Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 11:16 AM

17 posts, read 36,123 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a house in one of these areas. Can you tell me more about these towns, please. I have a 2 year old so school system is a big plus as we are looking to stay in this house for more than 5 years.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:06 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springb2b View Post
I am looking to buy a house in one of these areas. Can you tell me more about these towns, please. I have a 2 year old so school system is a big plus as we are looking to stay in this house for more than 5 years.

Thanks for your help.

You have the towns listed in the right order. Hillsdale is the nicest, with the best schools, and it's near a lot of wealthy towns. It's also the most expensive. Fair Lawn is a step down from Hillsdale. Fair Lawn is one of Bergen County's bigger towns, and the areas of the town vary quite a bit. The sections of town that border the wealthier towns, like Glen Rock and Paramus, are nicer and fancier than the sections of town that border the more working class towns, like Elmwood Park or Saddle Brook. The schools are very good, and the town is fairly affordable (by Bergen County standards anyway) given the quality of its school system. Saddle Brook borders Fair Lawn, and is a few steps down from Fair Lawn. It's a nice looking town for the most part, but the schools are average, and the high school especially has had its share of problems over the years.

If you can afford it, I'd stick to Hillsdale and Fair Lawn, especially if schools are a factor. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:44 PM

777 posts, read 2,379,770 times
Totally agree with Zhelder. Hillsdale will also be the most expensive, depending on what section you buy in.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times
I don't know enough about Hillsdale to give much insight, but personally, I would rather live in Saddle Brook then Fair Lawn.

You can get a nicer property in Saddle brook then Fair Lawn for the same price. Schools in Saddle Brook are not bad. slight differential in "school rankings" does not mean much of anything in my opinion. I went to a small HS where I knew everyone, and really liked it. Think I would rather have my kids go to a small school with 100-125 kids in their grade where they know everyone then with 400 in the same grade. Even if the "ranking" is slightly lower or they don't have as many extracurriculars or honors classes.

I also like Saddle Brooks location a lot. Highway access is top notch

My two cents.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:33 AM

777 posts, read 2,379,770 times
There is more than a slight differential in school rankings between Fair Lawn and Saddle Brook. Saddle Brook was almost 100 slots lower on the NJ Monthly High School Rankings.

Fair Lawn High School was also recently named one of the top 1000 high schools in the United States by Newsweek.
America's Best High Schools - Newsweek

Old 07-19-2011, 06:24 PM

728 posts, read 1,964,929 times
Obviously Hillsdale is the nicest of the three. Saddle Brook is a good town but Fair Lawn is much nicer overall as a whole. Again, nothing against Saddle Brook I would live there but if given a choice Id take Fair Lawn over it any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey