Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:31 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times

Advertisements

Since generator installations was part of my business for more than 30 years I can offer some first hand advise.

If you have a well pump for your domestic water, a sump pump that runs occasionally. YOU NEED A BACKUP GENERATOR just for basic services.

A 4000 Watt Generator will run a well pump, sump pump, furnace fan, and a refrigerator plus a few lights.
Naturally bigger is better, it's your call.

You don't need an automatic start up generator unless you are totally clueless about mechanical things.
If you can start a lawnmower you can start a generator.

You need the generator, a manual transfer switch box (installed by a licensed electrician) ,and the wiring to connect the system.

I have been out of this for a while so I am not sure how much this could cost but a rough estimate would be anywhere from $2,000 to $3500 depending on the cost of the generator and how much work the electrician has to do to get the transfer sws. installed.

This is cheap insurance if you need it.

FYI I had a 3,500 watt Yahama (quiet generator) that ran the well, sump, refrigerator, kitchen, family room lgts.
TV and furnace fan.
It ran for 19 hrs. during Floyd. plus numerous short outage storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Thanks for posting. Does the "manual transfer switch box" allow you to plug directly into the house's wiring? I was using my car as a generator for my fridge, lights and a few other electronics (TVs, internet, laptops, etc) by just running heavy duty extension cords.... but would have liked to do the same without running extension cables.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Thanks for posting. Does the "manual transfer switch box" allow you to plug directly into the house's wiring? I was using my car as a generator for my fridge, lights and a few other electronics (TVs, internet, laptops, etc) by just running heavy duty extension cords.... but would have liked to do the same without running extension cables.
Quick answer, yes. The transfer switch isolates the circuit from the house panel just in case the normal power should suddenly come back on.

There are other ways to tie in a back up generator but the transfer switch is the most safe and also the only "approved method"

Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You don't need an automatic start up generator unless you are totally clueless about mechanical things.
If you can start a lawnmower you can start a generator.
I would actually disagree with this for a few reasons. If you are very dependent on sump pumps (my sumps run pretty regularly and were cycling about 15 minutes during the worst of the rainfall) automatic start can mean the difference between staying up all night waiting to see if and when the power goes out and going to bed with peace of mind. I woke up at 3:00 a.m. when the hard rains started because I knew that if I slept through an outage I'd wake up to a very wet basement. Not to mention if bad weather hits when you're away from home. That's my biggest fear right now and is why I'm planning on installing a propane powered system with an automatic transfer switch. I put too much work into my basement to have it ruined.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,926,167 times
I saw wide price range of generators from couple hundreds to thousands. What's the difference between cheap one and expensive one? Any recommandation for the mid range generator?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:51 AM

232 posts, read 612,930 times
Best ones have Honda motors, run forever.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
Best ones have Honda motors, run forever.
Once you get into the heavier duty range Kohler is a good choice as well.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Quick answer, yes. The transfer switch isolates the circuit from the house panel just in case the normal power should suddenly come back on.

There are other ways to tie in a back up generator but the transfer switch is the most safe and also the only "approved method"
Thanks, I'll have to look into that. I like the idea of being able to run my house off of my car if I need to.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:04 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
I saw wide price range of generators from couple hundreds to thousands. What's the difference between cheap one and expensive one? Any recommandation for the mid range generator?
I don't have a specific rec but our electrician friend said it's all about who makes the motor for the generator.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I would actually disagree with this for a few reasons. If you are very dependent on sump pumps (my sumps run pretty regularly and were cycling about 15 minutes during the worst of the rainfall) automatic start can mean the difference between staying up all night waiting to see if and when the power goes out and going to bed with peace of mind. I woke up at 3:00 a.m. when the hard rains started because I knew that if I slept through an outage I'd wake up to a very wet basement. Not to mention if bad weather hits when you're away from home. That's my biggest fear right now and is why I'm planning on installing a propane powered system with an automatic transfer switch. I put too much work into my basement to have it ruined.
In your case you are correct. But you have a bigger problem than an occasional power outage. I would address the water problem along with the back up generator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey