Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 11:17 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a real world account of the commute from Plainfield to either the Trenton area or the Hopatcong area? As I've stated before those are the areas in which my fiancee and I currently work and we're trying to get a feel for what the daily traffic battle is like.

I am currently working in Princeton Junction, so Google maps routes me from West 7th Street to Washington Avenue to Route 1 for about 17 miles. This yields a total distance/time of 28.7 miles/51 minutes. My instinct tells me that most folks would be traveling north on Route 1 in the morning and that the bad traffic wouldn't begin until one passed Princeton and got closer to Trenton where the crush of state workers into the capital would be more concentrated. So, would it be fair to say that it would take a solid hour with normal morning/afternoon traffic? I need to be in by 9, so it wouldn't bother me to leave as early as 7:30 AM if it meant beating some of the traffic.

Now, my fiancee's commute to Hopatcong is a bit less intuitive for me since I have less of a grasp of those roads. Again, Google maps routes you on 78 East for 8 miles (I could see that being a parking lot), 24 West for 10 miles, 287 North for 4 miles, and 80 West for 15 miles. The last stretch on 80 I would imagine would be cake since most folks should be heading east in the morning right? The estimate given is 43.6 miles/57 minutes. So, a solid hour and 10 minutes with normal traffic? Of course I should also add that she needs to be at work by 6:45 AM regardless, so that may negate some of the normal morning rush.

So, any other Union County commuters have stories to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 11:00 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
Plainfied to Trenton during rush hour will take about 2 hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey