Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 05:53 PM

239 posts, read 468,007 times

Advertisements

Effective Monday October 17th, 2011, the GSP will no longer allow you to mail in your toll amount if you don't have exact change, instead they have installed cameras at each exact change booth and will send you a $50.00 fine in the mail. They also say this is in effect for toll booths at exits and ramps that are never manned. My question is what happens when the exact change lanes don't register the money you put in which happens quite often? Maybe they need to spend the people's money and have all toll booths manned. They are trying to force everyone to get E-ZPASS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 06:29 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rogers View Post
Effective Monday October 17th, 2011, the GSP will no longer allow you to mail in your toll amount if you don't have exact change, instead they have installed cameras at each exact change booth and will send you a $50.00 fine in the mail. They also say this is in effect for toll booths at exits and ramps that are never manned. My question is what happens when the exact change lanes don't register the money you put in which happens quite often? Maybe they need to spend the people's money and have all toll booths manned. They are trying to force everyone to get E-ZPASS?
And this surprises you?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:50 PM

239 posts, read 468,007 times
Nothing this state does will ever surprise me, this is about what's right and wrong. The GSP needs to man ALL their tollbooths if they want to start fining people $50.00 for a .50 cent toll. The exact change lanes in the unmanned booths don't always work.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
How does an EZ Pass help out of state people driving through?

Old 10-17-2011, 06:13 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
How does an EZ Pass help out of state people driving through?
EZ Pass is in at least 14 states now. From Illinois thru Maine down to Virginia. It's easy people get EZ Pass or put quarters in center console. How lame are people that can't put a few quarters in their car. Florida has sun pass with hardly any toll takers. They send the same fine if you don't have exact change.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:25 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
EZ Pass is in at least 14 states now. From Illinois thru Maine down to Virginia. It's easy people get EZ Pass or put quarters in center console. How lame are people that can't put a few quarters in their car. Florida has sun pass with hardly any toll takers. They send the same fine if you don't have exact change.
And most of those states have an agreement to interconnect their systems with one another.

For the past decade or so, the movement everywhere has been toward cashless tolling. There are still a lot of practical issues to iron out, but it's the way things will be going.

I do think the fine is a little much for a 50-cent toll, but then again, I'm sure the number of people who just blow it off is pretty high.

I do agree with Jersey Man that a little planning into taking your trip isn't that hard to do.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:39 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
I used it all the way when I had to drive from school in Iowa to NJ and back. All toll booths say "E-Z Pass accepted here" no matter what their system is. It really is quite convenient. I know of a few people that dropped it once they starting charging a monthly fee since they hardly used it though.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:42 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
I used to commute back and forth to NY and would pay a special rate. You had to use it at least 5x a week or they'd charge you the full amount anyway so once I was laidoff, 2 years ago, I canceled it. They kept charging me the full amount, even after I requested that the commuter rate be removed.

Anyway, I am not on toll roads much anymore so I have no use for EZ Pass. Highways definitely are not travel-friendly to those without it, it's a bit unfair - but, whatever. I always have change and/or singles ready for when I am on the highways. And, never, have I had an issue with my money not registering.

I'm all for the fines for those that infact "DO" violate the tolls. Fair is fair. If the money doesn't register and you did toss in the money, you can fight it. It will take a long time, but you can do it.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
people get pissed when toll takers get paid a living wage and when they move away from human toll taking to electronic, people get pissed there are no people to take the tolls. unbelievable.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
Actually, I'm all for someone being there to take my money- in the long run, I think it's more affordable to pay people to take your money, than to have it electronically done ... all the violators, people who don't pay, every time a lane breaks down, repairs, etc ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey