Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times

Advertisements

(Note:I am an African American myself. I am not racist, just curious.)
I read an article on how the black population is moving down south but when I checked the census I seen a increase in NJ.

The black population was lower in 2000

http://censtats.census.gov/data/NJ/04034.pdf

2010 Census Interactive Population Search (http://2010.census.gov/2010census/popmap/ipmtext.php?fl=34 - broken link)

In fact these articles only show a decrease in white residents in New Jersey.

White Population Shrinks as Immigrants Increase in New Jersey Suburbs - WNYC

Census data: Minority population grows across NJ | NJ.com

Also, They show a minority increase in North Jersey which is weird. I thought whites were moving back to the city? They seem to be moving out of places like Paterson, Newark, Jersey City, East Orange, Orange, and Irvington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Its not really whites moving back to the cities , but Younger Generations....whites are moving south and west. But there appears to be an increase in Eastern European and Russian populations....so that trend might reverse....

Old 02-03-2012, 07:13 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
(Note:I am an African American myself. I am not racist, just curious.)
I read an article on how the black population is moving down south but when I checked the census I seen a increase in NJ.

The black population was lower in 2000

http://censtats.census.gov/data/NJ/04034.pdf

2010 Census Interactive Population Search (http://2010.census.gov/2010census/popmap/ipmtext.php?fl=34 - broken link)

In fact these articles only show a decrease in white residents in New Jersey.

White Population Shrinks as Immigrants Increase in New Jersey Suburbs - WNYC

Census data: Minority population grows across NJ | NJ.com

Also, They show a minority increase in North Jersey which is weird. I thought whites were moving back to the city? They seem to be moving out of places like Paterson, Newark, Jersey City, East Orange, Orange, and Irvington.

I think it's safe to assume that more black families and individuals are moving out of NJ than into NJ, but it's also likely that births make up for the losses to migration and deaths. Say, for example (and I'm totally making up numbers, just to illustrate the point) 300,000 black people live in Essex County. If 30,000 left NJ for other states over a 10 year period, maybe 15,000 moved into Essex from other states, resulting in a net loss of 15,000 black residents due to migration. So the headline "black people are moving out" would be true. Then consider that perhaps 50,000 black children were born, and 20,000 black people died, so that's a net gain of 30,000. Compare the migration ratio to the birth/death ratio, and the black population would have grown by 15,000, despite a large number of people moving out.

This is the kind of thing we're seeing statewide. More US citizens move out of NJ than move in, but with births and international immigration, we make up for the losses and the state's population continues to grow.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 PM

181 posts, read 378,631 times
Well it's not a mass exodus. A lot of the blacks I've seen who have moved to the south are young and went to college down there and just stayed after they graduated. Then you have the ones who are going down to retire or are just tired of city life. I don't think that enough are going down there though to really put a dent in the northern black population.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:55 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
You forgot the biggest one:
Caribbean and African immigrants seem to have increased in Nj.

As a whole though,I think the majority of whites live in South Jersey,and a lot of Asians and Hispanics live in Central Jersey,like New Brunswick(Mexican and South Americans though,not Cubans and Puerto ricans)

Old 02-04-2012, 07:25 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You forgot the biggest one:
Caribbean and African immigrants seem to have increased in Nj.

As a whole though,I think the majority of whites live in South Jersey,and a lot of Asians and Hispanics live in Central Jersey,like New Brunswick(Mexican and South Americans though,not Cubans and Puerto ricans)
You really have to watch out for those "MANALAPAN MEXICANS"

Old 02-04-2012, 10:00 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
You really have to watch out for those "MANALAPAN MEXICANS"
Why?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why?
I think he's kidding. Manapalan is close to 90% Nonhispanic White.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:16 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times
I agree. You have to take into consideration natural increase and immigration. That's why many African-Americans are both moving south and increasing their populations in the north.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 PM

149 posts, read 261,280 times
because many blacks leave ny to go to nj, so any black loss is offset by nyc blacks moving in. also african and carribean immigrants. just because the black population is growing doesnt mean the native born black population is growing. truth is blacks are being mixed out, killed and swamp by mostly non black immigrants but also black immigrants. none of this is in the best interest of blacks although the mixing is not bad it will just mean the non mixed native blacks (we're already mixed, so when i say nonmixed i mean the ones with 2 black parents by usa standards) will be treated worse. black immigrants (especially non hispanic ones) will use blackness to fill quota and their non americaness to distinguish themselves from us. so expect more non american black enclaves. black hispanics will try to deny they are black all together (not all but most). non black immigrants who already look down on the blacks in their home country will bring that mentality here. so all groups practically dont care for native black americans, so diversity will destroy black america. we dont need no diversity everytime u have diversity it leads to conflict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey