Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 05:47 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Gee...when I first read young AA woman, I thought "alcoholics anonymous"
LOL, so did I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,303 times
Thanks guys, im gonna go look in these towns over the next few weekends, except bloomfield, thats one of my border towns that I know well and i'm not interested, but thanks anyway.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I'm currently in Montclair. Black female, young, single.
I would like to find a town just like Montclair that is diverse and pretty safe, but cheaper. I can't afford anything nice in this town but i like it and feel comfortable and safe. Everything is a dump unless your budget is 2500+.

I simply can not move to a town where i'm the only minority, but i want to stay in the suburbs, no city. i want diversity

Where can I look?

Also I just started working in Manhattan, so I have to commute, Montclair is good for that, train and bus line in town, but no parking and everything is still overpriced. Is there any hope?

Thank you.
I consider Montclair to be a bit of a unique town, and I mean that in a very good way. Think about Ridgewood. If that turns out to be too expensive, or not feasible for some other reason, then nearby Ridgewood offers some alternatives -- maybe Ramsey. You say no city, so rule out Fort Lee, possibly even Edgewater. Think about Englewood.

That said, what is "AA" please? Thanks.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:34 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times
Got it. African American.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:29 AM

39 posts, read 135,668 times
I also assumed alcoholics anonymous...

Guess I am not hip on the cool abbreviations these days.

What do you mean you won't move where you are the only minority? What are the qualifications the area has to meet? I think you'll be OK in Montclair personally...

I am not sure what szize apt you are looking for..studio? 1br? You can find stuff under 2g's

Old 09-13-2011, 04:33 PM

I was born and raised in Montclair, it's all I know except for the 4yrs I spent away at college in Pennsylvania.

I don't want to come across as close-minded or racist, but I just feel very nervous and uncomfortable in towns that all predominently white. There are many towns near Montclair that are good but all white, it's just not for me. I don't like the stares and I work early and late, PT for the Star Ledger early in the morning and then FT in NYC until around 8pm, so i'm out in the dark a lot and I want to feel safe. I just think it's possible I could become a target if I moved to an area where blacks might not be welcome. Montclair is perfect for me, but unaffordable with my salaries, I just don't make enough money yet.

It's gonna be hard because I need a train or bus to NYC.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:44 PM

293 posts, read 720,087 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in Montclair, it's all I know except for the 4yrs I spent away at college in Pennsylvania.

I don't want to come across as close-minded or racist, but I just feel very nervous and uncomfortable in towns that all predominently white. There are many towns near Montclair that are good but all white, it's just not for me. I don't like the stares and I work early and late, PT for the Star Ledger early in the morning and then FT in NYC until around 8pm, so i'm out in the dark a lot and I want to feel safe. I just think it's possible I could become a target if I moved to an area where blacks might not be welcome. Montclair is perfect for me, but unaffordable with my salaries, I just don't make enough money yet.

Well, in that case the township of Woodbridge in Middlesex County would be perfect for you. It is a fairly diverse town "whatever that means" and transportation from Woodbridge into NYC is unbeatable. The good thing about Woodbridge is that you may take the #116 bus to NYC. Also, you have the option to take the Northeast or the North Jersey Coast Line trains. Woodbridge is nowhere near as expensive as Montclair, and it is stratetigically located.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:

Would you be a target in a town like Clifton or Bloomfield? I don't think so. They're both cheaper than Montclair and probably have similar crime rates

Old 09-14-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Would you be a target in a town like Clifton or Bloomfield? I don't think so. They're both cheaper than Montclair and probably have similar crime rates
But there cities, small cities, but still not suburban towns like Montclair. I know both very well and I wouldn't want to live in those places, everyone is crunched together and congested, too many people on top of each other.

Bloomfield for example is awful, people fight for parking on the street and even put garabage cans out in the street to hold their spots.

I will check out woodbridge, don't know much outside of Essex County.

I'm starting to think Montclair is a one of a kind type of town, maybe thats why it's sky high?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:02 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
I'm starting to think Montclair is a one of a kind type of town, maybe thats why it's sky high?
Yes.

Fake edit: to be less pithy and more informative, think about it this way: what other fairly evenly split white/black, progressive, well-educated, nice town with fast public transit into New York exists? Do most other cities even have an equivalent at all? It's not only unique, but the people who want to live in that atmosphere really want to live in that atmosphere and are well-off enough to afford to bid rents and property values up pretty darn high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey