Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 PM

468 posts, read 785,746 times

Advertisements

I am a half-blooded Italian who is a lifelong Southerner. My father's parents were Italian immigrants to Mississippi. I have been somewhat sensitive about that part of my heritage, with all the negative portrayals of Italian Americans in the media over the years. Recently "The Sopranos" came and went and was considered the greatest thing since sliced bread, according to a lot of TV critics. I have only watched a few minutes of it, but the violence and profanity were too much for me. For those of you leaving in north Jersey and/or are Italian American, how ethnically "real" did you find this show? I'm not accusing anyone of being a mobster or knowing anyone who is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
The Sopranos was a reality show that was disguised at a fictional TV series- it's 100% real. Didn't you know that???

Old 03-22-2012, 01:26 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
It was loosely based on the real New Jersey Mafia, "The DeCavalcante Family".

Real Sopranos, The DeCavalcante Family PART 1 - YouTube

Old 03-22-2012, 01:28 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
heh - it's funny because in The Sopranos they actually had a minor set of scenes that dealt exactly with this issue.

Trying to remember way back, but I believe it was someone who Dr. Melfi was dating would get up in arms about her dealings with Tony, how their actions marginalized him, her and the rest of the legitimate italian-american crowd

Stereotypes are just that and quite frankly if I were to get offended, I would be more offended by the people on Jersey Shore than I would be by the Sopranos (mainly because i've spent more time around those type of people than those that are on the Sopranos) ...... however, both are simply caricatures ..... a very small portion of a demographic that is then exagerated for effect

Old 03-22-2012, 01:59 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
It was fiction but the Feds used to hear all the mobsters talking about the previous episode on Monday mornings. Big fans.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:08 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
We could tell you, but then we'd have to kill you. Your choice...

Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM

201 posts, read 619,237 times
I heard somewhere it was loosely based on some North Jersey Italian crime family. Can someone verify this?

Old 03-22-2012, 04:25 PM

18,454 posts, read 15,236,363 times
According to David Chase, Tony was modeled after Ruggiero "Richie the Boot" Boiardo. The Boiardo family lived on a large estate in my hometown of Livingston, NJ. As kids, we used to play in the woods behind the estate, and scare each other into thinking guys with guns were going to come after us. LOL. Ironically, his grandson is an orthopedic surgeon who I occasionally work with. Also, ironically (or not), the other large estate in town was owned by the Kean family who was the governor of the State. Chris Christie is from Livingston as well.

If you google Ruggiero Boiardo and David Chase, I'm sure you can find the interview.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 PM

468 posts, read 785,746 times
I wasn't asking if "The Sopranos" was based on real people. I was asking if the characters were, aside from the criminal element, realistic representations of people in the north New Jersey area. I hope this eliminates any confusion.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 PM

18,454 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I wasn't asking if "The Sopranos" was based on real people. I was asking if the characters were, aside from the criminal element, realistic representations of people in the north New Jersey area. I hope this eliminates any confusion.
In that case, there are almost 9 million people in NJ. The Sopranos is a "realistic representation" of a small minority of those 9 million people. I'm sure everyone up here either knows or has run into people like that, but again, they are a minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey