Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:56 PM

607 posts, read 958,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
that being said...what point is it for NJ to have this law? while skiing down the sand at the beach?
No - but there are four ski resorts in northern NJ:

SkiCentral - New Jersey Ski Resorts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 05:18 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
i'm ok with you not wearing a helmet on a motorcyle if you'll sign a waiver that if i hit you in a car accident, my insurance doesn't cover a dime of your head injuries.

see where land of the free really gets you?

this tunnel-vision approach to use of a helmet is stupidity at it's highest. Pennslyvania eliminated the motorcycle helmet law. i know too many people who work in ERs to not wear a helmet on a motorcycle. pure stupidity. and being free to not wear a helmet doesn't put you in a bubble, because other people share in the cost if you get hurt, whether you like it or not, that's true.
Well what about the beach than. Surfers, boogie boarders, swimming with no vest on. What about walking in the street, I could go on and on. My point is where does it stop, how many laws do we need. U could make 100's of laws in the interest of protecting people. Do u think this law is going to be enforced when people have to wait for many other requests for police service. I'm not saying it's a bad law, all I'm saying is when does govt. stop controlling peoples lives.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:54 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
I dont have a problem with adults not wearing a helmet, but I damn sure make my kids wear one. Adults are old enough to make that choice, but kids are not. There are a lot of people out there that aren't fit to take care of a cat, much less a child, and no child should lose their life because they have stupid parents. I am as libertarian as you can get, so I dont think there should be helmet or even seat belt laws for adults. The government should not make laws to "save us from ourselves", but I certainly have no problem with the government saving children from stupid parents.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:04 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
that being said...what point is it for NJ to have this law? while skiing down the sand at the beach?
Ever heard of Mountain Creek? It certainly isn't Aspen or Copper Mountain, but it's very busy during the winter. Great place to learn how to ski or snowboard.

I wear a helmet while skiing or riding a bike because it is stupid not to. Other people should have the choice to be stupid or not. No need for the government to get involved. With that said, I'm not opposed to this law since it only applies to minors.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:50 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
No - but there are four ski resorts in northern NJ:

SkiCentral - New Jersey Ski Resorts
with the use of the word "resorts" loosely...

Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Well what about the beach than. Surfers, boogie boarders, swimming with no vest on. What about walking in the street, I could go on and on. My point is where does it stop, how many laws do we need. U could make 100's of laws in the interest of protecting people. Do u think this law is going to be enforced when people have to wait for many other requests for police service. I'm not saying it's a bad law, all I'm saying is when does govt. stop controlling peoples lives.
i'd assume enforcement is relatively easy. to ski somewhere, you have to purchase a lift ticket. to get to the top of the slopes, you have to ride the lift. this is the dumbest argument i've ever heard. it's like saying "how could we ever enforce bars only serving 21 year old people".

this is simple. it reduces injuries, which reduces unnecessary costs on the health care system. there are zero losers in this case.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I dont have a problem with adults not wearing a helmet, but I damn sure make my kids wear one. Adults are old enough to make that choice, but kids are not. There are a lot of people out there that aren't fit to take care of a cat, much less a child, and no child should lose their life because they have stupid parents. I am as libertarian as you can get, so I dont think there should be helmet or even seat belt laws for adults. The government should not make laws to "save us from ourselves", but I certainly have no problem with the government saving children from stupid parents.
i think this is a pretty solid stance. i don't agree with 100% of what you said, and that's ok, but your point makes sense. to the helmet and seat belt laws for adults, i only say what i said before...as long as you're willing to sign documents saying you won't sue anyone if you get hurt and my insurance doesn't have to pay for any of your medical injuries if you're not wearing a seatbelt or helmet...by all means...

Old 04-13-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Ever heard of Mountain Creek? It certainly isn't Aspen or Copper Mountain, but it's very busy during the winter. Great place to learn how to ski or snowboard.

I wear a helmet while skiing or riding a bike because it is stupid not to. Other people should have the choice to be stupid or not. No need for the government to get involved. With that said, I'm not opposed to this law since it only applies to minors.
sorry i was being sarcastic. didn't realize it would fly that far over everyone's heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: