Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 AM

167 posts, read 310,933 times

Advertisements

For some it is a horror. A 14 year old friend was raped had a child and put the child up for adoption before abortion was available. It was a horror for her then and it changed her life. Every time this bill comes up she is stressed. What good would it do for that adoptee to know her father was a rapist?
If that was your daughter would you feel the same.
(It's because of people like you who think it's ok for and allow privacy to be taken away at any time that privacy guarantees don't mean anything anymore. )
Not against opening birth certificates for mutual consent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 AM

683 posts, read 465,002 times
I have to agree with Tarp. There are many companies/agencies or in plain english, baby brokers that prey on young girls in trouble. I've seen the websites (although they weren't based in NJ).

It's not a good thing.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
So a child might be able to see his own birth certificate, and know who his parents were. The horror, the horror.
why would someone say something as silly as this? just because something isnt "the horror, the horror" doesnt mean it should be allowed.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla151 View Post
We shouldn't be taking choices away from woman. Closed adoption is a viable choice.
As an adoptee, I disagree. I've suffered from the rejection of my adoption all my life, because my birth parents didn't have the nerve to face me and explain why my birth was inconvenient to their plans. I suppose I should thank them, because my life is an example of personal responsibility, but frankly I think this would've been a better lesson learned from their example.

Even criminals have the right to stand and face their accusers and give their plea. While it may be found lacking in the face of their crimes, at least there is closure. We that were adopted have none.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I've suffered from the rejection of my adoption all my life, because my birth parents didn't have the nerve to face me and explain why my birth was inconvenient to their plans.
why should they feel obligated to explain anything to you?

everyone wants to have their sad story it seems. "ohhh i have suffered terribly as an adoptee, i cant even face my accuser! woe, is me!"

Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 AM

572 posts, read 2,022,278 times
Wow...what a completely insensitive and inappropriate response to that post.

I am not saying that every adoptee feels this way, but people are entitled to their feelings and opinions without someone making completely childish comments like yours.

Maybe you should take a look in the mirror and think long and hard about the kind of person you are or you have become...because clearly your parents did not teach you any manners.

There is a word for people like you that I am not able to say hear but it starts with a C and ends with a t....C U Next Tuesday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why should they feel obligated to explain anything to you?

everyone wants to have their sad story it seems. "ohhh i have suffered terribly as an adoptee, i cant even face my accuser! woe, is me!"

Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
Wow...what a completely insensitive and inappropriate response to that post.

I am not saying that every adoptee feels this way, but people are entitled to their feelings and opinions without someone making completely childish comments like yours.

Maybe you should take a look in the mirror and think long and hard about the kind of person you are or you have become...because clearly your parents did not teach you any manners.

There is a word for people like you that I am not able to say hear but it starts with a C and ends with a t....C U Next Tuesday!
insensitive regarding what? what exactly is that person's tragedy? the birth parents didnt want to raise her (for whatever reason) so she was adopted. she wants sympathy for her terrible tragedy, but she deserves no sympathy because there was no tragedy. now she wishes to use her phony sorrow to abuse the privacy of others.

anyway, thanks for the lecture. im not sure what word you are trying to come up with at the end of your post, im sure its something very mature.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
As an adoptee, I disagree. I've suffered from the rejection of my adoption all my life, because my birth parents didn't have the nerve to face me and explain why my birth was inconvenient to their plans. I suppose I should thank them, because my life is an example of personal responsibility, but frankly I think this would've been a better lesson learned from their example.

Even criminals have the right to stand and face their accusers and give their plea. While it may be found lacking in the face of their crimes, at least there is closure. We that were adopted have none.
And if knowing this information would be made available to the child pushed them towards abortion instead? What are your thoughts on that?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:35 AM

What you think is not a tragedy is clearly a tragedy for the poster and it is not your place to tell someone how he or she should feel about a situation in their life.

A tragedy happening to you might seem relatively harmless to me...but it is no less a tragedy in your own head and I would have no right to look at you and tell you that your are wrong to have feelings and stop whining. It is called compassion and empathy which are clearly 2 things that you do not understand or apply in your daily life.

Are you adopted? Do you know how you might feel growing up thinking that your parents did not want you?

I am not and I would not assume that I would not care knowing my whole life that I was "given up" I have 2 cousins that were adopted. 1 is completely content not knowing anything about where he was born and who his parents were, the other is yearning to know his birth parents and know as much as possible about the country whwere he was born...neither is wrong in their feelings and both are entitled to handle it they way they see fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
insensitive regarding what? what exactly is that person's tragedy? the birth parents didnt want to raise her (for whatever reason) so she was adopted. she wants sympathy for her terrible tragedy, but she deserves no sympathy because there was no tragedy. now she wishes to use her phony sorrow to abuse the privacy of others.

anyway, thanks for the lecture. im not sure what word you are trying to come up with at the end of your post, im sure its something very mature.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:38 AM

Knowing this information is not going to push anyone towards abortion. People who choose adoption will still choose adoption and people who choose abortion will still abort.

It is none of your business what 1 person chooses to do over another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And if knowing this information would be made available to the child pushed them towards abortion instead? What are your thoughts on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey