Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:33 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats ridiculous , its not a safety hazard to camp out in the left lane....
The left lane is not a driving lane; it's used for passing. It's also illegal for drivers to pass on the right, which is what a left-lane [you know] causes a person to do.

It's against the law to drive in the left lane. When you get a ticket, tell the judge it's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 03:47 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
The left lane is not a driving lane; it's used for passing. It's also illegal for drivers to pass on the right, which is what a left-lane [you know] causes a person to do.

It's against the law to drive in the left lane. When you get a ticket, tell the judge it's ridiculous.

Although I agree with you on most points, you are incorrect about it being illegal to pass on the right.

To quote the appropriate statute (N.J.S.A. 39:4-85):

"Most passing should be on the left. Passing on the right is allowed only on roadways with more than one lane going in the same direction, if vehicles on the roadway are moving in two or more substantially continuous lines, or when the motorist ahead is making a left turn and there is room to pass. Never pass on the right shoulder of the road."

Ask yourself this question:
If it is illegal to pass on the right, does that mean that all of us in the middle and right lanes have to drive at 35 mph on...let's say...The NJ Turnpike, or I-80, or I-287--if there is someone camped out in the left lane, driving at 35 mph?

Never mind--I'll answer it for you.
Clearly, the powers that be did realize that it is necessary in some cases--perhaps in many cases--to pass other vehicles on the right. The above-noted statute is your assurance that it is legal, under the circumstances described, to pass on the right.

However, I strongly recommend that you do it quickly, so as to be in the left/middle lane hog's blind spot for as brief a time as possible.

Last edited by Retriever; 02-29-2012 at 03:58 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 03:53 PM

52 posts, read 130,907 times

"To Serve and Protect and Pwn Slow Ass Drivers" - YouTube

Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
The guy on the radio calls the left lane dicks. lets call it the new left lane dick law.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:15 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Although I agree with you on most points, you are incorrect about it being illegal to pass on the right.

To quote the appropriate statute (N.J.S.A. 39:4-85):

"Most passing should be on the left. Passing on the right is allowed only on roadways with more than one lane going in the same direction, if vehicles on the roadway are moving in two or more substantially continuous lines, or when the motorist ahead is making a left turn and there is room to pass. Never pass on the right shoulder of the road."

Ask yourself this question:
If it is illegal to pass on the right, does that mean that all of us in the middle and right lanes have to drive at 35 mph on...let's say...The NJ Turnpike, or I-80, or I-287--if there is someone camped out in the left lane, driving at 35 mph?

Never mind--I'll answer it for you.
Clearly, the powers that be did realize that it is necessary in some cases--perhaps in many cases--to pass other vehicles on the right. The above-noted statute is your assurance that it is legal, under the circumstances described, to pass on the right.

However, I strongly recommend that you do it quickly, so as to be in the left/middle lane hog's blind spot for as brief a time as possible.
Thanks, I stand corrected. My bad, although I'm not comfortable passing on the right. I always think the person in the left lane doesn't know I'm there.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:18 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
it's ALL about $$$

Exactly...It's all about the money.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
I had no idea NJ had such a law. It must be rough on all those NY drivers, for whom a left passing lane is a totally unknown concept.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Thanks, I stand corrected. My bad, although I'm not comfortable passing on the right. I always think the person in the left lane doesn't know I'm there.

They probably don't know that you are there, simply because they are most likely oblivious to what is going on around them--hence why they are camping out in the left lane.
That is why I suggest passing them quickly.

A little tap on the horn just before you pass them might be a good idea also.
Yes--I know that it is not nice to wake the dead, but...a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...or something to that effect.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
fines may increase for left-lane campers on n.j. Highways
I love to see that start being enforced.

I hate passing on the right.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
So the idea is to fine one law breaker in order to allow other law breakers free access to exceed the speed limit?

Yep, harping on the left lane slow pokes has the 80mph+ speeders salivating and gives them the impression the 65 mph speed limit is just a joke and 80mph + is officially sanctioned.

Of all the traffic violations to raise the fine on!

Guess you don't realize in your zeal for autobahn speeds you are simply directing a pick pocket's hand into your wallet to supplement municipal and state coffers with more of your hard earned cash.

No wonder NJ is the land of the fleeced and will always remain so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey