Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:40 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am from the UK and my husband will be interviewing for a job with Roche in Nutley next week and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any family friendly areas to look at?

We will look at renting initially but then possibly buying. Our house in the UK is worth around £600 and I think that roughly translates as 950K US dollars so I'm looking at that as a guideline top price.

We have 3 children aged 9,7 and 5 so would be looking for a 4 bed single family home, ideally something Victorian or Colonial and near to good public schools in a safe area.

I'd really like something with a community feel as I like to get to know my neighbors. It would be nice to have other families around.

The commute would need to be reasonable - say 30 minutes.

Thanks in advance for this. We are considering 2 other states as possibilities and don't have a huge amount of time to make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 07:14 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Not sure of the commuting time, probably a bit more than 30 minutes but Ridgewood is one of the best towns in northern NJ. Montclair, Cedar Grove, the Caldwells, Verona in western Essex County also worth a look.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:56 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
so is Glen Ridge, ideal commute, but be warned about property taxes.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Thanks for the information. Ridgewood looks great. I have already found my ideal property online there! 4 bed Victorian at what looks like a great price in a great location. Obviously this one will be gone by the time we get out there but at least I have an idea of what is on offer. I really hope he gets the job now!

Could you possibly tell me a bit more about property taxes and what this means? Neither of us can really gauge what the cost of living is like out there and how much you are taxed for various things. We tried to look into it but it looks like a minefield so we are just using our best guess.

Thank you.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 PM

234 posts, read 940,044 times
Kentmum -

Please take a look at the item that I posted to a different thread in this forum just yesterday: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...nutley-nj.html

Cambridge Heights is in the town of Nutley, and is not far from the Roche plant.

I think that it might be worth looking at.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:39 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
Thanks for the information. Ridgewood looks great. I have already found my ideal property online there! 4 bed Victorian at what looks like a great price in a great location. Obviously this one will be gone by the time we get out there but at least I have an idea of what is on offer. I really hope he gets the job now!

Could you possibly tell me a bit more about property taxes and what this means? Neither of us can really gauge what the cost of living is like out there and how much you are taxed for various things. We tried to look into it but it looks like a minefield so we are just using our best guess.

Thank you.
Montclair & Ridgewood have REALLY high property taxes. For something in the $800-900K range I bet they could run $25-30K/year or higher.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:34 PM

387 posts, read 616,518 times
The OP is looking for a single family 4 bed house. Cambridge Heights has townhomes. Though the few bigger ones have an extra bed they are still stacked close to each other. I guess a single family home would mean more space and more fun as compared to a townhome imo.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:13 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
NJ is made up of various counties and within those counties are towns and/or townships.
New Jersey County Map - NJ Counties - Map of New Jersey

Each town has a different formula for property taxes. These property taxes support the town, services you receive and schools. So every homeowner pays property tax on a yearly basis based on the assessed value of their home. Nutley, which is in Essex County, is considered a very highly taxed town.
Essex County, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A couple of years ago a friend lived in Cambridge townhouses and was paying $7,000 US and told me the houses were taxed at $11,000 US. To give you some idea of the difference, I owned a townhouse in Whippany NJ, which was quite larger than those at Cambridge and our taxes were $5,000 US. Whippany is in Morris County. We used to work near Cambridge Heights and the drive was 40 minutes in normal traffic from Whippany.

Best of luck.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:15 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post
The OP is looking for a single family 4 bed house. Cambridge Heights has townhomes. Though the few bigger ones have an extra bed they are still stacked close to each other. I guess a single family home would mean more space and more fun as compared to a townhome imo.
Cambridge Heights also has houses, although not very big. The townhouses are not very wide and rooms were small.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:43 PM

234 posts, read 940,044 times
A townhouse isn't a house?

That's news to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey