Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:57 AM

4 posts, read 33,760 times

Advertisements

Is there a tax for sale of home in NJ due if you are relocating to another state? People are saying that before McGreevey left he put a 20% tax in effect if you sell your property to relocate to another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 10:14 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Yes, there IS a tax. Why would there not be?

Old 07-29-2007, 11:18 AM

161 posts, read 559,053 times
No. There is no "exit tax" penalizing you if you move out of state. There is a transfer tax which both the buyer and seller pay. There are tax implications depending on whether or not you are exempt from capital gains, and whether or not the home you sell is your primary or secondary home.

It was discussed at length here:
NJ Exit Tax?

NJ is not the only state with a transfer tax. Those who are fleeing en masse to NC should be aware that some counties here are also instituting a transfer tax on real estate.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:43 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
actually there is a tax if you sell your home and move out of state. i dont remember the percentage now, but it happens only if your home sells for
$500k or more...

Old 07-29-2007, 03:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Default Realty Transfer Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
actually there is a tax if you sell your home and move out of state. i dont remember the percentage now, but it happens only if your home sells for
$500k or more...
There is a realty transfer fee which both buyer and seller have to pay (many states also have this fee). It is not an exit tax. If you worked in NJ and file a tax return that year even though you move to another state, you will not have to pay the "exit" tax. I have no knowledge of the $500K additional tax. You might be referring to the tax you have to pay on capital gains if you have not lived in the house for more than a specific number of year. There is an exemption for $500K, married, if you lived in the house for I believe two years.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
$500k or more...
You are talking about capital gains. If you live in your home for less than two of the five years before you sell, and if your profit on the sale is greater than $500K (married) or $250K (single), then yes you are taxed. That has absolutely zero to do with moving out of state. You could move into a house down the street and you would still have to pay that tax!

Different rules apply for investment properties and second homes.

The amount taxed is on profit, not selling price.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:05 PM

OK-I understand there is tax to pay--but I was told over and above the norm if you move out of state.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a jersey girl View Post
OK-I understand there is tax to pay--but I was told over and above the norm if you move out of state.
I sold my home and moved out of state last year, and did not pay any extra taxes to do it. I am actually moving back into the state, and don't expect to pay a tax for my return either... unless of course NJ has set up some sort of border patrol since I left!

Old 07-29-2007, 04:09 PM

Thank you for your response. I am planning to move to NC can you tell me is Randolph County one of those counties.
Thanks again

Old 07-29-2007, 04:17 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Default State of NJ Realty Transfer Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a jersey girl View Post
Is there a tax for sale of home in NJ due if you are relocating to another state? People are saying that before McGreevey left he put a 20% tax in effect if you sell your property to relocate to another state.
Here is link which should give your all the details

NJ Div. of Taxation - NJ Realty Transfer Fees FAQs (http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/lpt/rtffaqs.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey