Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 8,906 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to NJ. We are looking for a town with a town center, great schools, community oriented around family, sidewalks and streets my kids can ride bikes on. Within 1hr or so from NYC and a major airport. Possibly pools and great parks, shopping and dining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:22 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin to NJ View Post
We are relocating to NJ. We are looking for a town with a town center, great schools, community oriented around family, sidewalks and streets my kids can ride bikes on. Within 1hr or so from NYC and a major airport. Possibly pools and great parks, shopping and dining.
Long Valley - Washington Twp., Morris County. Will the commute to NYC be a daily thing or just an option in case you want to head in for a day trip?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:28 AM

825 posts, read 3,161,549 times
my town is very family friendly. Mendham. we don't have much of a town center. there's a small downtown with a couple of small shops and a pub. it's decent, but it's nothing like what you would consider a normal downtown. I think of large brick buildings when I think of a downtown, our downtown is a bunch of old colonial buildings, but it's nice. there's also a small shopping center with King's and more shops, and that's about it. it's not a very exciting town, but then again, when was the last time any family-friendly place was exciting?

if mendham doesn't satisfy you, you could also try the neighboring chester. they have three times the number of shopping centers we do, and more big name stores. Mendham doesn't allow any franchizes in town, like Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, or Wendy's. all of those are in Chester. the two downtown areas are also very similar, with the old colonial style buildings.

some other towns I know of that are family-friendly, are Florham Park and Bridgewater. I used to live in Bridgewater, its a very large town, so there's a mix of friendly people and not so friendly people. it really just matters which side of town you live on and what road you live on. my neighborhood was very friendly when we lived there. anywhere north of Route 22 is fine, usually. that's where most of the whites live. whereas south of 22, you border towns like Somerville, Manville, Bound Book, etc. more urban/blue collar towns. the southside of bridgewater is where the minorities live. even before the large influx of minorities (which has only been recent, like since 2004) the southside of town was always a bit edgy. the north side is clearly nicer.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:32 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
my town is very family friendly. Mendham. we don't have much of a town center. there's a small downtown with a couple of small shops and a pub. it's decent, but it's nothing like what you would consider a normal downtown. I think of large brick buildings when I think of a downtown, our downtown is a bunch of old colonial buildings, but it's nice. there's also a small shopping center with King's and more shops, and that's about it. it's not a very exciting town, but then again, when was the last time any family-friendly place was exciting?

if mendham doesn't satisfy you, you could also try the neighboring chester. they have three times the number of shopping centers we do, and more big name stores. Mendham doesn't allow any franchizes in town, like Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, or Wendy's. all of those are in Chester. the two downtown areas are also very similar, with the old colonial style buildings.

some other towns I know of that are family-friendly, are Florham Park and Bridgewater. I used to live in Bridgewater, its a very large town, so there's a mix of friendly people and not so friendly people. it really just matters which side of town you live on and what road you live on. my neighborhood was very friendly when we lived there. anywhere north of Route 22 is fine, usually. that's where most of the whites live. whereas south of 22, you border towns like Somerville, Manville, Bound Book, etc. more urban/blue collar towns. the southside of bridgewater is where the minorities live. even before the large influx of minorities (which has only been recent, like since 2004) the southside of town was always a bit edgy. the north side is clearly nicer.
$$$$ Caching, caching! Very expensive area.. will need to know what the OP's budget is.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
$$$$ Caching, caching! Very expensive area.. will need to know what the OP's budget is.
oh yeah you're right... Mendham is ridiculously expensive. as well as Chester. but no doubt, they are excellent family friendly towns.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:39 AM

18 posts, read 56,990 times
Oakland, Wyckoff, Franklin Lakes, Mahwah, Allendale, Ramsey....all very nice (can be pricey but really great towns!!!!!!)

If You want more details email me...

Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 AM

we can all make the conclusion that family-friendly towns are very pricey $$$

Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,357,136 times
I recommend Metuchen.

New Jersey Transit - Home

Metuchen Chamber of Commerce

Metuchen-Edison-Woodbridge YMCA

Old 02-22-2009, 09:23 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,277,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin to NJ View Post
Is it a commute to work, and if so, where in NYC ?

What is your budget ? NJ is expen$ive.

How old are the bike-riding kids ?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:29 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,277,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
my town is very family friendly. Mendham.
Quote:
some other towns I know of that are family-friendly, are Florham Park and Bridgewater.
These look like a little more than an hour end to end. Florham park might come close, depending on what part of NYC. My co-worker from Short Hills takes about 1hr 15min end to end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey