Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 11:09 AM

22 posts, read 61,136 times

Advertisements

What has been the trend? 3 year view and last 6-12 months kind of trend? About to put an offer on a place listed for $250K, wondering that would be the magic number. I know it all depends on how motivated the seller is, the precise location/block, etc. etc., but I'm looking for some high level stats to get an idea of how low I should/can go. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,657,325 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Montclair and Morristown totally different counties.

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 06:53 AM..

Old 04-23-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post

Montclair and Morristown are in two totally different counties.
^ yes, of course I realize that.

Thanks for the links, will check 'em out.

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 06:53 AM..

Old 04-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Nope, doesn't really show what I'm looking for. The link shows median list price and their movements (# of price cuts) and inventory data.

I'm more interested in actual sales (and how the sales price compare to list price). When I bought in boston 3 yrs ago, I had my agent pull comps for the area and created a spreadsheet myself to show list vs. transaction price. At that time, most places were going for ~ 5% below ask.

I could do that again, but was hoping someone else had done something similar lately... (yeah.. I'm gettin' lazy!)

Old 04-23-2011, 11:54 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB M View Post
Nope, doesn't really show what I'm looking for. The link shows median list price and their movements (# of price cuts) and inventory data.

I'm more interested in actual sales (and how the sales price compare to list price). When I bought in boston 3 yrs ago, I had my agent pull comps for the area and created a spreadsheet myself to show list vs. transaction price. At that time, most places were going for ~ 5% below ask.

I could do that again, but was hoping someone else had done something similar lately... (yeah.. I'm gettin' lazy!)
Why not just offer what it is worth to you?

From what I see in my town, people aren't getting their lowballs accepted. Sellers have to get there themselves.

I'm just guessing based on rough numbers I've been seeing, but a 5% lower than ask offer has a good shot, 10% could be a starting point but would be considered a lowball.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:36 PM

What its worth to me is irrelevant in a way. Whats more relevant is what it's worth to the market (now, and a few yrs down the road when I am renting or selling it).

Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 AM

777 posts, read 2,379,526 times
In the past 6 months, Montclair's listings are closing at 95% of the list price. In previous years, listings were selling very close to list price.

In Morristown, 96% of the list price. List to sold price varied in previous years from 93 to 97%.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:33 AM

168 posts, read 417,299 times
Unless it is urgent to sell, there is no reason sellers would accept a lowball offer, say less than 15%. Instead they can lower the asking price 10% and increase their chances for an offer. That's why the selling price is usually within 95% of asking-after one or more price cuts!

The person above was right. The best way to get a house for much less`is wait for them to lower their price. Prices are going down so just wait.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:54 AM

777 posts, read 2,379,526 times
True, the sold to list price ratio doesn't reflect any prior price reductions, only the last reduction.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
True, the sold to list price ratio doesn't reflect any prior price reductions, only the last reduction.
that's why I am looking at both SP as % of LP and SP as a % of OLP. For the areas I'm lokking at, the SP as a % of OLP looks shocking.. quite a few are in the 80% range.

Thanks for the stats above, helpful to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey