in the eastern section of Freehold Township on the Colts Neck Border and find what your looking for (and still be within 20 minutes of the church in Holmdel). Manalapan and Marlboro are similar towns as well. I'm sure people here will chime in on the plus and minus of those towns. You can also look in Middletown. Good luck to you.

Last edited by exhdo1; 08-13-2011 at 06:39 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 08:35 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,430 times
The houses are nice but is there any "town" there? I drive through that area and don't sense any community feel

Old 08-14-2011, 01:39 PM

133 posts, read 502,565 times
Don't give up on Holmdel or Colts Neck. My SIL didn't think she could get into these towns either, and she was able to buy a 5B/3BTH, 3700 SQ FT for 800K. Prices are dropping so I would definitely keep looking in thoses areas if that is where you truly want to be.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:36 PM

5 posts, read 10,665 times
I lived in Manalapan for about 6 years. Although I loved it down there, there was no town feel. I wanted my daughter to grow up in an area where we could walk to the ice cream store, and I could walk her to school. No such thing in Manalapan.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Restaurants (I saw Freehold has a dowtown)?
when i was a kid, i would say that the freehold town area was mixed. its not mixed now. its like 95% mexican.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:14 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,527 times
Quote:

Manalapan - McMansions and Cell-Phone-talking-leased-SUV drivers up the wazoo that "pretend" to be loaded with $$$$ but instead just sue each other to maintain their empty lifestyle and spoil their kids rotten. Complete with deep exaggerated dumb-Brooklynite accents. If you like these backsliders you are set.

Millstone - Other than the fact that it is a very boring, desolate place with absolutely nothing at all to do except maybe look at summer camps, it is fine.

Freehold and Upper Freehold are completely different towns, they do not even touch. UF is past Millstone on the border into Jackson (Ocean County) and is kinda the same kind of place, except it has a nice little main street called Allentown. Freehold Township is where all the business/commerce is for that entire region and the borough (downtown) is the county seat which has pretty much become ghettofied over the last few years.

I do not think any of these towns are exactly "Christian". Most of the people I have met from there are Jewish. Don't know much about the schools - taught in Manalapan for one year and that was enough to know that those are not kids I would want my children to associate with. I think the best schools in Monmouth County are Holmdel, which is a very nice town, but out of anyone's price range that is not incredibly wealthy like you already said.

Are you that picky about the location?

Last edited by HubCityMadMan; 08-15-2011 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey