Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 06:24 PM

5 posts, read 11,223 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking to move to an NJ suburb that would offer an easy commute to Jersey City. I currently live and work in Jersey City (near Exchange Place). I'm open to apartment complexes as well as private houses.

I've only lived in NJ for a year and it will be difficult to give up walking to work but have had enough of the urban lifestyle and paying $400/mth to park 2 cars

I've been told by coworkers that Millburn, Maplewood, and Westfield are great areas. I just have not been able to find much of anything on sites like Craigslist.

Does anyone know of any websites I can use to search for rentals in those areas? Also, are there any other neighborhoods you would suggest?

I am looking for a 1-2 bedroom that is reasonably priced (i.e., under $1,700) in an area that has good restaurants, shopping, etc. I don't really care about school districts at the moment as we don't have any children and are not planning to do so anytime soon.

I don't mind having to drive as I have a car and would probably drive to work, but would like to be near NJ transit as well.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,084 times
Check out Rutherford/East Rutherford. Very nice downtown section, NJ Transit station and good bus options. For that budget you can probably find a pretty nice place within an easy walk to the train and downtown. And if you wanted you could take that train to Hoboken, then the PATH or Hudson Bergen Light Rail to Exchange Place rather than driving to work.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:41 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Check out Rutherford/East Rutherford. Very nice downtown section, NJ Transit station and good bus options. For that budget you can probably find a pretty nice place within an easy walk to the train and downtown. And if you wanted you could take that train to Hoboken, then the PATH or Hudson Bergen Light Rail to Exchange Place rather than driving to work.
I think Rutherford is a good suggestion.

Also, OP, I recently started working in that part of J.C. (office moved from the city), and if you have the monthly train ticket for Rutherford to Hoboken, you show that ticket on the Light Rail and you don't get charged anything.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:10 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
You may also want to try Summit and Springfield. Both with transit access, within 30 minutes from JC and great suburbs.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,637 times
I use trulia.com and zillow.com to find rentals, much more reliable than craig's list. You will probably have to pay a realtor fee though.

Off the top of my head, towns with nice downtowns and access via rail to Hoboken to get the light rail to Jersey City.

1. Rutherford (closest for sure)
2. Ridgewood (wealthiest town of the ones listed)
3. Montclair (young and hip, but avoid renting near the Bay St. Train Station)
4. Maplewood (love this town - avoid the Irvington border)
5. Westfield (to a lesser extent, as you'll have to transfer at Newark for Hoboken)

Old 11-09-2011, 10:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think Rutherford is a good suggestion.

Also, OP, I recently started working in that part of J.C. (office moved from the city), and if you have the monthly train ticket for Rutherford to Hoboken, you show that ticket on the Light Rail and you don't get charged anything.
I just realized that there's an even cheaper way (I didn't realize at the time you first asked the question about Rutherford a while back, but I'm looking at a map now and realized it): You can take a bus to Union City and then take the HBLR into Downtown Jersey City.

You need to buy a 2-zone bus pass for $72, and it'll also work on the HBLR. It's probably slower, but it's cheaper than paying $116 per month for the NJT rail pass.

Sorry I didn't realize that before, but I always think of the train when I think of Rutherford, and not really the buses.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 PM

5 posts, read 11,223 times
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will definitely look into those areas and come back with any further questions.

I'd rather not pay a realtor fee but I will if it turns out to be the best option.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:03 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue523 View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will definitely look into those areas and come back with any further questions.

I'd rather not pay a realtor fee but I will if it turns out to be the best option.
All the good apts. are listed with realtors.

The scams and junk are in the paper or craigslist.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:06 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
All the good apts. are listed with realtors.

The scams and junk are in the paper or craigslist.
The realtor fee can often be negotiated so that the landlord pays a portion. Sometimes half. Sometimes even the whole thing if the apartment has been vacant for awhile. If the apartment has been vacant for a long time, just make sure it is not overpriced. That is usually the problem when an apartment sits for too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey