Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 03:13 PM

6 posts, read 17,467 times

Advertisements

Moving from fl to nj..i have a 1st grader w asperger and a 10th grader ....i fell in love with little silver but can't afford it..i found some great homes in toms river but school grades don't look too good cancer cluster thing scares the bejesus outta me..so any info on that would be appreciated..was told wayne is nice not sure..colts neck and liked some homes in sparta.i know i'm all over the place but want to find a great place to settle moved to florida from brooklyn and cannot do that again..any info would be much appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 03:28 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,870 times
You can't afford little silver but you want to look in Colts Neck?

I'd avoid TR. It's too big a district, too many issues.

If you're looking in Monmouth/Ocean County, what about Jackson?

I think you need to focus on the exact area you want to look in and then try again. You're offering up towns in Central and Northern NJ, which are two really far ends of the spectrum. If you want good public schooling for your kids, there's gonna be a premium.

To be honest, if you're unsure, why not try renting instead of buying?

Old 08-28-2011, 04:06 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,899,561 times
The best public schools are at a premium but in general there are a lot of good public schools in NJ.

Toms River is big and the school system is ok. I have a friend whose son is on the spectrum and is mainstreamed in TR. She is a teacher and she has been very happy. She also likes the proximity to a stable where her son rides horses for therapy and says it has been amazing for him (he's 9 now). I also live in TR and think that there is a lot of value for your money. I like the proximity to the beach and the people are very friendly but you will find a larger more professional group of people more north of here.

If you want to know about the TR cancer cluster look at some of the threads on here if you haven't already done so.

If you post more detailed info regarding your budget and "wish list" people on her may be able to offer some better guidance.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:20 AM

133 posts, read 502,827 times
Colts Neck is NOT as pricey as Little Silver/Rumson. (IMO). Prices have gone way down. You can get into Colts Neck and get a decent home around 500K. But then again "decent" depends on who you are talking to!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,604,006 times
Default How about waretown.....

we are selling our colonial home 4-5 bdrms with an in law apt......on 1/2 acre...taxes 6k.......asking 330,000.00.........we have lived here for 20 years and it's a great place to raise kids......

Old 09-01-2011, 12:09 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,026,502 times
Quite a broad radius you are looking within.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:52 PM

391 posts, read 1,476,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliana View Post
Colts Neck is NOT as pricey as Little Silver/Rumson. (IMO). Prices have gone way down. You can get into Colts Neck and get a decent home around 500K. But then again "decent" depends on who you are talking to!!!
agreed that CN is not as pricey as little silver or rumson. at 500k though, i think you're going to be limited to something in the Grand development, or something that needs a bit of work. i think there are listing less then 500k in the Grand.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:55 PM

133 posts, read 502,827 times
Yes, that is what I was thinking when I posted...The Grand development in Colts Neck.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:50 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliana View Post
Yes, that is what I was thinking when I posted...The Grand development in Colts Neck.
Gee Bruce moved to Colts Neck recently...do you think that's where he lives?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,957 times
I would not put Little Silver and Rumson as interchangeable, they are not. Rumson is far more expensive and the schools are superior to Red Bank schools.
As for Colts Neck, there are a few less expensive subdivisions, but overall, more expensive than Little Silver.
I would not put Toms River in the same sentence as the other towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey