Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,328 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to NJ from CA. I will be working in Lakewood. Is the commute to/from Princeton reasonable? Suggestions for other communities? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
It's "doable" but your talking about an hour each way without any traffic. So that brings up the questions of why Princeton and do you feel like driving at least 2 hours each workday.

Princeton, NJ to Lakewood Township, NJ - Google Maps

Old 09-11-2011, 01:01 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,870 times
Jackson, Spring Lake, Sea Girt - all of these options pop up to me as possibilities.

Just not Lakewood itself. The town is getting a deserved bad rep because of crime issues.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the input and suggestions. Princeton was recommended, but I suspected it would be a long commute. I'm wiling to take on a 20-30 minute commute to live in a nice community. Our children are grown. We like to golf, cultural activities and nice restaurants. Any other suggestions are appreciated. I will be traveling there in a week to visit. Thanks again.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:27 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoats View Post
Thanks for the input and suggestions. Princeton was recommended, but I suspected it would be a long commute. I'm wiling to take on a 20-30 minute commute to live in a nice community. Our children are grown. We like to golf, cultural activities and nice restaurants. Any other suggestions are appreciated. I will be traveling there in a week to visit. Thanks again.
By chance if you're over 55 (at least one of you), there are a number of 55+ golf communities within a 15-20 minute drive to Lakewood.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 AM

We are. Is there a website to find them?

Old 09-11-2011, 05:48 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,157 times
Quote:
You'll have to google it but look in the town of Monroe, probably 50% retirement communities (luxury ones) and the preponderance of older people means that the school budget never passes and so taxes remain relatively low. Lots of golf and a reasonable commute to Lakewood.

Only downside would be that it is a bone fide suburb that requires a car rather than an actual town. Also, the restaurant scene isn't amazing and so you would have to drive to find good places. On the other hand, I've always found Princeton to be a bit of a letdown in the restaurant area and much prefer New Brunswick (which also has the State Theater) for nights out.
Some towns on the coast have good food too.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:19 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,953,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
You'll have to google it but look in the town of Monroe, probably 50% retirement communities (luxury ones) and the preponderance of older people means that the school budget never passes and so taxes remain relatively low. Lots of golf and a reasonable commute to Lakewood.

Only downside would be that it is a bone fide suburb that requires a car rather than an actual town. Also, the restaurant scene isn't amazing and so you would have to drive to find good places. On the other hand, I've always found Princeton to be a bit of a letdown in the restaurant area and much prefer New Brunswick (which also has the State Theater) for nights out.
Some towns on the coast have good food too.
monroe has a free bus to freehold from monroe

Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
Here you go...

55+ Housing - Active Adult Communities in NJ

Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM

445 posts, read 1,985,094 times
We live in Cream Ridge, NJ . Thats in Upper freehold, twp and Plumsted twp. Allentown, NJ is also in Upper freehold twp. There are two golf courses in the town. Its alot of farmland and low density population. New Egypt is nice as well and alot of farms too. Both are 25 minutes to Lakewood. Zip codes 08514, 08501 and 08533
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey