Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 34,670 times

Advertisements

Hi
We (me, hubby, 6 and 3 yr olds) are strongly considering moving to Colts Neck but I have 2 questions...

Is there any reason I should be worried about living near the Naval Weaspons Base? Are we at risk? Any health issues or safety issues I should think about?

I have read many articles about reasons NOT to live near a golf course...pesticides are so high, it is cancerous...thoughts on this? I am trying to figure out how far one needs to be to be safe?

What else csn you tell me about living in CN? What do you love? What do you hate? Please tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks
Stacey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:30 AM

7 posts, read 37,697 times
Grew up in Colts Neck and live there now. There is absolutely nothing to be concerned about regarding the naval base, hardly anything even goes on there any more and there's very few active duty personnel even there. Colts Neck has no municipal water, so everyone has well water. It's never been a problem for us, and the quality of the water is as good, if not better than anywhere else. You can test it and all that if you're concerned. I wouldn't be too concerned about the golf course/pesticides thing, unless you live directly on the course. I know people in town that live directly on the course and haven't heard of any issues regarding water. You should be more concerned about developments built on farms where pesticides used in the past remain in the soil. This isn't much of an issue in Colts Neck but could be in neighboring towns that've seen large scale "tract development." I love living in Colts Neck, it's without a doubt the best location in Monmouth County, central to everything. Close to all transportation, be it the train, bus, or parkway. Only 15 min to either Freehold Mall or Red Bank, yet only 20-25 min from beaches. Colts Neck has very strict zoning and ordinances, so you will never see the type of commercial development you see elsewhere along 35, 9, 18. Also, even many of the large parcels in Colts Neck can't be subdivided any further, and if so it's a matter of 2 or 3 houses getting built, not a dozen. There are no street lights which is very nice, most of the town is very, very quiet. You are far enough away from everything you don't want to be near, but still close enough to anything you want to be near.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey