Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:26 PM

7 posts, read 17,065 times

Advertisements

A little over a week ago, a new cell phone tower was put up atop the Carlstadt water tower. I am actually a Wood Ridge resident, a fairly new one at that. It is much to my dismay that this new cell tower is smack in the middle of so many homes, not to mention the elementary school that it towers over. I visited Carlstadt's municipal building to try to get more information on the structure and who owns it and who put it up. All of this is a matter of public record. I was told that residents were notified and there were meetings held regarding the matter. I explained that I was a Wood Ridge resident and was not told anything. If I had been, I would have attended said meetings. I know this is a hot topic as the jury is still out on the long term effects of these cell towers on our health. There is no evidence that they have ill effects, but there is no evidence they do not either. I am by no means a radical on this issue. I am just getting tired of these things going up in such highly populated areas. This one in particular seems a bit large. At the moment, I am feeling uneasy about it's effects on my growing children. Until there is substantial proof that they are harmless, I believe it is my job as a parent to investigate this further.
I also find it strange that in all of my searching, I have found no one who shares my concern. This is not a debate on is it safe or is it unsafe. This is more a question of are there any other residents of Carlstadt, Wood Ridge or any of the other surrounding areas that shore my concern. I'm hoping that this post will create enough buzz to start a discussion on this issue. Again, please, this is not a debate, I would just like to hear from anyone who shares these concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 08:38 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
There's a public hearing done on just about every one of these - one usually at the town council meeting where the agreement/lease is signed between the municipality and the tower owner, then another at a planning/zoning board meeting to hammer out any complications as far as use or bulk variances required.

I can tell you from attending plenty of these meetings, there IS documented proof these towers are harmless. For what it's worth, there's more RF waves floating around your home as a result of your television, wireless internet hub, personal cell phone, satellite radio receiver and good old fashioned local radio stations than anything a cell tower could put out. So if you want to complain about the cell tower, you better also be ready to make WiFi, radio and television stations, satellite TV, GPS and anything else that receives a signal from anywhere just as prohibited.

Additionally, the people most likely to complain about these towers are the same people who would be screaming at a customer service person about poor cell phone reception had it not been for the tower. Nobody is ever satisfied.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:07 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,370 times
This is standard practice to look for existing structures on which to place cell antenna. It has already been done on the water tower here in South Brunswick and you can find cell towers throughout densely populated areas.

For more information on cell towers and concerns about cancer, I'd suggest reading this page from the American Cancer Society. As TheGambler noted, the towers and any emissions from them are harmless relative to all other ambient forms of radiation we come into contact with on a daily basis, throughout the day.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 AM

Thank you for your replies. TheGambler: Yes, there is proof that there are no immediate threats, but only time will tell what long term exposure will do. I am well read on the subject also and do see it from both sides. Yes, there were meetings about this but these meetings only included Carstadt residents. These towns sit on top of one another and I thought it unfair that no one else was informed. The water tower sits on the town line. And I am not "complaining", just merely raising a red flag and trying to start a discussion. I don't want to prohibit these things. I realize that in order to have use of the technology,we have to compromise but where does that stop? The irony is, this tower doesn't even give me a better signal, it is a different carrier and even if it did, I would still be asking questions. Runyyfan: yes I know this is standard practice. I also remember watching doctors advertise cigarettes. That also was standard. Standard shouldn't be automatically accepted as alright. Of course, I visited the American Cancer Society. My research is extensive and there is no evidence anywhere that there are no long term effects for the reason that the science has not existed long enough. In countries around the world, governments are putting very rigid restrictions on these things. And just to say, I have never screamed at anyone over bad cell service.
I tucked my child into bed last night and looked out their window at this thing with nothing blocking it, except a thin bedroom wall from my sleeping child. What parent would not give pause.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:35 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
I'm surprised the meeting where the tower was to be discussed wasn't covered in the local paper, which would have been seen by residents from the surrounding communities as well. If the tower was, indeed, within a distance a distance of residents of another town that required notice, they would have been notified.

It's also interesting to note that cross-town lawsuits are pretty common over stuff like this. There is a cell tower in Wall Township that was a subject of a lawsuit by people in Brielle who did not want it - however I believe that was more over aesthetics than safety. Likewise there were recent plans to improve/renovate a marina in Brick that was opposed by Wall Twp. residents for a number of reasons. Both were approved. But anyone can go to a public meeting, hire an attorney or even sue to stop something in another town. Despite our propensity towards cronyism, corruption, etc. a lot of stuff IS done in the open.

And not accusing you of being a kook or complainer - just these types of meetings tend to bring out some interesting characters opposing these things.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 AM

May I ask how is it that you have been to so many of these meetings? You seem very knowledgeable about these issues and I appreciate your posts. To be fair, I have only been in my home for a few months and am arriving late to this situation. I saw the list of the residents notified and will look into a possible announcement in the papers. I am not sure of what I am even trying to accomplish here. I just wish I had been aware of this coming earlier. I would just like to see if anyone else in this area shares my concerns.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:09 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,598 times
I'm in Wood Ridge also somewhat close to the Carlstadt border and I don't share your concern. I am also young and don't have kids so maybe I am naive but honestly you can't live life worrying about every little thing. I can point out things that will show you that the food you eat (unless you eat organic) is more harmful than seemingly this tower (I'm no expert).

Hopefully my phone reception will be better now.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:32 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
here is an article to consider Cellular Towers: At Watt Cost? Austin News - AustinChronicle.com

and http://www.rense.com/general56/rad.htm

the bigger worry is probably your cell phone, not the tower. you can chose when to use that. you do not necessarily chose if the tower is near your home. if they put up a tower right next to my home i would be upset though. i actually looked at a house next to a water tower and the RFR from the tower did not cross my mind but now I look I see 20 antennae on top.

How close is that water tower to where you live?

it is hard to find much info on these towers but my understanding is that they are relatively low wattage (30 watts?). However there are a lot of antennae...

Old 10-04-2010, 12:22 PM

Another thing to consider is how this changes your property value. Many buyers won't even look at homes close to these things. I am less than a quarter mile from it and it is in the line of sight from most rooms in my house.
...and yes, when you have children, you tend to worry about things more than you would for just yourself. And, not that this is relevant, but I do try to lead a healthy lifestyle for myself and for my family.
The FCC will come to test the EMF being emitted if they feel your complaint/concern warrants an inspection.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:34 PM

Another issue I have here is that EMF waves travel straight out from the device they are emitted from, in other words parallel to the ground so that is why they are raised so as not to have interference. Geographically, Wood Ridge is raised above Carlstadt and my house sits on a high hill so I am not at ground level with the tower, but more ebbing slightly above the middle. This worries me that my exposure might be slightly higher than if I were at ground level with other structures between us. I am not the only house that seems to be positioned in this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey