Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 12:39 PM

4 posts, read 12,118 times

Advertisements

Considering move to Metuchen. Are there areas of Metuchen that are considered better than others. Also, what areas are closest to train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 12:48 PM

312 posts, read 1,163,790 times
Metuchen is pretty small and i don't think there are any "bad areas" but I personally would not want to be too close to route 1. Everything is really within 2 miles of the train station.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 PM

89 posts, read 444,648 times
Yeah, I have to agree with Art, I wouldn't want to be too close to RT1 either. I actually went to school at St. Joes in Metuchen. My impression was that the area around St. Joes moving towards North Edison (Grove Ave. / Plainfield Ave.) had larger houses and property.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:36 PM

394 posts, read 1,256,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
Everything is really within 2 miles of the train station.
2 miles? Metuchen isn't two miles in any direction! EVERYTHING in Metuchen is w/in 0.7 miles of the train station.

-OMS

Old 06-21-2010, 09:03 AM

12 posts, read 49,191 times
We've been house hunting in Metuchen for the past 4 years and I grew up in Edison as well. My favorite is the area to the East and North of the train station (walking distance to the train). Border streets are Main St., Rt. 27, Amboy Ave. and Grove Av. The best streets within this area are Hillside, Highland, Clarendon, and Rector. The houses around the YMCA and near Tommy's Pond are also very nice. The area near St. Joe's High School has larger split level homes on Willow and Miller. The only issue is that it is not truly walking distance to downtown and the ambiance feels more like Edison rather than Metuchen. However, for the same square footage, they are a bit more affordable. Lastly, Clive Hills (Mason, Norris, Dorian, etc.) is also a very nice area. However, similar to the area near St. Joe's, the ambiance is also more Edison than Metuchen.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodee View Post
We've been house hunting in Metuchen for the past 4 years and I grew up in Edison as well. My favorite is the area to the East and North of the train station (walking distance to the train). Border streets are Main St., Rt. 27, Amboy Ave. and Grove Av. The best streets within this area are Hillside, Highland, Clarendon, and Rector. The houses around the YMCA and near Tommy's Pond are also very nice. The area near St. Joe's High School has larger split level homes on Willow and Miller. The only issue is that it is not truly walking distance to downtown and the ambiance feels more like Edison rather than Metuchen. However, for the same square footage, they are a bit more affordable. Lastly, Clive Hills (Mason, Norris, Dorian, etc.) is also a very nice area. However, similar to the area near St. Joe's, the ambiance is also more Edison than Metuchen.
I'm not sure what you mean by Clive Hills being more like Edison than Metuchen. If you mean that the area has houses with real yards (more than the typical .12 acre found a block or two from the train, then I guess that is true. Or maybe it was just that the sidewalks are, for the most part, level and not uprooted and uneven as they are in other areas of town.

But I've lived in the town for years and Clive Hills has always been thought of as the nicest area of town to live in. As a previous poster noted, everything is within .07 miles of the train station. I walk to town every morning to catch the train (a 12 minute walk, vs the 7 minutes it took when I lived off Amboy Avenue.)

Trust me, as someone who has lived in several areas of town over the years, nothing beats Clive Hills. You can raise your kids in a great area. They can walk on the sidewalks and ride their toy cars. You also get all the advantages of being close to downtown. My hunch is the person who posted the above advice is a relative newcomer to the borough.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:59 AM

271 posts, read 1,018,924 times
You are responding to a 2 year old thread.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:48 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by microfud View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by Clive Hills being more like Edison than Metuchen. If you mean that the area has houses with real yards (more than the typical .12 acre found a block or two from the train, then I guess that is true. Or maybe it was just that the sidewalks are, for the most part, level and not uprooted and uneven as they are in other areas of town.

But I've lived in the town for years and Clive Hills has always been thought of as the nicest area of town to live in. As a previous poster noted, everything is within .07 miles of the train station. I walk to town every morning to catch the train (a 12 minute walk, vs the 7 minutes it took when I lived off Amboy Avenue.)

Trust me, as someone who has lived in several areas of town over the years, nothing beats Clive Hills. You can raise your kids in a great area. They can walk on the sidewalks and ride their toy cars. You also get all the advantages of being close to downtown. My hunch is the person who posted the above advice is a relative newcomer to the borough.
Wow people are territorial.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Wow people are territorial.
Not really. Just the people that come on these boards.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:49 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Not really. Just the people that come on these boards.
Super funny to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey