Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:55 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times

Advertisements

Well, at 7am tomorrow, we officially hit the road, bound for Atlanta. We closed on our house in Iselin on Wednesday, and we're outta here!

Best of luck to everyone- both those staying, and those going off to greener pastures...........

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 05:52 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,247,513 times
Default Bye Bye NJ

Good luck to you and your family Bob. We defected 4 years ago. Born and raised there we were fed up with "living to work" and moved to NC, a year before NJ "snuck" in the Exit Tax for people leaving the state of NJ. We go back a couple of times a year to see the kids and are always happy to come back home to NC. kelsie

Old 07-27-2007, 06:26 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Why'd you leave? You're not even going to give a summary of your decision?

Old 07-27-2007, 06:40 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Good luck on the move.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:47 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Why'd you leave? You're not even going to give a summary of your decision?
Well, we'd been considering a number of options over the past year or so- adding on to our house, buying something else in NJ, moving out of state, etc. Moving out of state was really starting to look like the best option of all, and we had looked at Atlanta, Charlotte, Denver, and a few other locations. Then to seal the deal, a good friend of mine from Atlanta came to me with a job offer that was too good to pass up.

So, basically, we're heading to one of the outer suburbs of Atlanta, where I'll be working from home on projects that are 2-4 miles from the house. I've got one project in downtown, so I'll have to head into town around once a week, but I can set meeting times up to avoid the rush hour traffic. We're getting 3 times the house we had in Iselin, built brand new, in a master planned community with pools, two private lakes, walking trails, etc., for less than what we sold the Iselin house for, and the taxes are around 1/2 of what we were paying. My salary is staying the same, so our quality of life is improving drastically.

Bob

Old 07-27-2007, 07:03 PM

543 posts, read 1,455,991 times
Good luck Bob, to you and your family. Hope everything works out well for you. However, just remember you can take the boy out of Jersey but ....

Old 07-27-2007, 07:03 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, we'd been considering a number of options over the past year or so- adding on to our house, buying something else in NJ, moving out of state, etc. Moving out of state was really starting to look like the best option of all, and we had looked at Atlanta, Charlotte, Denver, and a few other locations. Then to seal the deal, a good friend of mine from Atlanta came to me with a job offer that was too good to pass up.

So, basically, we're heading to one of the outer suburbs of Atlanta, where I'll be working from home on projects that are 2-4 miles from the house. I've got one project in downtown, so I'll have to head into town around once a week, but I can set meeting times up to avoid the rush hour traffic. We're getting 3 times the house we had in Iselin, built brand new, in a master planned community with pools, two private lakes, walking trails, etc., for less than what we sold the Iselin house for, and the taxes are around 1/2 of what we were paying. My salary is staying the same, so our quality of life is improving drastically.

Bob
Yeah, but now you'll be saying "y'all" all the time and eating grits.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:10 PM

52 posts, read 205,598 times
Default Goodbye- enjoy Atlanta!

Thanks for all your insight Bob...even when I took some of it the wrong way!
Where are you moving to in Atlanta? We're leaving Newnan a master planned community here...hopefully we'll make it back here in the next 5-10 years!
Good Luck- you'll love it!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:12 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,641 times
Good luck! You'll absolutely love the South. Just don't start with the sweet tea--it's addictive.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:21 PM

66 posts, read 390,970 times
Default best of luck

Please post your experiences when you get settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey