Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,698 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I need a recommendation for a traffic lawyer for a court date in Metuchen, NJ.

My wife was pulled over by a cop about a month ago and that's when she found out her Driver's License had been suspended. She got into an accident a year ago and was cited for reckless driving. The address on her DL was not current at that time and we never received the citations or subsequent court summons.

So I need a lawyer as soon as possible to get her court case settled. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 06:49 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Settled? She's going to jail, if she's not already there. Wrong address on license: violation. Failure to appear: violation + contempt of court. Reckless driving: violation. Driving on a suspended license: violation. Hope she's not the breadwinner because she's spending some time in jail and she'll have her license suspended for a long time. I suggest one she gets out, you move out of NJ to a state more tolerant of errors.

(note: I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. I'm shocked that you haven't already gotten tons of letters from lawyers soliciting their business)

Old 10-05-2011, 05:51 AM

89 posts, read 444,926 times
Ken Vercammen pretty much wrote the book on Municipal Practice in NJ. I believe he has an office in Metuchen. I have no affiliation with him or any other practice. You'll want to go local on something like this... Good luck.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:03 AM

98 posts, read 269,143 times
So, your wife moves and she "forgot" to contact DMV to tell them about her new address??? Is that the excuse you're going to use?? Oh yeah, she "just found out" that when she got pulled over her license was suspended. Good one. No wonder auto insurance rates are out of control in NJ: the good drivers are paying up for the drivers that should not be out on the road.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,698 times
mdpesq - Thanks for the pointer. I will look him up

nybbler - As you said, you are not a lawyer, so please keep your incorrect advice to yourself. I am fully aware of the penalties and NO she is NOT going to jail. If you don't have a lawyer to recommend, please don't bother posting.

Tyler77 - It's very easy to judge others, I want to see how clean your record is. NJ drivers pay higher auto insurance because of much bigger crimes line DWI and DUI.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:52 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,665,095 times
Quote:
The address on her DL was not current at that time and we never received the citations or subsequent court summons.
Municipal violations are only required to send notices tom the address of record. As that record was never updated, there is no fault as far as violations are concerned. Failure to appear notices are computerized and generated by ATS. Failure to update the address as per Title 39 falls on the driver.

Quote:
She got into an accident a year ago and was cited for reckless driving. The address on her DL was not current at that time
At the time of the MVA the address was incorrect and she never bothered to inform them of that fact? You can hire a lawyer but there is no where for him to go with this incident. Of course he will be more than happy to take the case at $400 per hour.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:57 PM

312 posts, read 1,164,514 times
What kind of car does she drive? As someone who drives into Metuchen daily I want to make sure I steer clear as the last thing I want is to get into an accident with a reckless driver who does not have proper documents. I hope at least your insurance is updated.

good luck.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 AM

201 posts, read 619,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpesq View Post
Ken Vercammen pretty much wrote the book on Municipal Practice in NJ. I believe he has an office in Metuchen. I have no affiliation with him or any other practice. You'll want to go local on something like this... Good luck.
I think Ken has an office in edison. He lives in the same town as me s.brunswick. His son Brandon was a pretty good wrestler and soccer player for the sb vikings.

Anyway, I hope you don't use that excuse in court that the address was different on the license so that's why you did'nt get the citation. Because your wife got the citation and tickets at the time of the accident from the cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: