Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 8,383 times

Advertisements

After spending a large portion of the last five summers (and substantial time in the off-season) vacationing in Cape May, my husband and I have decided to relocate from suburban Philadelphia to South Jersey. He's accepted a position in Ocean City and I am a full-time home-based editor, so we are all set with employment. We have two kids, 7 and 4, and while initially we thought we would rent (and eventually buy) in Cape May -- our dream town -- I'm suddenly feeling a little nervous about the elementary school options, as well as (someday) the high school there. The rankings are just not very good. But I hate to go off numbers alone -- does anyone here have any first-hand input on the Cape May schools? Do the numbers not tell the whole story?

A relative suggested we look into Linwood and I see that it has received a lot of positive feedback here. Schools seem great, we can afford to buy there, but I'm kind of stuck on it not being on the beach because we are beach people. When we decided to make the move to South Jersey it was with the goal of being in a beach town, of being able to walk to the beach with our kids. So what beach would someone living in Linwood use? Margate? Ocean City? Is it a five minute drive? 15 minutes?

I know it's kind of a vain point (and a nice problem to have) but if we're going to uproot our family we want to make sure we're a) going to wind up in a place we love but b) not at the expense of our kids.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 01:53 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Come to Ocean City, we have great schools!

Old 08-28-2011, 02:04 PM

I would, but what is OC like in the off-season? Are there certain areas that are more heavily populated with year-round residents? That's one of the reasons we like Cape May...I know it's nothing like it is in the summer, but when we've been in the winter there are still people out and about. The whole ghost town thing depresses me. Hahaha. Is OC still alive in January?

Old 08-28-2011, 02:31 PM

The south end is deserted in the off season (about 30th street south) except around the 50's, where there is a year-round neighborhood near the bay. I'm close to downtown (approximately 14th to 3rd) and there are a good number of year round residents. The downtown stores and restaurants are open year round and many boardwalk stores stay open through Christmas, with several staying open year round. Mack and Manco's at 9th and the boards is open year round and they deliver! OC wants people down year round and has more and more activities scheduled in the off-season (I think February is the only month where nothing is happening) First Night, the NYE celebration, draws thousands and is great fun!

The Gardens, a very large section closer to the Longport bridge, is almost exclusively year-round, single-family homes (but expensive).
As long as you stay central or north, you will find a decent amount of people in the off-season. This is actually a great time to look for a winter rental, they go from October (sometimes September) to May and are a relatively inexpensive way to try it on, so to speak. There are TONS of them.

I am a beach girl, but have come to truly cherish the off-season, it is pretty special IMO.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-28-2011 at 02:41 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 02:52 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,760 times
I would also recommend Ocean City if your husband is working in Ocean City. You're looking at a 30-40 minute commute from Cape May to Ocean City, depending on where his office is, and Ocean City is wonderful for families.

I will be honest - I lived in Somers Point for a while and while Ocean City does get "quiet" in the winter, it's nothing like the desolation of the Wildwoods and further south once the fall and winter begin.

If your kids schooling is important, Ocean City is the best combination. You can still visit Cape May on a regular basis, you know?

Old 08-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Great information. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. And I should say, it's not that the peace and quiet depresses me -- I think it would be amazing. It's the thought of my incredibly bored kids that I find depressing. Hahaha.

We have found a lot of winter rentals in OC but it just won't work for us, as our 7-year-old will still be wrapping up second grade when these rentals would be kicking us out. So I need a yearly, and on that front we seem to be striking out in OC. I'll keep looking though

Old 08-28-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplemissy View Post
Great information. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. And I should say, it's not that the peace and quiet depresses me -- I think it would be amazing. It's the thought of my incredibly bored kids that I find depressing. Hahaha.

We have found a lot of winter rentals in OC but it just won't work for us, as our 7-year-old will still be wrapping up second grade when these rentals would be kicking us out. So I need a yearly, and on that front we seem to be striking out in OC. I'll keep looking though
May I suggest Somers Point as a possibility? Or perhaps reaching out to the landlords and negotiating a pro-rated yearly lease. Basically, you can suggest this:

1) You want to rent the house from September 1 to June 30.

You will cover the "summer costs" of renting in September and June of the course of the entire lease. I.E. if he charges 1000K a week in June, you'll spread out those costs as a higher rent payment throughout the course of the lease.

For example:

If the typical Winter lease is 2K a month, and then he charges 4K a month in June, see if you can spread that extra 2K out over the course of the lease, offering to pay 2200 a month (or however it breaks down, I'm not sure if winter leases run Sept-May or Oct-May or how they work)

You see what I'm saying? You offer the landlord a higher rate for him to let you stay through June.

It's real estate. It's a soft market. EVERYTHING is negotiable.

There's also Somers Point, which is nice, and still gives you a "beachy" feel.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:21 PM

Another suggestion/idea which might be the best of both worlds:

Your husband works in OC.

You want to summer in Cape May.

Rent in Ocean City for the Winter

Rent in Cape May for the Summer

Since your husband is commuting to Ocean City anyway, he can take your kids up with him and drop them off at school in September and June.

Maintain an Ocean City PO Box for a stationary address and you're set.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Another suggestion/idea which might be the best of both worlds:

Your husband works in OC.

You want to summer in Cape May.

Rent in Ocean City for the Winter

Rent in Cape May for the Summer

Since your husband is commuting to Ocean City anyway, he can take your kids up with him and drop them off at school in September and June.

Maintain an Ocean City PO Box for a stationary address and you're set.
It might get tiresome to repack and move an entire household twice a year, and the kids wouldn't see their school friends all summer. I don't think your kids will be bored. There are lots of kids here year round and Hamilton Mall, bowling alleys, skating rinks, movie theaters and all the normal suburban type things are all within 20 minutes. There is also a skateboard park at 5th and the boardwalk, and several playgrounds. Where are you looking for yearly rentals? Check the Press of AC and the OC Sentinel Ledger. Don't skip realtors as I got my yearly rental through one and the owner hadn't advertised in any of the papers.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:32 PM

Yes, we're adventurous but not THAT adventurous. Hahaha. We haven't moved in a decade, so moving twice/year for multiple years would be pushing it. I'll start calling some realtors tomorrow to see if they know of any properties that might work, although I don't know how much work they'll be doing this week with all the cleanup from the storm. Thanks all for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey