Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:56 AM

431 posts, read 942,672 times

Advertisements

New Jersey ranks as fourth most expensive state in which to live | lehighvalleylive.com

Maybe its time to pull one of these as the new way to survive in NJ: Carter: Landlords say Newark man refuses to pay rent, trashes apartments, then ties them up in court | NJ.com
Carter: Landlords say Newark man refuses to pay rent, trashes apartments, then ties them up in court
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 AM

431 posts, read 942,672 times
Wow why did I go to college?!?!? I should of moved to PA and worked at the post office

Pennsylvanians fare much better than New Jerseyans with a two-bedroom apartment’s fair market rent running $837 and a housing wage of $16.09. A household must earn $2,790 monthly, or $33,476 annually, to avoid paying more than 30 percent of their income on housing.
A minimum-wage worker would have to work 89 hours a week all year to afford a two-bedroom apartment at the fair market rate.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:20 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
even more mind blowing is they want to do local sale tax, and income tax on a local level in NJ!! So get ready!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
even more mind blowing is they want to do local sale tax, and income tax on a local level in NJ!! So get ready!
I can't even imagine.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Wow why did I go to college?!?!? I should of moved to PA and worked at the post office

Pennsylvanians fare much better than New Jerseyans with a two-bedroom apartment’s fair market rent running $837 and a housing wage of $16.09. A household must earn $2,790 monthly, or $33,476 annually, to avoid paying more than 30 percent of their income on housing.
A minimum-wage worker would have to work 89 hours a week all year to afford a two-bedroom apartment at the fair market rate.
but what jobs in NJ pay minimum wage? a cashier at wal-mart in kearny NJ makes $9/hr to start. not saying they are living large, but i'd wonder how many jobs pay just minimum wage.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
but what jobs in NJ pay minimum wage? a cashier at wal-mart in kearny NJ makes $9/hr to start. not saying they are living large, but i'd wonder how many jobs pay just minimum wage.
I was thinking the same thing. The article seemed to use federal minimum wage as the guideline for determining their figures without basing it on real incomes in NJ. Sure, it is more expensive to live here, but wages are also higher, something the article failed to take into account. For instance, while NJ ranks as the 4th highest state on their list, it is also the 2nd highest average income nationally.

They go on to list Hawaii, California, Maryland and D.C. as all being higher on their list than NJ. More troubling is that those states average income rank; 7th, 9th and tied for 8th respectively.

Basically, I think their method is flawed and was basically a "research" cover piece to argue that we need more affordable housing and need to allocate more money to that purpose.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The article seemed to use federal minimum wage as the guideline for determining their figures without basing it on real incomes in NJ. Sure, it is more expensive to live here, but wages are also higher, something the article failed to take into account. For instance, while NJ ranks as the 4th highest state on their list, it is also the 2nd highest average income nationally.

They go on to list Hawaii, California, Maryland and D.C. as all being higher on their list than NJ. More troubling is that those states average income rank; 7th, 9th and tied for 8th respectively.

Basically, I think their method is flawed and was basically a "research" cover piece to argue that we need more affordable housing and need to allocate more money to that purpose.
and why does someone making minimum wage need to afford the median rent? wouldn't that just make median rent higher? to look at the lowest income earners, and say they would struggle to afford median rent is possibly one of the dumbest conclusions i've seen in any study.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:42 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,636 times
umm. Doesnt this mean NJ is the 5TH most expensive?

The states of Hawaii, California and Maryland and Washington, D.C., outrank New Jersey in cost of living, according to the Out of Reach 2011 report.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
umm. Doesnt this mean NJ is the 5TH most expensive?

The states of Hawaii, California and Maryland and Washington, D.C., outrank New Jersey in cost of living, according to the Out of Reach 2011 report.
D.C. isn't a state....

Old 05-16-2011, 12:42 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
D.C. isn't a state....
It should be a state , Congress is always short changing DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey