Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:55 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Just curious, do you guys (the "freedom at all costs" folks) think bars and clubs should be allowed to stay open 24 hours if they want (rather than 2am), or that someone should be able to put in an adult bookstore where ever they want? Where IYP is the line drawn regarding government say-so in local businesses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:15 AM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just curious, do you guys (the "freedom at all costs" folks) think bars and clubs should be allowed to stay open 24 hours if they want (rather than 2am), or that someone should be able to put in an adult bookstore where ever they want? Where IYP is the line drawn regarding government say-so in local businesses?
For me, the line is drawn where children are concerned. The government has no business protecting free adult citizens from themselves or their own stupidity, but it is reasonable to expect them to protect children from the stupidity of adults. I have no problem with someone opening an adult bookstore so long as there are strictly enforced penalties if children enter the store. I also have no problem with people in a decent neighborhood setting up video cameras, posting photos of the bookstore's customers for everyone on the internet to see until the bookstore went out of business due to lack of customers.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I also have no problem with people in a decent neighborhood setting up video cameras, posting photos of the bookstore's customers for everyone on the internet to see until the bookstore went out of business due to lack of customers.
But you would have a problem with it in a bad neighborhood?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
But you would have a problem with it in a bad neighborhood?

No. That is not what I meant, although I can see how it would be interpreted that way. What I meant was that this type of action would be a sign that the neighborhood has decent people in it, and decent people are free to take matters into their own hands, so long as they don't break the law. In this definition, a "decent" neighborhood could just as well be in a crime ridden section of Newark as it is in Short Hills. It was stated poorly on my part.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:17 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just curious, do you guys (the "freedom at all costs" folks) think bars and clubs should be allowed to stay open 24 hours if they want (rather than 2am)
Yes, though I have no issues with noise restrictions if they are in/close to residential areas.

Quote:
, or that someone should be able to put in an adult bookstore where ever they want? Where IYP is the line drawn regarding government say-so in local businesses?
As long as it's zoned commercial, yes. As for where the "line" is, that's too broad a question, you'd need to be more specific as to what you're referring to.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
Something came up in the car forum that made me think of this thread. How do people view the fact that there is a law you can't pump your own gas? Are those that are against gov't interference in business for or against this? Personally I don't see them as being that different.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Something came up in the car forum that made me think of this thread. How do people view the fact that there is a law you can't pump your own gas? Are those that are against gov't interference in business for or against this? Personally I don't see them as being that different.
I've always been torn. The law is morally wrong...but I do love having someone else pump my gas, and not having to pay extra for full service.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I've always been torn. The law is morally wrong...but I do love having someone else pump my gas, and not having to pay extra for full service.
The cost of the attendants are built into the price of the gasoline. So, technically, you do pay extra.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
christianity sucks

so my mom can't get that sexy purse on sunday @ that sexy mall?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The cost of the attendants are built into the price of the gasoline. So, technically, you do pay extra.
So they say. Only if NJ ever got self serve, they would most likely keep the prices the same, and raise it if you want full serve. Like anyone who has lived in this state knows, prices only go in one direction here, and it ain't down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey