Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 PM

9 posts, read 60,874 times

Advertisements

Moving to Gautier Ave in Jersey City from Midwest very soon. Is this area safe to walk? walking at night? are there stores, doctors, pharmacies, libraries, transportation within walking distance? Is it easy to get to NYC? Are there a lot of things to do, or do you have to travel to NY? Any info would be appriciated. thanks......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsong321 View Post
Moving to Gautier Ave in Jersey City from Midwest very soon.

Is this area safe to walk?
I wouldn't fear being stabbed during daylight hours

Quote:
walking at night?
Noooooooooooo!

Quote:
are there stores, doctors, pharmacies, libraries, transportation within walking distance?
99-cent stores, chicken wing places, liquor stores, yes. Fancy boutiques, Asian-fusion bistros, no.

Quote:
Is it easy to get to NYC?
Not really. There are buses running up JFK Blvd to Journal Square, and you can take PATH trains to NYC from there. Probably takes an hour to get to Midtown, door-to-door.

Quote:
Are there a lot of things to do, or do you have to travel to NY?
There are bars, restaurants, a big state park, in other parts of Jersey City and in Hoboken. Going to NYC isn't necessary for entertainment.

Quote:
Any info would be appriciated. thanks......
It's really not a nice area. It's close to Lincoln Park, which is a nice park, but not a place you want to find yourself after sunset. It's a hard place to own a car (not much street parking, and too much demand for it), but transit isn't extensive or reliable enough in that part of town to make living car-free easy. If you're into the grimey urban pioneer lifestyle it may be a fun experience for you, but if you have little tolerance for property crime, reading about muggings or gang murders on your street, etc., then don't do it.

Either way, I hope you haven't signed a lease already. If you can get something in Journal Square or Downtown Jersey City (not sure your budget), that would be much better.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:12 AM

88 posts, read 263,580 times
How disappointing. I was also looking to live in west Bergen near Clinton. Houses are beautiful and cheap and the area is prime for growth. Eventually this will be an area in demand as all the ignorant/poor ppl will be moved into Newark, then further out then out of jersey city. It only makes sense. People want an area close to the city and to be in a city area and jersey city is it. I see JSQ next, then perhaps west Bergen then heights then Greenville.
I wouldn't mind moving in, getting a high security system and a gun. I'ts a city area and city areas are never any cities without crime. There's crime in downtown NJ (an area that belonged to PR people and still a lot live there and there are gang fights all the time) the JCPD are lazy and scared of getting shot but that's their job

Old 11-26-2011, 07:21 PM

thanks everyone for the info. Im gonna give it a try and keep my eyes open for another place if nes. In the mean time, I do like my roommates and really want to move so- wish me good luck :}......

Old 11-26-2011, 07:37 PM

P.S. I am moving from North East Ohio, there is plenty of crime and has been doc'ed as a meth capital resently. This is not even Cleveland, its a small town outside - with farms and cows and stuff. Lots of churchs etc, I think you get what i mean. I am from the 'burbs of Cleveland where there is real life, for a job out here. I get the feeling there is crime no matter where you go , so Im going to step out on faith and move where I can have a life where the buses dont stop running at 2pm, there are all kinds of people and something to do besides go to church or the bar. I gotta get a life again, and a job as there are none up here. JC here I come :}......

Old 11-26-2011, 07:59 PM

well if you're only renting, who cares? you can always move. i've been driving around the neighborhood MANY times to get a feel for it. Its block by block up there, a lot of black, asians and very few whites if you care. It is a city so there will always be crime. A lot of muggings and shootings but give them what you have and dont carry much on you. $10 at the most, basic phone and no jewelery. The area is changing and just like harlem was gentrified, jersey city will be too. Working people need a place to live instead of project rats who do nothing but collect benefits.
Anyway, check out google maps (you can see the st view since you wont be able to see it prior to moving) and also check out spotcrime.com

Old 11-27-2011, 02:35 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,576 times
Quote:
P.S. I am moving from North East Ohio, there is plenty of crime and has been doc'ed as a meth capital resently. This is not even Cleveland, its a small town outside - with farms and cows and stuff. Lots of churchs etc, I think you get what i mean. I am from the 'burbs of Cleveland where there is real life, for a job out here. I get the feeling there is crime no matter where you go , so Im going to step out on faith and move where I can have a life where the buses dont stop running at 2pm, there are all kinds of people and something to do besides go to church or the bar. I gotta get a life again, and a job as there are none up here. JC here I come :}......

Ehhhh? Why not just go to Bayonne (one town over) and have a lot more peace of mind.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:09 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,623,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Ehhhh? Why not just go to Bayonne (one town over) and have a lot more peace of mind.
I agree. But there is a new breed of urban pioneers out there. Look at Hoboken, when i grew up that was considered the slums to people that lived in other towns. My father grew up there and couldn't wait to get out of there. Gee, only if we kept that brownstone in the family.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post

$$$ and why be scared to move into a neighborhood? Most of the shootings are drug related or people they have rivals with. No need to feel intimidated by black/spanish people. The men in society today are so scared, they would pay 3k in rent to live in manhattan to avoid harlem. I'm white and have been all around washington heights/harlem. No one is just going to come out of the corner and shoot you. Maybe mug you but i'm not rich and I dont even have anything to give? And it broad daylight? I wouldent even stroll around nice areas at night, why wouldent muggers hang around rich areas at night waiting for a good hit?
My husband (when younger) had to prove himself to others and wouldent take threats from no one. Now they're coming up with a bullying law to protect kids so they dont have to fight for themself?
I'm all for living in a ghetto neighborhood. Why not? They shouldent be allowed to be the only ones who can pay cheap rent? If you're that worried, get protection

Old 11-30-2011, 03:56 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1986 View Post
$$$ and why be scared to move into a neighborhood? Most of the shootings are drug related or people they have rivals with. No need to feel intimidated by black/spanish people. The men in society today are so scared, they would pay 3k in rent to live in manhattan to avoid harlem. I'm white and have been all around washington heights/harlem. No one is just going to come out of the corner and shoot you. Maybe mug you but i'm not rich and I dont even have anything to give? And it broad daylight? I wouldent even stroll around nice areas at night, why wouldent muggers hang around rich areas at night waiting for a good hit?
My husband (when younger) had to prove himself to others and wouldent take threats from no one. Now they're coming up with a bullying law to protect kids so they dont have to fight for themself?
I'm all for living in a ghetto neighborhood. Why not? They shouldent be allowed to be the only ones who can pay cheap rent? If you're that worried, get protection
Then go for it, what the hell do I care. But know that Bayonne is not expensive, and you will pay the same amount in rent as the neighborhood in JC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey