Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:22 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
As a buyers price point increases, expectations do as well, and often times the relationship is not linear, at least at first. the buyer thinks to herself, I have over $1M to spend, I should be able to find "the perfect house".

the fact that no such house exists can initially lead to frustration, until such time as the buyer realizes that compromises must be made, regardless of how much you have to spend. as a rational buyer becomes more familiar with the market in a particular town, expectations should gradually fall back in line with price.

IMO, the post above me comes off as nothing but sheer jealousy, though i can't say it's surprising. the OP certainly could have chosen his/her words more carefully in conveying his/her initial thoughts.
i don't see it as jealousy at all. ignorance of house hunting doesn't exist at certain price points, it exists at all of them. the perfect house doesn't exist, plain and simple.

we're not jealous of the OP because we think she isn't that bright of a house hunter. sure, expectations are high at the million dollar price point..as they should be. but hers appear to be illogically high, given the wording she chose. and it's quite offensive to those of us who spent a pathetic half a million dollars on a house that must be a **** shack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 04:07 PM

107 posts, read 221,181 times
It's not jealousy, but rather being flabbergasted if the person is serious.

It's rather analogous to someone saying, "My wife and I went to Manhattan. We had $300 to spend on dinner. We like Italian food. We could not find ONE decent restaurant! There were hardly any choices, and the few we found were tacky and/or seemed seedy/filthy for that price."

I could spend $300 on a meal. So I'd not be jealous that they can spend $300 on a meal. But it should seem incredible that two apparently successful adults (otherwise how can they afford $300 on a meal?) would not be able to find a decent Italian restaurant in Manhattan that's in their budget. It should suggest that there's something wrong with them. Any reasonably intelligent person could easily find a decent Italian restaurant in Manhattan, and without having to spend nearly that much.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:15 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Monty I am very much enjoying your posts....

Old 09-13-2011, 06:49 PM

$300 for italian food? holy crap! lol

yes, very well illustrated

Old 09-13-2011, 09:55 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i don't see it as jealousy at all. ignorance of house hunting doesn't exist at certain price points, it exists at all of them. the perfect house doesn't exist, plain and simple.

we're not jealous of the OP because we think she isn't that bright of a house hunter. sure, expectations are high at the million dollar price point..as they should be. but hers appear to be illogically high, given the wording she chose. and it's quite offensive to those of us who spent a pathetic half a million dollars on a house that must be a **** shack.
I must be in a third-world country, in that case. I live in a $180K, two bedroom, one bath condo. And I love my place.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I must be in a third-world country, in that case. I live in a $180K, two bedroom, one bath condo. And I love my place.
oh the humanity! how do you survive? do you have to bring buckets of water for your bath?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:45 PM

136 posts, read 240,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLaSalle View Post

It's rather analogous to someone saying, "My wife and I went to Manhattan. We had $300 to spend on dinner. We like Italian food. We could not find ONE decent restaurant! There were hardly any choices, and the few we found were tacky and/or seemed seedy/filthy for that price."

I could spend $300 on a meal. So I'd not be jealous that they can spend $300 on a meal. But it should seem incredible that two apparently successful adults (otherwise how can they afford $300 on a meal?) would not be able to find a decent Italian restaurant in Manhattan that's in their budget. It should suggest that there's something wrong with them. Any reasonably intelligent person could easily find a decent Italian restaurant in Manhattan, and without having to spend nearly that much.
Love it! Great comparison. Who am I kidding? I am jealous of both the OP's price point and the $300 Italian dinner. Our evening out consists of pizza (plain that is), so that I can save my nickels and dimes for the dream house in WF.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLaSalle View Post

Il Mulino in the West Village is excellent.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Il Mulino in the West Village is excellent.
Agreed. Although, I'd go to Max or Frank in the East Village, spend $75 on dinner for 2 and the remaining on some great wine

Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 AM

667 posts, read 1,744,802 times
not to get too off topic but the family just tried the Bar Pie at Nellies in good ole' Waldwick and wow...really delicious and @ $8.00 even better! Only Mario's on Arthur Ave has a better pie...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey